2009 Draft: What type of receiver?

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2272557 said:
yeah

I want Maclin

didn't see him play today, but saw the stat-line, 160 something yards receiving, a TD, and rushing TD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGr68WTVXD8

There are better highlight vids of him out there; I'm too lazy to look for them.

Yeah, I know highlight videos aren't the end all be all. Wonder what idiot stells me that first...

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Bob Sacamano;2272603 said:
so Maclin is only a Sophomore? why tease me?

Jr.

The video was of last year; and the "freshman record" thing said it was the previous year = now a Junior.

dogunwo

Franchise Tagged
Reaction score
Vintage;2272582 said:
:laugh2:

Yeah. He wouldn't be a good fit here. Who needs an electrifying talent like Maclin?

I mean... we got .... Hurd! And Austin! And Stanback! And AMENDOLAZPRACTICEFODDER!!!!!!
That actually wasn't a shot at Maclin, it was more directed at the poster.

I haven't watched much of Maclin, so I don't have an opinion of him.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
dogunwo;2272614 said:
That actually wasn't a shot at Maclin, it was more directed at the poster.

I haven't watched much of Maclin, so I don't have an opinion of him.

My bad then. I thought it was a shot at both the poster and Maclin.

You should watch him when you get the chance. He'd be a great fit for us as a quick, Terry Glenn type of WR.

And like Felix, he is versatile. Our offense with him, Owens, Crayton, Witten, Jones, Barber, and Bennett.... would be scary, scary good.

Like... Historic good.

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Hey Bob. Since you and I pimped Boley to no avail (though, it was a different scenario)... we should try again, this time, with Maclin.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
ghettogandhi;2272479 said:
Derrius Heyward Bey from THE U of Md will be a top 2 round selection,

excellent size, speed, hands and football IQ

Jeremy Maclin is a stud also- but there is no chance he is there at 32- lol

We should have enough picks and collateral to trade up and get him. Crabtree may cost too much though.
Woods;2272506 said:
That's what I would do as well - go after Roy Williams in FA.

I'd focus the Draft on getting an ILB (or two), one more DL, and quite possibly on an OT as well, depending on what we think of D Free and McQ's development.

James Laurinaitis, ILB from Ohio State would be the perfect fit to learn under Zach Thomas and eventually replace him. He is a top 10 talent, but some very early mocks have him going between 20 and 25. If he drops that low and we already have Roy Williams on board...trade up to get this guy at all cost.

DaBoys4Life;2271616 said:
what about Percy Harvin from florida.

I like Harvin's speed and athleticism, but he is spending a lot of time at running back and not as much as wide reciever. If we are going for a wide reciever, I want to get someone who is doing it full time.

Bob Sacamano;2272603 said:
so Maclin is only a Sophomore? why tease me?

He is a redshirt sophomore so he will be elligable for the draft in 2009.

DaBoys4Life

Benched
Reaction score
I like Harvin's speed and athleticism, but he is spending a lot of time at running back and not as much as wide reciever. If we are going for a wide reciever, I want to get someone who is doing it full time.

thats true the last thing we need is another playing converting to WR.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Vintage;2272591 said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LGr68WTVXD8

There are better highlight vids of him out there; I'm too lazy to look for them.

Yeah, I know highlight videos aren't the end all be all. Wonder what idiot stells me that first...
Here is another clip of Maclin. In this kickoff return TD, you can see his "Felix Jones" type burst through the hole. Then he doesn't even reach his top speed gear but still runs past everybody.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GKsUjZWiz7g

Bob Sacamano

Benched
Reaction score
Vintage;2272616 said:
Hey Bob. Since you and I pimped Boley to no avail (though, it was a different scenario)... we should try again, this time, with Maclin.

deal

we may still have a shot at Boley, don't give up the dream!

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
I will be pimping him as well for sure. This kid has talent and solid hands. Pair him up with TO on offense and Felix Jones on kick returns and let the highlight reels begin.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
Another clip: (Click "watch in high quality" for, obviously, better quality.)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWaqPMpqIWQ

I love the way this kid runs. He can burst through the smallest holes, like Felix, and he never appears to be running at his top gear but still easily passes by everyone. But when he does shift into 5th gear, nobody is going to touch him.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
How can you not love this kid?

http://blogs.columbiatribune.com/football/2008/04/jeremy_maclin_qa.html

Jeremy Maclin Q&A

2388350454_81cd2c50c9_m.jpg

Here’s a question worth exploring, which I will, as Missouri’s spring practices continue: What can Jeremy Maclin do for an encore?
In his first college season, all Maclin did was earn consensus All-America honors and rack up the fifth-most all-purpose yards in FBS history. In case the lull of winter affected your memory, here’s what Maclin produced last year in 14 games for the Tigers:

