2015 College Football Thread

StylisticS

Reaction score
Mack Brown simply needed to go. Recruiting was subpar and he was passed by the likes of Patterson and Briles. He was not going to win another NC again and he was only going to win 8 games a year with the occasional 9. Texas just probably made the wrong hire after Mack. FSU let go of Bowden and made the right hire and you see the results. Nebraska isn't the same as Texas. Texas is in a recruiting hotbed. Nebraska is not.

BoysFan4ever

Reaction score
Keep on rolling Tide!

Sorry JJ honey. Wisconsin just had to be sacrificed.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Mack Brown simply needed to go. Recruiting was subpar and he was passed by the likes of Patterson and Briles. He was not going to win another NC again and he was only going to win 8 games a year with the occasional 9. Texas just probably made the wrong hire after Mack. FSU let go of Bowden and made the right hire and you see the results. Nebraska isn't the same as Texas. Texas is in a recruiting hotbed. Nebraska is not.
Nebraska recruited very well no matter what. So that argument dies a sad death. But they have been unable to reach the heights they had been for almost 20 years. Texas could very well go the same route.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Nebraska recruited very well no matter what. So that argument dies a sad death. But they have been unable to reach the heights they had been for almost 20 years. Texas could very well go the same route.

Nebraska hasn't recruited well in the last 15 years. They don't have the talent in their backyard ala a Florida or a Texas. They could not pull top talent from California like they did in the 90s. They could not pull top talent from Texas. They could no longer dip into Florida either like they did in the 90s and they could not dip into Ohio as well. There's a reason why the Big 12 South dominated the Big 12 from 2000 to Nebraska's departure. Bottom line, it's much harder to return to prominence at Nebraska than it is at Texas or Florida.

silver

Reaction score
Unfortunately, I will be shocked if they give the ball to Heard. I can't believe I am saying this but Greg Davis is a much better OC than Shawn Watson. He is terrible. Absolutely terrible. This oline is unbelievably bad. I think Vahe will be a good one though. But what in the world was Mack doing in 2011-2013 in recruiting?

Inflated recruiting rankings or a lack of development. If they keep losing, they're gonna have to be able to develop players the way briles and patterson do. They are losing a lot of ground recruiting wise with that offense.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Inflated recruiting rankings or a lack of development. If they keep losing, they're gonna have to be able to develop players the way briles and patterson do. They are losing a lot of ground recruiting wise with that offense.

Probably both but I lean on lack of development. There's a reason why no Longhorn was drafted in 2014.

burmafrd

Reaction score
Nebraska hasn't recruited well in the last 15 years. They don't have the talent in their backyard ala a Florida or a Texas. They could not pull top talent from California like they did in the 90s. They could not pull top talent from Texas. They could no longer dip into Florida either like they did in the 90s and they could not dip into Ohio as well. There's a reason why the Big 12 South dominated the Big 12 from 2000 to Nebraska's departure. Bottom line, it's much harder to return to prominence at Nebraska than it is at Texas or Florida.

ND does not have a lot of talent in their back yard either. So that excuse is for the weak. Nebraska recruited very well up until about 7-8 years ago when it started to really fall off of a cliff. Mainly because to get the recruits you have to win and they were not winning. Simple as that. Texas has had a fair amount of talent from high schools forever- but Mack Brown's staff was not very good at developing that talent for quite a while. Just getting the four andfive stars is only half the battle and currently Texas is losing the other half.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
Frosh QB down in Louisville is going to be a problem next year...heck, he may be a problem for some this year!

StylisticS

Reaction score
ND does not have a lot of talent in their back yard either. So that excuse is for the weak. Nebraska recruited very well up until about 7-8 years ago when it started to really fall off of a cliff. Mainly because to get the recruits you have to win and they were not winning. Simple as that. Texas has had a fair amount of talent from high schools forever- but Mack Brown's staff was not very good at developing that talent for quite a while. Just getting the four andfive stars is only half the battle and currently Texas is losing the other half.

ND is right next to Ohio and ND pulls in many from there. They also have a pipeline to other states but let's not act like they have been a fixture as elite teams the last 20 years themselves. They just recently became good again. Nebraska had some talent but nothing on the lines of USC, Texas, OU, Florida, Alabama, LSU, or Georgia. As for the 2nd half of your comment, I don't disagree there. That's been my problem with Mack Brown forever. He gets them in but he doesn't develop them. However, he got lazy recruiting the talent in Texas in the latter part of his tenure at Texas.

kev8822

Reaction score
OSU should be in for a tough fight tonight. 4 of their top 5 WR are out for the game tonight. 3 because of suspension and 1 because of injury. I expect VT to stack the box and dare OSU to beat them deep. OSU has 3 freshman who are supposed to be able to get deep, but nobody knows how healthy any of them are either. Reports are all 3 of them have been slowed with nagging injuries.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
bad call by the refs.....should have been reviewed. it was a catch, a fumble and a recovery by the receiver

BrAinPaiNt

Mike Smith aka Backwoods Sexy
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
remember Nebraska and firing a coach who had won 10 games the year before because that was not 'good' enough? They have not been the same since. Texas might be looking at the same thing. Nebraska had been a top recruiting school as well and a NC and NC contender for many years.

I was watching a little of the Michigan game and although I imagine Jim will get them going in the right direction....you have to wonder how all of those people who were always calling for Lloyd Carr's head were feeling now.

burmafrd

Reaction score
I was watching a little of the Michigan game and although I imagine Jim will get them going in the right direction....you have to wonder how all of those people who were always calling for Lloyd Carr's head were feeling now.
"BE CAREFUL what you ask for. You MIGHT get it"

viman96

Thread Killer
Reaction score
Mac Brown keeps making excuses for Mich St losing last year at Oregon. Complaining about the time zone difference and the field being an advantage for Oregon. How about Oregon was just better that day and stop making excuses? Did he whine and make excuses like this when he coached Texas?

Rogah

Reaction score
This is, right now, an all-time historic upset brewing. Still a lot of time left, but right now the 46 1/2 point underdog Jacksonville State Gamecocks leads the Auburn Tigers 20-13 in the 4th quarter.

RonSpringsdaman20

Hold The Door!
Reaction score
This is, right now, an all-time historic upset brewing. Still a lot of time left, but right now the 46 1/2 point underdog Jacksonville State Gamecocks leads the Auburn Tigers 20-13 in the 4th quarter.

Auburn QB was trash last week... not surprised