2006 Draft, Name to Remember

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:
Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State.

He is our answer at FS in round 2.
If we're looking to convert a CB to FS to fill our need, I'd rather draft Cedric Griffin, CB, Texas and convert him to FS. He's a tough hitter/good tackler in the secondary. Good cover corner BUT I think would be a better FS in the pros. Should be available in the 2nd-3rd round area.....

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
5mics said:
If we're looking to convert a CB to FS to fill our need, I'd rather draft Cedric Griffin, CB, Texas and convert him to FS. He's a tough hitter/good tackler in the secondary. Good cover corner BUT I think would be a better FS in the pros. Should be available in the 2nd-3rd round area.....
Is there a law against a Safety playing FS?

Rush 2112

Reaction score
5mics said:
True BUT FS is an immediate need. If we pick a FS w/ our #1, he's an immediate starter. Would cement our secondary. I hope we do pick a FS w/ our #1 but I'd rather have Michael Huff instead. Landry would be my 2nd choice..... :cool:

I bet it would be tough to prove to BP and Ireland that FS is an immediate 1st round need.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
I don't see FS talent to warrant our #1.

We are close to BPA - truly

We need to Beef up our Lines further. Weak WR draft.
LB as we change out Dat and Als also.

FB/TE Hybrid another thought.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
FS needs to have corner cover skills to make big plays in the NFL.

Natedawg44

Reaction score
I'm curious what do some of the UT homers on this board think of Micheal Huff compared to Quentin Jammer. Since they both played FS/CB and for Texas. How does he compare?

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
He's a thought if on the board in 4th round. May not have athletecism/speed to play FS in NFL. Sounds more like a SS

Dawan Landry
S, Georgia Tech
6-217 4.60
War Room analysis
Strengths: Has good size and a muscular build. Is a punishing hitter who plays with a mean streak. Never stops hustling, and is an excellent open-field tackler. Shows tremendous instincts, sees the field well, takes good angles to the ball and shows a great closing burst. Shows good ball skills. Is effective in the box, and is an effective blitzer.

Weaknesses: Lacks the speed to stay with fast receivers. Lacks elite athleticism to recover quickly from mistakes. Can get fooled by play-action fakes, and must develop better discipline.

Bottom line: Landry, a versatile athlete who began college as a quarterback, has been the starter at free safety since midway through his sophomore season. If he can improve his 40 time and show better athleticism at postseason workouts, Landry could move up draft boards. If not, he'll be a mid-Day 2 pick.

Nors, *** is this guy? This thread is about Laron Landry from LSU. Not about Dawan Landry from Georgia Tech.

:banghead:

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Hostile said:
Is there a law against a Safety playing FS?
Actually, I'd rather not do that myself. I was comparing Griffin to Zemaitis that Displaced Cowboys brought up earlier. I'd rather have a FS who would be able to cover WRs (and is a good tackler) and Huff can do that.....

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Rush 2112 said:
I bet it would be tough to prove to BP and Ireland that FS is an immediate 1st round need.
No, can't say that FS would be the #1 objective of Tuna and Ireland BUT Huff's my guy, so I'll be on that badwagon until draft time..... :cool:

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Natedawg44 said:
I'm curious what do some of the UT homers on this board think of Micheal Huff compared to Quentin Jammer. Since they both played FS/CB and for Texas. How does he compare?
I truly believe Huff is better than Jammer. He has better spedd, quickness, coverage ability, etc. Jammer was over-rated as a CB to have been picked so high. Even though I bleed burnt orange, I was on the Roy Williams bandwagon during that draft. I was SO happy SD decided to go for Jammer cuz if they didn't, I believe we would have drafted him instead of Roy. I saw what Roy did to my 'Horns while he was at Oklahoma. I knew he would be a great player for us!

Btw, SD needs to move Jammer to FS where he belongs. Then I think he can finally live up to the expectations of where he was drafted. He'd make an outstanding FS.....

Cbz40

The Grand Poobah
Reaction score
5mics said:
I truly believe Huff is better than Jammer. He has better spedd, quickness, coverage ability, etc. Jammer was over-rated as a CB to have been picked so high. Even though I bleed burnt orange, I was on the Roy Williams bandwagon during that draft. I was SO happy SD decided to go for Jammer cuz if they didn't, I believe we would have drafted him instead of Roy. I saw what Roy did to my 'Horns while he was at Oklahoma. I knew he would be a great player for us!

