2009 Draft: What type of receiver?

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2272017 said:
he's a bum..... I'd take Jarrett Dillard from Rice

Whys he a bum? I know him and his family personally.

ghst187

Reaction score
Considering that our roster is so stacked, esp on defense, that some mid-round picks aren't making the cuts, why don't we package a bunch of our picks to move up and target one or two key players, someone like Crabtree would be perfect since WR is one of our weakest spots.
Our roster is so loaded we can't even make room for some of our draft picks. That's ridiculous.
I mean really, what do we spend 7 picks on next year? P, no, K, no, DB, no, DL, I would hope not, RB, no,....KR, no.....a LB, backup QB, or OL....
Unless we lose some folks, there isn't going to be anything we need in next year's draft unless its a WR. Of course, WR Roy Williams is going to want to come to Dallas and Boldon would be worth giving up most of our picks IMO. Key guys to retain will be Colombo, Thomas. If we don't win the SB, the only thing we'll need next offseason will be a new defensive coordinator.

LeonDixson

Illegitimi non carborundum
Reaction score
ghst187;2272196 said:
Considering that our roster is so stacked, esp on defense, that some mid-round picks aren't making the cuts, why don't we package a bunch of our picks to move up and target one or two key players, someone like Crabtree would be perfect since WR is one of our weakest spots.
Our roster is so loaded we can't even make room for some of our draft picks. That's ridiculous.
I mean really, what do we spend 7 picks on next year? P, no, K, no, DB, no, DL, I would hope not, RB, no,....KR, no.....a LB, backup QB, or OL....
Unless we lose some folks, there isn't going to be anything we need in next year's draft unless its a WR. Of course, WR Roy Williams is going to want to come to Dallas and Boldon would be worth giving up most of our picks IMO. Key guys to retain will be Colombo, Thomas. If we don't win the SB, the only thing we'll need next offseason will be a new defensive coordinator.

You also have to take into account the salary the player is going to command and how it fits under the cap, if there is going to be one.

However, I agree with your premise, somewhat. It's amazing that we have 5 rookies contributing right away this year to a team that sent a record 13 players to the pro bowl last year. That's probably not going to be the case next year unless we try to replace some aging or injured players.

So fewer, but higher rated, players might work. On the other hand, we have been very successful at getting players who actually grade out at least a round higher than we drafted them in.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
ghst187;2272196 said:

If you don't think we need a DLineman than you don't know our team very well same goes for linebacker we could also use a safety.

HomeOfLegends;2272128 said:

he plays for Clemson??? and they got monkey stomped the first week

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2271640 said:
Maclin is good I was watching him play he is definitely electrifying
If you are his biggest supporter, he is probably not a good fit here.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2272128 said:
That makes you not a good source of information on him. I don't think he's a bum either, but hell I am Clemson fan.

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
dogunwo;2272364 said:
That makes you not a good source of information on him. I don't think he's a bum either, but hell I am Clemson fan.

I just wanted to clear up if he meant bum in the sense of the young man being a bad person or if he did not not think he was a good football player.

Speaking on character I'm a very good source for him. Speaking on football skills, ask me again at the end of the year cause right now he's not producing like expected.

Shady12

Reaction score
Package a bunch of picks for Crabtree? Who knows how well he'll even be thought of come combine and draft time. I read once that he's not as big as listed. He doesn't look TO size but he's listed about the same. Hear he's more like 6'1" than 6'3." Not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying. Instead of losing a lot of picks to move up and get a receiver that we don't need that badly (reminds me of the stupid trade up for McFadden talk)..we could sign Roy Williams, a proven commodity who is already probably better than any receiver that will be drafted in 09 ever will be, if you play the odds. Then we can use draft picks where needed. We don't have one position we badly need that I see to be a for sure use of the 1st round pick. Maybe ILB..a guy who will start as a top notch backup and take over for Thomas since there's no way to know how much tread is left on his tires. Maybe a true NT, even a safety if we don't return the same 2 starters next season and Henry isn't to be moved.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
HomeOfLegends;2272380 said:
I just wanted to clear up if he meant bum in the sense of the young man being a bad person or if he did not not think he was a good football player.

