2009 Draft: What type of receiver?

BigBoy63

Reaction score
its too early for me to decide because Austin or Hurd could step up at any minute and become what we are lokkin for.

Bleu Star

Bye Felicia!
Reaction score
TheCount;2269813 said:
Well obviously I'd love Michael Crabtree, but much like McFadden, I don't think it happens.

My question, however, isn't neccesarily who but what type of receiver do you think we go after... assuming there is one in the draft better than Hurd/Stanback/Austin next year ;)

Do we go after a big, physical guy or a speedster and why?

We go after someone with a combination of both attributes. Someone that looks, runs, and sells popcorn just like the great one. :D

Shady12

Reaction score
Well it would be drafting a WR for the future not next season. Receivers seem least likely to make an immediate impact, other than QB's. You might get lucky and get one NFL ready but it could also take a few years. If we want a new receiver for next season Roy Williams is the best choice among what would be available among FA's and draft eligibles. He's big and fast, and is good. We already know he's good, worst case. Best case is he could end up being great. Draft a guy in the first round..worst case he could bust, best case he flashes a lot of potential his first season and down the line becomes a great player. I only want to obtain a receiver who the team thinks will be a future #1 when the time comes. I doubt we have one on the roster right now to replace Owens. Crayton is fine as a #2, and Austin has a lot of upside to be a #2 or at least a big play threat in 3+ wide formations. Stanback also has all the athletic tools to be great, it's just too early to tell whether he'll be a player though. And for the one who mentioned Pat White, see Stanback. We already have an ultra-athletic former college qb to NFL wr project. The kind of thing you'd like to see pay off 3-4 years down the line.

jcollins28

Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2269944 said:
that doesn't impress me.

Oh but a JAG that is 5-10" that runs the same 4.4 would? Frankly I will take the bonus in height and leaping ability over some 5-10" guy.

jchap

Reaction score
Wait til later rounds... Drafting wide recievers even in the top spots is a very risky proposition. I'd rather build that position with midround picks and the occasional proven free agent.

Hoofbite

Reaction score
I LOVE ME SOME ME!;2269921 said:
You must like recievers who run half assed routes and doesn't block, and drops balls. Say no to Roy Williams. Dont pay him the money he will command, seriously.

Didn't we hear similar things about Davis before he signed from Arizona?

If Roy Williams doesn't get franchised and traded elsewhere, hes a Dallas Cowboy.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
DaBoys4Life;2269877 said:
I don't want a WR that can block I want one that will be a deep threat and be hard to cover in the flats and in in the open field can take it to the house. Small and fast and gets major separation.

blocking WRs are essential. In fact, the running game becomes far more effective if the WRs are capable blockers.....just look at Pittsburgh with Hines Ward. He lines up in the slot and more often than not, seals the edge for Parker. He is also an excellent downfield blocker.

TO, the anti-teammate, has shown to be a very willing and capable blocker as well.

BTW....if we can get Boldin or Williams in FA, then I see no reason to draft a WR.....we have a lot of young guys on the team right now and two more on the practice squad.

Bigdog

Reaction score
What about Lee Evans from Buffalo. I think he is a free agent. He could be a deep threat and I read where he has very good hands.

JeffInDC

Reaction score
dre1614;2270107 said:
WR Jeremy Maclin for Missouri. That guy can flat out fly.

I second this nomination. Maclin is a BEAST!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doomsday101

Reaction score
TheCount;2269813 said:
Well obviously I'd love Michael Crabtree, but much like McFadden, I don't think it happens.

My question, however, isn't neccesarily who but what type of receiver do you think we go after... assuming there is one in the draft better than Hurd/Stanback/Austin next year ;)

Do we go after a big, physical guy or a speedster and why?

We go for talented. I don't care how you package the player bottom line comes down to making plays so put me down for a talented playmaker be it big or small be it a speedster or avg NFL speed.

Reaction score
jcollins28;2269902 said:
Britt is 6-4 215 and runs a 4.4 and can bench like 400 lbs and has a ungodly vertical number as well. Plus he will be under 21 on draft day. You would be hard pressed to find a better "deep threat".

1000 dollars he cant.... Get real..

A guy who is 6'4 and ONLY 215 cant bench 400 pounds. Id give him MAYBE 315. Unless he had the torso of a guy who was 5'11 and a 6'1 wing span. His arms would be too long to bench that much.

And if you believe it , you obviously have never been in a weightroom with guys that push serious weight. High school weight training doesn't count.

masomenos

Less is more
Reaction score
We still have next years WR on the team...

Ever heard of a little guy named Danny Amendola?

;)