Btw, SD needs to move Jammer to FS where he belongs. Then I think he can finally live up to the expectations of where he was drafted. He'd make an outstanding FS.....

Michael Huff just happen to be my guy as well.......I think you covered his credentials very well.

5mics

Next Year's Champions
Reaction score
Cbz40 said:
Michael Huff just happen to be my guy as well.......I think you covered his credentials very well.
Can't wait for the draft, huh Cbz? I enjoy being a draftnik...So what do ya think: Vince Young comes out and is drafted by the Jets? :)

dmq

If I'm so pretty, why am I available?
Reaction score
Maybe a FS later in the draft, but w/ a 3-4 expect LBs early and often.

VACowboy

Reaction score
dmq said:
Maybe a FS later in the draft, but w/ a 3-4 expect LBs early and often.

Exactly.

Linebacker is the impact position in the 3-4 and the only impact player Dallas has there is Ware. If the players are there I wouldn't be surprised to see LBs in two of the first three rounds. The guys I really like are Bobby Carpenter, Elvis Dumervil and Kai Parham. Some people around here see Aaron Brooks falling into the 20's or even into the second, but I don't think he'll make it out of the top ten. I guarantee you his knee won't be an issue. He won't get past Parcells. THIS is an impact football player.

If I could project my perfect draft for the Cowboys:

1> Bobby Carpenter (LB)
2> Elvis Dumervil (LB)
3> Jermey Trueblood (OT)
5> Will Allen (OG)

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
Exactly.

Linebacker is the impact position in the 3-4 and the only impact player Dallas has there is Ware. If the players are there I wouldn't be surprised to see LBs in two of the first three rounds. The guys I really like are Bobby Carpenter, Elvis Dumervil and Kai Parham. Some people around here see Aaron Brooks falling into the 20's or even into the second, but I don't think he'll make it out of the top ten. I guarantee you his knee won't be an issue. He won't get past Parcells. THIS is an impact football player.

If I could project my perfect draft for the Cowboys:

1> Bobby Carpenter (LB)
2> Elvis Dumervil (LB)
3> Jermey Trueblood (OT)
5> Will Allen (OG)
2004 Defensive MVP in a 3-4 defense...FS Ed Reed.

Bobby Carpenter got hurt. He will probably drop out of the 1st round. I'll take Laron Landry in the 1st and Carpenter in a later round and say our defense will slaughter people.

kartr

Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
Yes I did. I agree with Hostile here, we really need Landry. Having been a long time LSU homer, I have watched this kid develop into a top FS. My fear is that New England or Miami will draft him ahead of us. Saban brought Landry to LSU, and we all know how much Belichick loves LSU defensive players.

I'm a big LSU fan too, I'd also like to see them get Jamarcus Russell in a couple of years too. No telling what he could do with real coaching instead of Les Miles' 'dear in headlights' style.

kartr

Reaction score
jterrell said:
I have been trying to get Ali Landry without much luck. I guess this guy would do:)

Yeah, a lot of us would like to mind-meld with Ms. Landry.

kartr

Reaction score
Displaced Cowboy said:
Alan Zemaitis, CB, Penn State.

He is our answer at FS in round 2.

Yeah, he is just awsome. I would be more than happy if we could get him.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Jammer was a decent safety in college. He was a big hitter, but he lacked awareness in zone coverage. Same thing he is lacking at corner. He is better when allowed to be physical, but not as good when playing off the receiver. The 5 yard rule takes away from his strengths. Huff may not be as physical as Jammer in bump and run, but he can still do it. He has good speed and quickness and good awareness. Can probably still play corner at the next level, but safetey will be where he is best utilized.

Someone mentioned drafting a left offensive tackle. If that were done, I could see Flozell being moved back to right tackle. He has played it before. I think with his contract, Dallas will hang on to him at least one more season.

Dallas won't be looking for a OLB in free agency or the 1st round unless they just stumble upon a great deal. Obviously, Ware is the man at one position. They will hope someone steps up at the other. They will find a servicable guy and that is what they need. Other positions such as offensive tackle lack even servicable players and really need good production to make the team better.