2009 Draft: What type of receiver?

TheCount

Pixel Pusher
Reaction score
Well obviously I'd love Michael Crabtree, but much like McFadden, I don't think it happens.

My question, however, isn't neccesarily who but what type of receiver do you think we go after... assuming there is one in the draft better than Hurd/Stanback/Austin next year ;)

Do we go after a big, physical guy or a speedster and why?

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
TheCount;2269813 said:
Well obviously I'd love Michael Crabtree, but much like McFadden, I don't think it happens.

My question, however, isn't neccesarily who but what type of receiver do you think we go after... assuming there is one in the draft better than Hurd/Stanback/Austin next year ;)

Do we go after a big, physical guy or a speedster and why?

If we have to go after as WR (meaning that Austin and/or Hurd don't step up and really show something) then I want it to be a big, physical, fast guy.

I'd be willing to make some trades to move up and get Crabtree (if he declares).

NoLuv4Jerry

Reaction score
Austin, Hurd and Stanback are all big WRs...don't need anymore big WRs...DeSean Jackson or Eddie Royal sure would look good with the star on there helmet right now...need a speedster

jcollins28

Reaction score
KENNY BRITT Rutgers. Get to know this guy he is big and deadly fast. Crabtree is a dream now way Dallas gives up enough to get him. Britt though could go right were we need him.

Desean Jackson or any other small W/R will be doing this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4HYzZzufMRU

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jcollins28;2269859 said:
KENNY BRITT Rutgers. Get to know this guy he is big and deadly fast. Crabtree is a dream now way Dallas gives up enough to get him. Britt though could go right were we need him.

Desean Jackson or any other small W/R will be doing this...

I don't want a WR that can block I want one that will be a deep threat and be hard to cover in the flats and in in the open field can take it to the house. Small and fast and gets major separation.

Hailmary

Reaction score
jcollins28;2269859 said:

I do like Britt's size and athleticism. He seems like a long strider, making him an ideal deep threat imo.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I know. I know. jobberone raising hand.

I'm not telling. :D

No one knows. It's too soon by 6 months.

juck

Reaction score
No doubt we are obviously going to get Roy Williams so it doesnt matter about the draft.

MONT17

Reaction score
Jackson and royal would be perfect in this offense. But next year u would hope they are lookin to draft a guy that can develop into the #1 wr @ the X so 81 can play the z. Heyward Bey from maryland is my choice. Come on Jerry is not going to draft a WR or a QB!

jcollins28

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2269877 said:
I don't want a WR that can block I want one that will be a deep threat and be hard to cover in the flats and in in the open field can take it to the house. Small and fast and gets major separation.

Britt is 6-4 215 and runs a 4.4 and can bench like 400 lbs and has a ungodly vertical number as well. Plus he will be under 21 on draft day. You would be hard pressed to find a better "deep threat".

jcollins28

Reaction score
juckie;2269897 said:
No doubt we are obviously going to get Roy Williams so it doesnt matter about the draft.

God I hope not. Although I should come to terms with it.

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2269918 said:
Are you serious? lol

You must like recievers who run half assed routes and doesn't block, and drops balls. Say no to Roy Williams. Dont pay him the money he will command, seriously.

jcollins28

Reaction score
DallasDW00ds0n;2269918 said:
Are you serious? lol

Yeah I just don't get all the hype with W/R Roy Williams. He gets hurt every year he is not going to come here cheap. He is not, and this is just my opinion in the top 10 for W/R's. I think he gets so much love here because he came out of UT.

sago1

Reaction score
Must admit I can't think about the 09 draft cause it's just so far ahead and I want to enjoy this season. Even though we lost in the playoffs, I still really enjoyed seeing our team go from a 9-7 record to 13-3 and a real powerhouse in the NFL. I know many feel it doesn't matter what the Cowboys do until December or January. I feel very different. What's the sense of being a Cowboy fan if you don't enjoy the ride. In fact why even watch any Cowboy game until it's playoff time.

Anyway, I want to see what we get out of our 3 young WRs. Austin made 2 nice catches against the Eagles so I'm hoping we see a lot more of him against the Packers. If he really is the player we saw make so many good catches in the preseason, then maybe he's the answer to our big & speedy WR that we need opposite TO. Admittedly that might be too much to expect from an undrafted FA but heck we got a pro bowl QB going that route. Must admit I am thinking we need to get a really speedy WR like a Glenn or Galloway, etc. Heck, I wanted Royal if he was available in the late 3rd or 4th round.

OTOH, what happens if Burnett or Carpenter isn't the answer as a full time starter in ILB in another year. And what about at SS? Also do we need to draft a really good OT or can McQuistan get the job done or will we resign Colombo who I believe turned 30. We need to start getting our OL younger. Maybe Free should start at RT next year & then move to LT when Flozel is no longer the answer.

Obviously there too many questions which must be addressed before we know what areas we need to address.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
jcollins28;2269902 said:
Britt is 6-4 215 and runs a 4.4 and can bench like 400 lbs and has a ungodly vertical number as well. Plus he will be under 21 on draft day. You would be hard pressed to find a better "deep threat".

that doesn't impress me.