***2013 NFL DRAFT ROUND 4, 5, 6 and 7 Discussion Thread***

Rogerthat12

DWAREZ
Reaction score
Plankton;5067192 said:
LB was the best value, hence the pick.

The line reference was about the draft in general. Clearly it isn't a priority with this front office.

Thank you for clarification, they do seem to avoid the trenches unfortunately.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Jonathan Franklin may end up better than Eddie Lacy
GB is making sure they have that RB position locked down

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
Eskimo;5067188 said:
In all honesty most 4th rounders never amount to much. I think only about 1 in 5 ever develop into decent starters. At this point if you can find a significant contributor at something besides ST you have done well.

These are all develomental picks for the most part because the players usually have some significant shortcomings and that is why they go here. Maybe it is lack of size, strength, speed, quickness, experience, injury history, toughness, intelligence.... But there is something that made people wait this long before calling them on down.

So if you grade someone as the best for your systems you go ahead and take the player and worry about other things afterwards. You can usually still try and fill some depth gaps in what is leftover in FA. Here is where you draft for 2-3 years down the road and needs can change markedly due to injury, age or salary in that timeframe.

Not trying to be confrontational, but I've followed the NFL for well over 40 years. Take my word for it, the basis for most teams comes in rounds 3-5 and often later. The draft use to be 12 rounds. How many UDFAs become excellent players? Many. Discounting the 4th round is EXTREMELY short sighted and just plain wrong.

DFWJC

Reaction score
here are 2-3 Rbs and 2-3 Olineman that I like. A DE or too as well.
I just hope we get one in the 5th..

Still can't believe Franklin went this late

Oh well, one DE is gone

coogrfan

Reaction score
StanleySpadowski;5067147 said:
It is.

Switching to the 4-3 really strengthened the DL. Dallas has an elite player in Ware, a plus plus player in Hatcher, a player who has been a plus plus recently in Ratliff and a decent player in Spencer. You have two solid rotation guys in Lissemore and Crawford.

No one outside the first round would have cracked those six and no one in the 4th round has any more potential than Wilber.

http://img.***BLOCKED***/albums/v72/gocoogs/Dallas-Cowboys-Sun-Glasses_B2_zps2fd23a3c.jpg

;)

StarHead69

Reaction score
C'mon Eskimo, :rolleyes:

Half the guys here today expect an instant starting pro-bowl caliber player (at a position of need) with every pick in the draft. I am also noticing that they refuse to believe that anyone on our roster could be just as good as anyone available in the 3rd-5th rounds and would probably cut anyone who didn't start their rookie year.

in short... don't waste your breath

morasp

Reaction score
Eskimo;5067188 said:
In all honesty most 4th rounders never amount to much. I think only about 1 in 5 ever develop into decent starters. At this point if you can find a significant contributor at something besides ST you have done well.

These are all develomental picks for the most part because the players usually have some significant shortcomings and that is why they go here. Maybe it is lack of size, strength, speed, quickness, experience, injury history, toughness, intelligence.... But there is something that made people wait this long before calling them on down.

So if you grade someone as the best for your systems you go ahead and take the player and worry about other things afterwards. You can usually still try and fill some depth gaps in what is leftover in FA. Here is where you draft for 2-3 years down the road and needs can change markedly due to injury, age or salary in that timeframe.

That's absolutely correct. BPA

The Quest for Six

Reaction score
Star4Ever;5067208 said:
Not trying to be confrontational, but I've followed the NFL for well over 40 years. Take my word for it, the basis for most teams comes in rounds 3-5 and often later. The draft use to be 12 rounds. How many UDFAs become excellent players? Many. Discounting the 4th round is EXTREMELY short sighted and just plain wrong.

The problem with the Cowboys is that they've been taking too many fliers/projects in the third and fourth rounds when big school starting prospects are still on the board..that's been a major mistake..I'd rather draft big schoool three and four year starting collage players than small school projects which Jerry seems to fall in love with..

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
DOUBLE WING;5067081 said:
Norm Hitzges just said that Jerry Jones has drafted more players from William & Mary than he has Alabama.

Wow.

Chuck 54;5067175 said:
Phillip Thomas ranked 8.1 by Kiper.
Webb ranked 8.5....if you only care about media guys rankings.

The other Thomas safety went to Pitt....I don't care how much we liked him in college. The NFL is still waiting on the first 5'8" safety to make a mark in the league, and we already had a safety.

Bob Sanders says "Hello".

Smith22

Reaction score
Star4Ever said:
My God, some of you guys gripe more than a lesbian stranded on an island full of guys.
amen. grown arse men whining like little girls. we drafted an olineman and we can sign winston or clabo afterwards. webb was excellent value and can return kicks. williams can take Austin's spot. ReLAX

fishspill

Reaction score
THERE'S MY BOY! Thought for a while there he must have killed a guy and I didn't know it.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
The Quest for Six;5067227 said:
The problem with the Cowboys is that they've been taking too many fliers/projects in the third and fourth rounds when big school starting prospects are still on the board..that's been a major mistake..I'd rather draft big schoool three and four year starting collage players than small school projects which Jerry seems to fall in love with..

I'm not arguing that. I'm just saying that 4th round picks are not just career backups. Not by a long shot.

Rack

Federal Agent
Reaction score
Smith22;5067234 said:
amen. grown arse men whining like little girls. we drafted an olineman and we can sign winston or clabo afterwards. webb was excellent value and can return kicks. williams can take Austin's spot. ReLAX

Have you been paying ANY attention the last 17 years?

StanleySpadowski

Reaction score
wileedog;5067172 said:
Hatcher is not "plus plus" and Ratliff hasn't been for two years. Considering his age and the beating he has taken its far more likely he will never be again than he will, no matter what defensive scheme we use.

Lissemore and Crawford are JAGs.

While its certainly not as big a weakness as OL by any stretch, DL is not a "strength" for this team.

If you look at the numbers, Hatcher is a top 5-7 interior pass rusher in the league. He's not with the elites but he's really, really good. You're seriously undervalueing him.

No one knows what Ratliff will be like when healthy and in a 4-3 run and read style rather than read and react.

Calling young guys who showed some real flashes last year JAGS is a disservice, especially on Crawford.

Kristen82

Reaction score
Chuck 54;5067175 said:
Phillip Thomas ranked 8.1 by Kiper.
Webb ranked 8.5....if you only care about media guys rankings.

The other Thomas safety went to Pitt....I don't care how much we liked him in college. The NFL is still waiting on the first 5'8" safety to make a mark in the league, and we already had a safety.

BAL didn't seem worried that Elam is only 5'8".

Szczepanik

Reaction score
Smith22;5067234 said:

lol. Humans adapt and that lesbian probably would adapt to her surroundings.

But the point is made :)

Vintage

The Cult of Jib
Reaction score
Risen Star;5067044 said:
Yeah, I know what they think. I was going with reality where they suck. Last year it was Tyron Smith and 4 stiffs. This year it'll be Tyron, Travis and 3 stiffs.

Frederick isn't athletic.

So... still 4 stiffs.

BourbonBalz

Star4Ever
Reaction score
It's more than obvious the brain trust of team (please, no little quips here) is happy with our current DL. I have no idea if they're right and neither does anyone else on this board. We're transitioning to a new defense. I would think Kiffin and the rest know what they need better than any of us.