2014 NFL Draft Spreadsheet and Cowboyszone "BIG BOARD"***Public Spreadsheet Post #19***

Fredd

Reaction score
Here is the 2014 NFL Draft Index Spreadsheet. I made this last year and it got some really nice reviews from many of you. Here are some of the features for this year (in Microsoft Excel):
  • There are a lot of tabs. There are also buttons (gray boxes) that you can click to navigate to the tab that you want
  • If your version of the file asks you to enable content, then click that button and enable.
  • Tabs for: Instructions (basic use), Value chart, Team Needs, Offense Ranking by position, Defense Ranking by position, Ranking (overall, has 454 players currently), Comparison of 4 players and their rankings, college tracker, and draft tracker
  • Ranking tab - this is the current ranking of players; I used roughly 20 mocks to determine the order based on a points system (no homerism); during the draft (or any time you want to play around with it), if you enter the team (drop down menu) and the pick where they are selected, it will determine the value of the pick and update the tracker tab and college tracker tab automatically, there is a lot of info on this tab including their combine #'s, their school, size, etc. There are also links to many of the players in there (CBS)
  • Tracker tab - this is filled in with the first 3 rounds as I am waiting to see where the compensatory picks fall. I will complete this once the league determines those. Once that player is selected and entered on the tracking tab, it auto populates into this tab so you can see who was picked and who remains
  • College Tracker (new) - if you use the file during the draft, and enter the team and selection # and the team and conference will be updated with that pick; in other words, you can track how many picks each conference has in each round
  • Comparison (new) - this will give a comparison of the rankings for up to 4 players. you select up to 4 names and you can see how they rank against each other. ***NOTE: there is an issue with this tab that is easily fixable. Once you save the save the file, you just need to unprotect that tab and then copy & paste the 3rd gray box over he top of the other 3 and it will then work (sorry); future versions of the file will have this change
In seeing that others have wanted to do a Cowboyszone “Big Board”, we can use this spreadsheet as a jump off point. Here is how it works:

• You PM or email me your top 100 (in order) picks. This would include all top 100, even if you don’t think someone will make it to our pick (in other words, if you think Clowney goes #1, then he is #1 on your list – don’t leave players out). If you want to give me more or less, that works too - the point value goes from the first pick all the way down to the 224th pick, so this accommodates all of it

• I will compile all of the lists and re-order everything based on who everyone wants in these selections – so, your vote counts! I am planning on updating the file based on your lists the weekend of March 29th and 30th, so it would be nice to have everything by then
Reality has been kind enough to add the spreadsheet to the site and it can be downloaded by clicking the link below.

http://cowboyszone.com/download/2014_NFL_Draft_Index.xlsm

If you don’t have the newer version of Excel, then PM me or email me at fred@fredsboot.com and I will send you an older version in Excel. I am also adding it to my website but it won't be out there for a short while (within the next few days).

If you would like to see anything added, then let me know. For example, if you have a pet cat that you don't see on the Tracking tab, then I can add them. If you have ideas on things you would like that aren't there at all, let me know. This is long enough so let me know if you have questions. I welcome ALL comments. Let me know if you like this. I used last year's version during the actual draft and it was very helpful to me.

-Fredd-

xwalker

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Thanks for putting the work into this. I'll take a look.

Fredd

Reaction score
thanx, I have an "intructions" tab in there, but I only had so much time...I can try to explain a little better when I get home from work tonight

Fredd

Reaction score
RANKING TAB

Per request, I will send posts as I get time to describe the tabs. The Rankings tab is what drives the majority of the file. Some features:

This lists the current rankings. This was based off of the 20 or so mocks that found. So, while many in here want Donald, in the mocks, he averaged out to 25th. that could change if people decide to send me their top 100 and Donald is higher

* Drop-Down Menu: Row 5 has a way for you to just show what you want to see. Each item in Row 5 has a little triangle that points downwards. If you click on that, it will show all of the items in that column. Everything is currently selected. But, if you only want to pick something in particular, then you can just click the check by (Select All) and then nothing is selected; you then go and click the box for whatever you want to see. For example, in column I all of the positions are listed. but, if you only want to see the OT's, then click the triangle, click select all (to remove the check), and then scroll down and click on OT - only the OT's will then show. If you want to just show the players from Notre Dame, then follow those steps in the drop-down in column N
- you can use more than one drop-down if you want, just remember to go back in and click "select all" when you are done

