2006 Draft, Name to Remember

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
joseephuss said:
Jammer was a decent safety in college. He was a big hitter, but he lacked awareness in zone coverage. Same thing he is lacking at corner. He is better when allowed to be physical, but not as good when playing off the receiver. The 5 yard rule takes away from his strengths. Huff may not be as physical as Jammer in bump and run, but he can still do it. He has good speed and quickness and good awareness. Can probably still play corner at the next level, but safetey will be where he is best utilized.

Someone mentioned drafting a left offensive tackle. If that were done, I could see Flozell being moved back to right tackle. He has played it before. I think with his contract, Dallas will hang on to him at least one more season.

Dallas won't be looking for a OLB in free agency or the 1st round unless they just stumble upon a great deal. Obviously, Ware is the man at one position. They will hope someone steps up at the other. They will find a servicable guy and that is what they need. Other positions such as offensive tackle lack even servicable players and really need good production to make the team better.

You know, nobody talks about Griffen. Huff is an excellent prospect, no question but Griffin is a former RB with nice agility and top end speed. He's 6-2 205. He wouldn't be a bad consideration IMO either. There's a guy who might be around a little later with very nice upside.

BigWillie

Reaction score
Hostile said:
2004 Defensive MVP in a 3-4 defense...FS Ed Reed.

Bobby Carpenter got hurt. He will probably drop out of the 1st round. I'll take Laron Landry in the 1st and Carpenter in a later round and say our defense will slaughter people.

Carpenter is hurt, but he will play in OSU's bowl game in January. Not a significant injury.

But if Nguyen's career is over, I would consider a LB in round 1. I should bold the word consider, because my philosophy is that you can almost always find quality LB's in later rounds as well.

My ideal draft for the first 3 rounds would be based around alot of what-if's.

If LaRon Landry is taken before our pick, I would look for someone like D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland) in the late 1st and maybe Pat Watkins (FSU) in round 2. I would also look at Abdul Hodge, who I FIRMLY believe is the better of the two big LB's at Iowa, Chad Greenway being the other. You could also look at the physical freak Ahmad Brooks who has underpeformed some this year, and if he were to come out may drop a bit. Although I'm sure when he goes to the combine and pops off a low 4.5 at 250lbs. he'll climb the charts a bit. ;)

I would also look at someone like Greg Eslinger (center) from Minnesota. Eslinger has started every game from his true freshman season for a powerful Minnesota line. He's also a 3 time All-American and just a dominating run blocker. The only downside is Minnesota implores a blocking scheme like that of Denver based off alot of zone blocking. Still yet it shows he has alot of quickness to be this successful in that type of offense.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'll take an MVP-caliber player at any position, regardless of need, but picking those guys out isn't ite so easy. Reed didn't win the award because a plays FS. He won because he's an exceptional player. If you're right and Parcells/Ireland see Landry as that kind of impact guy, I hope they take him too. But I think you're gonna see more impact on the Dallas D by putting playmaking linebackers in the lineup than an exceptional safety. Having said all that, I also have to say I've never seen Landry play (last year) that I paid attention, so...

VACowboy

Reaction score
BigWillie said:
If LaRon Landry is taken before our pick, I would look for someone like D'Qwell Jackson (Maryland) in the late 1st and maybe Pat Watkins (FSU) in round 2.

Jackson is awflly small to play a 3-4 LB. The Maryland site lists him at 6-1, 231 pounds, and that's generous. Pat Watkins plays like he's 6-4. He's too gawky and plays way too stiff to play FS, for my money. I'm a Virgina guy so I've watched a lot of FSU this season. Watkins definitely seems more like a SS to me.

BigWillie

Reaction score
No offense to you, but I'm so sick and tired of the generalization that a player is to small to play in any scheme. So what if he's undersized? If a player produces, and produces well, it makes zero difference if he's 4'8 or 6'8.

