2008 Senior Bowl Tuesday Practice Reports

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
• Finding a shutdown corner who has the ability to lock up man-to-man is never easy, but using his tremendous speed and fluid hips, Indiana CB Tracy Porter has made a solid case for himself this week. Porter is a quick-twitch corner and has done an outstanding job of blanketing receivers throughout both practices. Showing great instincts, he has the unique ability to make a quick break on the ball. This was evident during the seven-on-seven period when Porter was able to come up with an interception and head the other way for six points. He read the quick drop of Delaware QB Joe Flacco, and showing great anticipation, beat the receiver to the spot on a slant route.

This is the guy I really want us to target. He has all the physical tools a la Newman.

And he's a playmaker. I wouldn't be surprised if he rises to late 1st round/early 2nd round with an excellent combine showing.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
theogt;1923153 said:
Bowman's a fine WR and I consider nyc's displeasure a ringing endorsement.

I find 90% theogt's thoughts to be Kiper like and 100% wrong if we actually disagree. (which isn't always, but enough to know that the mouse on his exercise wheel sometimes gets tired.)

I was right about Bowe last year and was told I didn't know what I was talking about, I'm right about Bowman this year. The guy is a stiff and will not make it in the NFL. It's a fact, mark it.

ValleyBoyz

Reaction score
Some dude on a Mel Kiper chat said that he heard Jason Garret on the radio saying that they were looking at Doucet?

Anybody can confirm this?

Here's the link and quote: http://sports.espn.go.com/chat/sportsnation/index

Brian (Dallas, TX): I just heard Jason Garrett on the radio say that the Cowboys are looking at Early Doucet where do you have him going?

SportsNation Mel Kiper: (1:28 PM ET ) I think he'll be a second round pick. He's an excellent slot receiver. He's been schooled against the top corners. He's worked against good CBs in practice. He's played in pressure packed environments. If he runs that 4.4, he goes in the second round. I think he'll be a very nice addition. He's very very battle tested

theogt

Surrealist
Reaction score
nyc;1923171 said:
I was right about Bowe last year and was told I didn't know what I was talking about, I'm right about Bowman this year. The guy is a stiff and will not make it in the NFL. It's a fact, mark it.
I pimped Bowe like no other.

InDakWeTrust

DezBRomo9
Reaction score
theogt;1923184 said:
I pimped Bowe like no other.
In the small Senior Bowl practice vid of the 1 on 1 WR's, Doucet looked alot like a Greg Jennings or a Berrian because of his route running and hands seemed very polished compared to the other prospects on the video. He has some speed but isn't dependant on one part of his game like a Bowman (size) or like Chris Johnson's speed at RB.

I would also like to see us pick up a OG in the middle of the draft to play behind Davis and Kosier. The OG from Pitt is a garbage pail kinda guy that I think Houck would take under his wing.

I'm excited to see where Wade, JG and Houck take this offense with Sparano gone...

marchetta

Reaction score
Early Doucet WR LSU
STRENGTHS
Early has excellent size, strength, speed and quickness to be an tremendous WR at the next level. He is very smart and does a solid job running routes against one on one coverage and zone coverage. He is a good blocker and understands situational football, which means he understands how to adjust routes and keep the chains moving. Early shows very good strength and stamina and should be able to handle the bump and run techniques that will be used against him at the next level. In fact, I would have to say that Early has the prototypical skills that all teams are looking for in a potential #1 WR for the team that drafts him.

NEEDS TO IMPROVE
Early has not started that many games because of the talent at WR the last few years on his college team. There’s still a big question mark about how well mentally he will be able to handle the pressure at the next level of a #1 WR. It’s a legitimate question that Early will have to find a way to answer if he wants to be drafted in the 1st round of this draft. Also, consistency in his overall game will need to be upgraded. I do not believe that lack of consistency will be a serious problem once he receives more repetitions as a starter.

TALENT BOARD ROUND 1
There is no doubt about Early’s athletic talents to play WR at the next level. He reminds me of Reggie Wayne (WR Indianapolis Colts). Like Reggie when he came out, Early will have to answer the same questions about mental strength and consistency. Remember, Reggie has been able to play with Marvin Harrison who took a lot of pressure off of him while he learned to handle that pressure. I’m not sure if Reggie would have made it if he did not have Marvin and Peyton to see him through the tough times early in his career. Early is stronger physically than Reggie and this could make a big difference in his LTI. I like this kid’s game, but I think you have to be really careful where he is picked in this draft. I think if he is picked too early and taken by a team that is in need of a #1 WR right away, he will struggle and might not make it. Draft him in the latter part of the first round by a team that made the playoffs and has good coaching and in three years he should blossom into a hell of a #1 WR. The problem is that if you need a top flight WR and you’re a team that picks in the top ten of this draft, you have to pick this kid. If that’s what happens, then all I can tell you is be patient. If you are, then your reward will be an excellent #1 WR.

- Drew Boylhart (thehuddlereport.com)

cboyd

Reaction score
NYC Bowman is going to be good in the NFL, I would love Dallas to take him. All of a sudden NYC is right about everything and never wrong. Bowman is not as stiff as you think, he has mad some acrobatic catches at OSU.