* Column E - I put about 200 links to players in there. You just have to click on the link for that player and it will take you to CBS.com's profile

* Gray boxes at top - these are buttons that navigate to one of the other tabs

* Other Rankings - the player ranked against his peers for Offensive or Defensive overall rank, position rank, and functional rank (ex: skill players are RB's, WR's, TE's)

* Combine Results - these are listed in columns T through AW; there are little mini-rankings if they did good or bad compared to others at their positions and an overall rating of whether the combine helped them or not

* Columns Q through S - during the draft, when a player is actually selected, you go into column Q to pick the team that selected him (all teams are listed). then you put in the pick that they were chosen in Column R; Column S will auto-populate a score for that pick - that is based on where the pick is made, where the ranking of the player sits currently, and the Team Need at the time (it would take some time to tell you how the formulas work so PM me if you are interested)
- the selections that you make in Columns Q and R will populate information automatically into the College Tracker and Tracker pages

Fredd

Reaction score
Excellent. Don't agree with all the player rankings but this is amazing.

thanx, but the player rankings were made by the program and the formulas...I didn't select them, it was based on the 20 mocks and where those mocks picked the players...no homerism from me (yet)...that is part of the point of this thread, if people want to give me their top 100, then I will use the same method to update the rankings based on what we, Cowboyszone, think...

Fredd

Reaction score
Whatever is easiest for you. I am going to copy & paste it on my spreadsheet either way, but if you are sending a Top 100, then Last Name, First Name is the best way for me so that I don't have to re-format it. thanx!

tm1119

Reaction score
Whatever is easiest for you. I am going to copy & paste it on my spreadsheet either way, but if you are sending a Top 100, then Last Name, First Name is the best way for me so that I don't have to re-format it. thanx!

This should be made its own thread so people see it. Don't see why we couldn't have a decent amount of lists to create a true(er) big board. Is it ok to just private message a list to you?

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
Wait until we work out a consistent way to send a list please. Shouldn't be long. Thanks.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
For now post your rankings in the thread. Thanks. If you have a link to your list then make sure anyone can address it.

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
Here is the 2014 NFL Draft Index Spreadsheet. I made this last year and it got some really nice reviews from many of you. Here are some of the features for this year (in Microsoft Excel):
  • There are a lot of tabs. There are also buttons (gray boxes) that you can click to navigate to the tab that you want
  • If your version of the file asks you to enable content, then click that button and enable.
  • Tabs for: Instructions (basic use), Value chart, Team Needs, Offense Ranking by position, Defense Ranking by position, Ranking (overall, has 454 players currently), Comparison of 4 players and their rankings, college tracker, and draft tracker
  • Ranking tab - this is the current ranking of players; I used roughly 20 mocks to determine the order based on a points system (no homerism); during the draft (or any time you want to play around with it), if you enter the team (drop down menu) and the pick where they are selected, it will determine the value of the pick and update the tracker tab and college tracker tab automatically, there is a lot of info on this tab including their combine #'s, their school, size, etc. There are also links to many of the players in there (CBS)
  • Tracker tab - this is filled in with the first 3 rounds as I am waiting to see where the compensatory picks fall. I will complete this once the league determines those. Once that player is selected and entered on the tracking tab, it auto populates into this tab so you can see who was picked and who remains
  • College Tracker (new) - if you use the file during the draft, and enter the team and selection # and the team and conference will be updated with that pick; in other words, you can track how many picks each conference has in each round
  • Comparison (new) - this will give a comparison of the rankings for up to 4 players. you select up to 4 names and you can see how they rank against each other. ***NOTE: there is an issue with this tab that is easily fixable. Once you save the save the file, you just need to unprotect that tab and then copy & paste the 3rd gray box over he top of the other 3 and it will then work (sorry); future versions of the file will have this change
In seeing that others have wanted to do a Cowboyszone “Big Board”, we can use this spreadsheet as a jump off point. Here is how it works:

• You PM or email me your top 100 (in order) picks. This would include all top 100, even if you don’t think someone will make it to our pick (in other words, if you think Clowney goes #1, then he is #1 on your list – don’t leave players out). If you want to give me more or less, that works too - the point value goes from the first pick all the way down to the 224th pick, so this accommodates all of it

• I will compile all of the lists and re-order everything based on who everyone wants in these selections – so, your vote counts! I am planning on updating the file based on your lists the weekend of March 29th and 30th, so it would be nice to have everything by then
Reality has been kind enough to add the spreadsheet to the site and it can be downloaded by clicking the link below.

http://cowboyszone.com/download/2014_NFL_Draft_Index.xlsm

If you don’t have the newer version of Excel, then PM me or email me at fred@fredsboot.com and I will send you an older version in Excel. I am also adding it to my website but it won't be out there for a short while (within the next few days).