Also, your assumption about Watkins is way off base. Watkins is a straight FS. The one downfall about Watkins is he isn't great at stopping the run because of his willingness to shy away from contact. However, he's lanky body allows him to play FS like a CF and get alot of balls most cannot. I too am a Virginia boy and have watched Watkins almost every weekend, quite sickening I know, but thems the breaks of living in ACC country.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I'm not talking about height. Dat's 5-11 but he weighs 243 pounds. Sam Mills was 5-10 but he was pushing 245. They are short, not small. Jackson is thin, and regardless of how sick people get of generalztions, you aren't gonna see thin (better word) linebackers in the middle of Parcells' defense. There's a reason he spent the offseason making the front seven bigger.

We'll just have to disagree about Watkins. He doesn't look like a ballhawk to me--he looks like he's all arms and legs when he backpedals and turns, especially when he's playing the ball. They also have a 6-6 FS on the roster. Freshman. So whadda I know? Watkins just looks gawky. And I know that stats don't mean everything but they say he hasn't been extremely adept at picking passes. He has two iNTs this year and had four as a junior, but they lost Cromartie against Miami, so that may have had some effect.

I'm in Harrisonburg. NOT a JMU guy. :)

BigWillie

Reaction score
Actually, Nguyen only weighs 238lbs. if you want to get COMPLETELY technical.

Plus, I don't necessarily want to hear about size in a 3-4 alignment not being able to work. If/When you find players who can make plays, Parcells will put them in. That was the case with Dat Nguyen who BP fell in love with. Other cases can be made for the likes of Michael Boley and Demorrio Williams in Atlanta, both of which were said to be moving to S in the NFL just to be successful. Both are starting at LB for the Falcons.

Simple point, players make plays. Size, speed, range, 40 times, any of that is moot. It's pretty much what I hate about todays NFL.

VACowboy

Reaction score
BigWillie said:
Actually, Nguyen only weighs 238lbs. if you want to get COMPLETELY technical.

Plus, I don't necessarily want to hear about size in a 3-4 alignment not being able to work. If/When you find players who can make plays, Parcells will put them in. That was the case with Dat Nguyen who BP fell in love with. Other cases can be made for the likes of Michael Boley and Demorrio Williams in Atlanta, both of which were said to be moving to S in the NFL just to be successful. Both are starting at LB for the Falcons.

Simple point, players make plays. Size, speed, range, 40 times, any of that is moot. It's pretty much what I hate about todays NFL.

Atlanta plays 4-3.

I'm not saying D'Quel Jackson can't play in a 3-4 defense. I'm saying a linebacker who barely weighs 230 pounds will never see the field in Dallas as long as Parcells is coaching 3-4 defense there. Never is a long time, but that's the bet.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
VACowboy said:
I'm not talking about height. Dat's 5-11 but he weighs 243 pounds. Sam Mills was 5-10 but he was pushing 245. They are short, not small. Jackson is thin, and regardless of how sick people get of generalztions, you aren't gonna see thin (better word) linebackers in the middle of Parcells' defense. There's a reason he spent the offseason making the front seven bigger.

We'll just have to disagree about Watkins. He doesn't look like a ballhawk to me--he looks like he's all arms and legs when he backpedals and turns, especially when he's playing the ball. They also have a 6-6 FS on the roster. Freshman. So whadda I know? Watkins just looks gawky. And I know that stats don't mean everything but they say he hasn't been extremely adept at picking passes. He has two iNTs this year and had four as a junior, but they lost Cromartie against Miami, so that may have had some effect.

I'm in Harrisonburg. NOT a JMU guy. :)
I looked it up earlier today, Sam Mills was listed as 5'9", 225.

VACowboy

Reaction score
I thought Mills was bigger than that. My bad.

Bad comparison anyway. He played in a 4-3 the majority of his career.

I'll stop beating the horse now. If I remember correctly it was thoroughly flogged months ago.

renny

Reaction score
Landry is also very aggressive and brings the wood!!!!

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Landry getting abused today by Georgia....

Badly missing on a TD pass - took a pump fake, and getting busted by a QB for a TD. I don't see all that so far. Just second quarter....

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Landry two 15 yard penalties - I don't want this kid here at where he's projected by some.