Speaking on character I'm a very good source for him. Speaking on football skills, ask me again at the end of the year cause right now he's not producing like expected.

I meant football wise

Reaction score
jcollins28;2271627 said:
Wow if you open that mouth just a little bit more you might be able to put booth feet in. Well there is a number of reports on sites like Scouts.com, rivals.com etc that reports his bench number. I guess those guys have never been out of a high school gym.

You just showed your stupidity if you rely on Scout.com or Rivals100 to get your info.

EVERYONE but YOU apparently knows that heights, weights, 40 times and bench numbers are inflated by high school atheltic departments. They do it on programs and in high school boards.

Rivals and Scout show guys running 4.2's and 4.3's and then show up at Pro day running 4.6's. They list a player being 6'5 and then measuring at the combine at 6'3. OH WAIT..... Their spine must have compressed since high school since they hare benching 600 pounds after 4 years in a solid collegiate program and all that muscle made them slower.

Non Athletes (YOU) should stick to the boards and websites. Its apparent , you have NO idea what you are talking about.

RCowboyFan

Reaction score
I haven't seen anyone mention Brandon Tate of UNC. Man that guy seems one man offense, much like Macklin, but Macklin has other playmakers on his team though.

Brandon supposedly runs around 4.3-4.4. Either way he looks real fast on the field.

ghettogandhi

Reaction score
Derrius Heyward Bey from THE U of Md will be a top 2 round selection,

excellent size, speed, hands and football IQ

Jeremy Maclin is a stud also- but there is no chance he is there at 32- lol

Woods

Reaction score
Shady12;2272389 said:
Package a bunch of picks for Crabtree? Who knows how well he'll even be thought of come combine and draft time. I read once that he's not as big as listed. He doesn't look TO size but he's listed about the same. Hear he's more like 6'1" than 6'3." Not that there's anything wrong with that, just saying. Instead of losing a lot of picks to move up and get a receiver that we don't need that badly (reminds me of the stupid trade up for McFadden talk)..we could sign Roy Williams, a proven commodity who is already probably better than any receiver that will be drafted in 09 ever will be, if you play the odds. Then we can use draft picks where needed. We don't have one position we badly need that I see to be a for sure use of the 1st round pick. Maybe ILB..a guy who will start as a top notch backup and take over for Thomas since there's no way to know how much tread is left on his tires. Maybe a true NT, even a safety if we don't return the same 2 starters next season and Henry isn't to be moved.

That's what I would do as well - go after Roy Williams in FA.

I'd focus the Draft on getting an ILB (or two), one more DL, and quite possibly on an OT as well, depending on what we think of D Free and McQ's development.

I'd also guess we draft a QB Day 2 since this may be B Johnson's last year, and the guy we picked up (B Bollinger) will move to number 2 slot. That means we can take our time to groom a number 3.

I've got to think we're fine at RB, CB, and (dare I say) TE for now. We should be good to go at OG, too.

EDIT: Let me add that if we come across another pass rushing LB, I'd love that as well. Can't have enough pass rushers on a team . . . . esp with Ellis getting up there in age.

Shady12

Reaction score
Woods you're thinking the same way I am.. Agree about tackle too. Especially if Colombo goes we have to get a tackle really early. But I hope they re-sign him.

TellerMorrow34

BraveHeartFan
Reaction score
I haven't watched enough different teams yet to see who all might be eligible. So I can't really say for sure who I'd want at this point.

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
yeah

I want Maclin

didn't see him play today, but saw the stat-line, 160 something yards receiving, a TD, and rushing TD

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dogunwo;2272360 said:
If you are his biggest supporter, he is probably not a good fit here.

:laugh2:

Yeah. He wouldn't be a good fit here. Who needs an electrifying talent like Maclin?

I mean... we got .... Hurd! And Austin! And Stanback! And AMENDOLAZPRACTICEFODDER!!!!!!