2010 Winter Olympics

Eskimo

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3292333 said:
Um, we are the most skilful players around and have been since the dawn of time, we just play with a harder edge. No european has been more skilled the Lemieux, Gretzky, Mau Richard, Gordie Howe, Guy Lafleur, Jean Beliveau etc

Not sure where the myth started that Europeans have the skill and we just the grit started. .

They played a style which was difficult to develop on small ice surfaces and it took quite a bit of getting used to their speed and finesse game.

The Russians and Swedes have equalled us in skill for awhile - they don't play with as much toughness and grit because it isn't as big a part of big ice hockey. They initially had trouble adapting their game to small ice but have been getting better over time. The first group that came over in the late 80s to early 90s were fairly unimpressive except for the youngsters who adapted more readily.

trickblue

Not Old School...Old Testament...
Reaction score
jem88;3292390 said:
What a game yesterday. Team Canada did us proud! The Americans were awesome as well. A please to watch the game played at such a high level.

However, the closing ceremonies after Neil Young were an embarrassment.

Thanks... we weren't figured into the medals from the get-go...

At least you guys recovered from the "National Embarrassment" of a week ago... ;)

Great game... and great final... two evenly matched teams and a game for the ages...

At least some, like you, knew we belonged... ;)

Passepartout

Reaction score
Well better to win in Canada the hockey team as the crowd on your home turf helped out a lot!

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
They were supposed to be a joke but I'm not sure the rest of the world got the humour.

I didn't mind Avril Lavigne, Hedley and K-OS, Simple Plan wasn't bad either. Alanis didn't do much for me.

If only female cops looked like the female dancers in the RCMP outfits

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3292575 said:
They were supposed to be a joke but I'm not sure the rest of the world got the humour.

I didn't mind Avril Lavigne, Hedley and K-OS, Simple Plan wasn't bad either. Alanis didn't do much for me.

What's wrong with Alanis? She's truly one of the great musicians of my generation.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3292575 said:

I kept waiting for the Hip to come on, they have so many hockey themed songs that they could have played. I was quite disappointed they weren't part of the ceremonies.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Hip isn't really relevant these days.

As for Alanis, she isn't even top 5 Canadian musicians of this generation.

Off top of my head, Eminem, Prince, 50 cent, Our Lady Peace (the group), 2Pac, and Dave Grohl are better.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3292932 said:

Off top of my head, Eminem, Prince, 50 cent, Our Lady Peace (the group), 2Pac, and Dave Grohl are better.

Wasn't Eminem born in Missouri?

And Alanis is definitely better than Our Lady Peace. They've had a grand total of one memorable song.

Cajuncowboy

Preacher From The Black Lagoon
Reaction score
ScipioCowboy;3292982 said:

And Alanis is definitely better than Our Lady Peace. They've had a grand total of one memorable song.

Yes and raised in Detroit.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score

I wrote I could think of at least 5 better Canadian but when I listed, I meant just basically. You stated she was one of greatest of your generation, I threw in all North America. Hell I would put Shania Twain and Celine Dion above her. What about Kurt Cobain?

OLP has had more than one memorable song, Superman's Dead, Naveed are just two.

Michael Jackson is also way above Alanis, weird but above her.

Alanis had one really great song, the one where she hated men "You Oughta Know" and maybe Ironic. The rest were nothing to write home about. She is fine but definitely not one of the greatest of this generation.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score

He likes to change the subject matter of arguments to better suit his opinion.

If he doesn't like Morrisette, he'll go to the ends of the Earth and the edge of reality, logic, and ethics to explain why she sucks.

Michael Jackson had more successful career than Alanis?

No way!!!1111110111!!

:rolleyes:

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
tomson75;3293183 said:
He likes to change the subject matter of arguments to better suit his opinion.

If he doesn't like Morrisette, he'll go to the ends of the Earth and the edge of reality, logic, and ethics to explain why she sucks.

Michael Jackson had more successful career than Alanis?

No way!!!1111110111!!