• 80 catches for 1,055 yards and nine touchdowns, which ranked second, first and first on the team last year, respectively, and third, third and second in team history, respectively.
• 375 rushing yards (second on the team) and four rushing TDs (fourth)
• 307 yards on punt returns, including two for TDs
• 1,039 yards on kickoff returns, including one for a TD
• 16 TDs total (tied for fourth at MU in a single season)
• 2,276 all-purpose yards (most in MU history by more than 600 yards)
We could go on all day, but you get the picture. And don’t forget, Maclin’s rookie season began less than 12 months removed from major reconstructive knee surgery, and he dealt with a bruised shoulder that popped up occasionally.
But with fewer proven playmakers surrounding him in 2008 — gone are Martin Rucker and Will Franklin — can Maclin surpass the ridiculously high standard last year while wearing a much bigger target on his back?
We’ll explore this topic a bunch in the coming days and weeks, starting with a chat with No. 9.

Behind the Stripes: What are you working on out here because it didn’t seem like there was too much lacking last year?
Maclin: Just being more consistent. That’s pretty much the key to everything. Like, I dropped a ball today, but last year I would have dropped the next ball. Today, I made the next play. Obviously, I don’t want to drop the ball at all, but it’s just about getting better and more consistent catching the ball.
BTS: So, you’re looking to become a more complete receiver?
Maclin: That’s just all about focus. Coach always tells me that he wants me to be great, and it’s the little things that count.
BTS: Last year, late in the season, you said you hadn’t seen any double coverage by other defenses. Was that accurate, and is that just a product of this offense?
Maclin: Yes, because when you got Rucker and Will and all the playmakers we had last year, it’s kind of hard to double team one person because that’s going to leave someone else open. I might expect more double teams this year. Our defense does that a little bit, they’ll high-low me some out there, especially the inside guys. So I’ve experienced that some. But it’s just really hard to double team a spread offense.
BTS: How do you overcome that?
Maclin: Be patient and try to get open. But most of the time it leaves someone else open.
BTS: Do you expect to run the ball as much this year as you did last?
Maclin: Yeah, definitely. However they want to use me is how I want to be used.
BTS: How do you describe what the coaches have created out of the slot receiver position you play?
Maclin: Any position I guess can do what they got me doing. But being in the slot, and that’s why they put me there, they can get you the ball in many different ways and hopefully try to get mismatches on linebackers. And then, well, speed kills, right?
BTS: Lots of people assume this will be your last season here. I’m sure you get asked about it all the time. How do you respond to those assumptions?
Maclin: I kind of laugh and blow it off. I mean, obviously, I want to get my degree. That’s the first thing, education. Student becomes before the athlete part. We’ll see how the season goes.
BTS: But, do you keep track of the receivers in the upcoming draft and where they’re expected to get taken?
Maclin: Oh yeah, I look at it. I look at all the guys who are coming out (this year). I look to see how Will compares to all of them. I think Will is amongst the top of them. so, I look at the numbers they’re putting up, the drills they’re doing and that kind of stuff so that when the time comes, I’ll be ready for it.
BTS: What’s your latest 40-yard dash time?
Maclin: My fastest one this offseason was 4.32.
BTS: So, I guess you’re pretty satisfied with that time?
Maclin:Actually, I’m not. I was aiming for something in the 4.2 range. I’m going to get there. But that’ll do for now.
BTS: The whole incident with Marquis Booker from two weeks ago, is there anything that came out of that or anything that was reported that you’d like to clear up, anything you didn’t think was accurate or fair as far as your involvement?
Maclin: The whole situation could have been avoided. I shouldn’t have been out that late. But at the same time, I didn’t know he had the gun in my car until the cops came. That’s pretty much how it is. The papers and stuff were saying that I knew (Booker’s gun) was there when we got there. But I didn’t know about it until the cop told me. So, that’s all I wanted to clear up.

Posted by Dave Matter at 03:08 PM

PullMyFinger

Old Fashioned
Reaction score
RCowboyFan;2272426 said:
I haven't seen anyone mention Brandon Tate of UNC. Man that guy seems one man offense, much like Macklin, but Macklin has other playmakers on his team though.

Brandon supposedly runs around 4.3-4.4. Either way he looks real fast on the field.

I did, scroll back 2 pages, I mentioned him and Nicks, Id take either. Although it seems Tate can do EVERYTHING.