If you would like to see anything added, then let me know. For example, if you have a pet cat that you don't see on the Tracking tab, then I can add them. If you have ideas on things you would like that aren't there at all, let me know. This is long enough so let me know if you have questions. I welcome ALL comments. Let me know if you like this. I used last year's version during the actual draft and it was very helpful to me.

-Fredd-

cool idea, but just letting you guys know that a collective online google doc spreadsheet, that anyone with a specific link can access and edit is an option as well and may cut down on some of the work the mods will have to do in regards to emailing spreadsheets, downloading, uploading, etc. I look forward to participating and seeing what everybody thinks leading up to the draft.

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
cool idea, but just letting you guys know that a collective online google doc spreadsheet, that anyone with a specific link can access and edit is an option as well and may cut down on some of the work the mods will have to do in regards to emailing spreadsheets, downloading, uploading, etc. I look forward to participating and seeing what everybody thinks leading up to the draft.

can we link to this and do what we wish without compromising the site. Mind you I don't know anything about security. And we'll need to coordinate anything like that with the admins. But I like the idea. :)

CaptainCreed

Reaction score
can we link to this and do what we wish without compromising the site. Mind you I don't know anything about security. And we'll need to coordinate anything like that with the admins. But I like the idea. :)

what could be done is whoever constructs the google doc has two options for access...they can 1) give access through a link though anyone with that link can read and edit the document or 2) can give access to specific gmail accounts who can then access and edit the document which may take more time but certainly not as much time as compiling multiple spreadsheets and is a little more secure

Fredd

Reaction score
thank you everyone, I am willing to use whatever format is best and easiest for everyone. It really only takes me a few seconds to grab everything from a post (for example) and drop in my spreadsheet. It would be best to get the last name, first name format though as once I get all of the lists, if they aren't in the same format, I have to make them the same so that I can create a pivot table to put them in order and determine who collectively gets the highest ranking. I use a point system for the first pick down to the 200th+ pick that goes down in descending order, so the order that you pick them in determines the overall order. the pivot table will allow me to make the order whether there are 10 people that participate or 100 (or more).

post questions in here or PM me. thank you!

Fredd

Reaction score
OK, so I think we have a way to put all of your entries in one place (for the most part) so that we can create a "BIG BOARD" for Cowboyzone folks

With the help of CaptainCreed (thank you very much!), I made a google doc where you can give me your top 100. I actually made the file for 150, so if you want to be energetic, then you can put up to 150 in here. the link is below, so click the link and add your list (if for some reason you cannot open it, just send me your list in a post in here, a PM or email me at Fred@fredsboot.com)

A few things to remember:
* Please do not edit other people's lists! just use your own, and if you want to change it, you can always come back later and update it if FA changes your mind or you start to like or dislike a player more
* put your CZ username at the top in row 1
* enter your list (if you don't want to think about putting 100 in, then put your first round in and then come back later and add more)
* Have entered who I have in the Draft Spreadsheet so that you can see the format and how it looks (I will be editing my own in the next week or so)
* We will determine the deadline for this - I was originally going to try to get this done for the end of this month, but since the draft is later, we can go later in here
* I can send out periodic updates on where things fall
* There are a little over 100 columns so if we happen to get more than 100 people providing lists, I will extend it - PUT ME TO WORK PEOPLE!!! :D

Let's get them in and see how our board looks!!!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AoBGPWKdYxpndEdseXlZT2I5aFJULUIzTzJkOElvNVE&usp=sharing

jobberone

Kane Ala
Reaction score
I've moved this to the Fan Zone and stickied it for a couple of days to let the members know it now has a publicly shared google spreadsheet than we can all use. @Fredd and @CaptainCreed have put a lot of work into this and the staff would like to thank them for their efforts.

Let @Fredd know if there are any problems.

Have fun members and draft gurus!