:rolleyes:

Stalk much? It's always funny when a third person joins in a discussion to bag on one poster but does it as if the said poster will not see it.

BTW, we weren't discussing success, we were discussing greatness. I know you know nothing of either term, but one need not be successful financially to be a great musician.

I am so in your head it is pitiful.

peplaw06

That Guy
Reaction score

Wha?? :confused:

She's not in the top 5 Canadian musicians, then you go on to name 5 American born artists and one Canadian... and your choice is Our Lady Peace? And OLP in a list of three of the best rappers ever, Prince and Dave Grohl?? Holy bejeezus. I have no idea what this means.

ottawacowpoke

Reaction score

who says the Hip aren't relevant. They have a hard core legion of fans. For you to bring up OLP as relevant is hilarious.

ScipioCowboy

More than meets the eye.
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3293165 said:
I wrote I could think of at least 5 better Canadian but when I listed, I meant just basically. You stated she was one of greatest of your generation, I threw in all North America. Hell I would put Shania Twain and Celine Dion above her. What about Kurt Cobain?

OLP has had more than one memorable song, Superman's Dead, Naveed are just two.

Michael Jackson is also way above Alanis, weird but above her.

Alanis had one really great song, the one where she hated men "You Oughta Know" and maybe Ironic. The rest were nothing to write home about. She is fine but definitely not one of the greatest of this generation.

Whoa, whoa, whoa.

Hating on Wal Mart shoppers is bad enough. But I must draw the line at your lack of respect for Alanis Morrisette.

Jagged Little Pill is one of the best albums I've ever owned; there isn't a dud on it.

At least five songs from that album--You Oughta Know, Hand in My Pocket, You Learn, Head over Feat, and Ironic--spent time at the top of the music charts. Even the hidden track, Wake Up, gained some level of notoriety.

Furthermore, Michael Jackson and Alanis are from two different generations.

tomson75

Brain Dead Shill
Reaction score
CanadianCowboysFan;3293392 said:
Stalk much? It's always funny when a third person joins in a discussion to bag on one poster but does it as if the said poster will not see it.

BTW, we weren't discussing success, we were discussing greatness. I know you know nothing of either term, but one need not be successful financially to be a great musician.

I am so in your head it is pitiful.

lmao...

I'm not sure what's more pitiful, you're inability to see how unbelievably insignificant and irrelevant your thoughts here are, or your transparent attempts to salvage some semblance of respect after you've so clearly earned a complete lack of it.

I think if I'd reached the pinnacles of success and greatness that you clearly have, I'd be able to distinguish the difference between a discussion on Canadian artists, and those artists of "North American" birth. The prerequisites weren't yours to establish, oh great canadian poobah....and they were quite clear. Yet, in line with your modus operandi, you've deemed it OK to change the very nature of the discussion to fit your opinion, argument, fetish, or whatever you'd prefer to call it. I simply pointed out your tendency to do that very thing with most topics you tend to post on.

It's simple, really, you said something stupid.....I commented on it. The easiest way to fix this is for you to stop saying stupid things. Until then, I'll continue to share my thoughts and opinions of your comments within this forum's guidelines....and enjoy doing so.

CanadianCowboysFan

Lightning Rod
Reaction score
Scipio are you not confusing success with greatness.

If success and top charting is the criteria, then Britney tops Alanis big time.

Hand in Pocket is not a great song. I have Jagged Little Pill and it is not a classic album.

If a generation is 20 years then they are.

If you want to stick to 90s, then ok. Pearl Jam, Nirvana, Soungarden are above her. Rob Zombie way above. Hell Marilyn Manson is far greater and definitely more innovative. Don't forget Daft Punk, TLC.

Music is basically a matter of personal taste but Alanis will not go down as one of the greatest. Certainly not in the Kurt Cobain stratosphere.

I'm more of an 80s music guy though.

Alumni2k11

Old Dominion University (Class of 2011)
Reaction score
Can't wait til London 2012. I personally love the summer games a lot more than the winter games.