2015 Houston Astros Thread

calico

Reaction score
Crush city, go astros! World needs more congerbot locker room celebrations.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
This season has been exciting. I'm glad I was able to watch about 90% of the games thanks to Root Sports. Last night was no surprise and I have no doubt we can take one game in KC. I'm going to enjoy it!

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This season has been exciting. I'm glad I was able to watch about 90% of the games thanks to Root Sports. Last night was no surprise and I have no doubt we can take one game in KC. I'm going to enjoy it!

The Astros matchup well vs. KC. That doesn't mean Houston is going to win. Heck you've got the best team record-wise facing the team with the worst record (as far as playoff contenders) BUT Houston does have a chance.

cowboys1981

Reaction score
The Astros matchup well vs. KC. That doesn't mean Houston is going to win. Heck you've got the best team record-wise facing the team with the worst record (as far as playoff contenders) BUT Houston does have a chance.

A chance is all they need. The series goes down to a do or die IMO.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score

I think the bat flipping Astros will be in for rude awakening. KC may sweep them... Like they did to the orioles last year.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think the bat flipping Astros will be in for rude awakening. KC may sweep them... Like they did to the orioles last year.

They could sweep the Astros...

However the Astros did take 4 of 6 vs. KC this season.

And Dallas is pitching game 3, where's he's 15-0 on the season.

In addition if one looks at runs scored vs. runs given up Houston had the better season and are the 2nd best team in the AL behind the Blue Jays.

Using Bill James Pythagorean method of figuring wins and losses, the Astros should have won 7 more games than they did this season, which bodes well for next season in that teams that underperform using this method tend to perform better the following season, in other words this team is going to be hanging around top of the leader boards for a while.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros may lose the series, but they won't be swept!

Nice game by McHugh! And the offense all throughout the lineup is hitting at this point.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
The Astros may lose the series, but they won't be swept!

Nice game by McHugh! And the offense all throughout the lineup is hitting at this point.

Don't think Houston will lose. Young kids do not seem to be feeling the pressure of the playoffs.

LittleBoyBlue

Redvolution
Reaction score
Don't think Houston will lose. Young kids do not seem to be feeling the pressure of the playoffs.

1-1

Houston and their bat flipping and excessive celebrations when catching a fly ball out during the game will fall.

Not to mention striking out like they do.

They don't know how to act like they've been there.... Cause they haven't.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
1-1

Houston and their bat flipping and excessive celebrations when catching a fly ball out during the game will fall.

Not to mention striking out like they do.

They don't know how to act like they've been there.... Cause they haven't.

Houston had that game yesterday.

I get the same sick feeling when Kazmir starts as when Sabathia started for the Yankees.

But on the bright side Keuchel starts Sunday at home.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score

I don't know how far they will make in these playoffs, but there is no doubt in my mind, they are going to end up losing. You can just watch them and can tell they haven't yet figured out how to *win*.

I've been a Texas Rangers fans for too long not to see what is happening with the Astros. They are a mirror image of the 90s Rangers. HRs alone will not get your far in the playoffs. You've got to manufacture runs and lean on great pitching and defense. The pitchers are too good in the playoffs to do otherwise.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't know how far they will make in these playoffs, but there is no doubt in my mind, they are going to end up losing. You can just watch them and can tell they haven't yet figured out how to *win*.

I've been a Texas Rangers fans for too long not to see what is happening with the Astros. They are a mirror image of the 90s Rangers. HRs alone will not get your far in the playoffs. You've got to manufacture runs and lean on great pitching and defense. The pitchers are too good in the playoffs to do otherwise.

That's a pretty fair evaluation.

Their lineup lacks a couple guys at 1B & DH who can give them maybe less power but more average and more walks. In other words a more well-rounded lineup.

And they need a "flame-thrower" in the bull-pen.

They're close, but they aren't there quite yet.

YosemiteSam

Unfriendly and Aloof!
Reaction score
That's a pretty fair evaluation.

Their lineup lacks a couple guys at 1B & DH who can give them maybe less power but more average and more walks. In other words a more well-rounded lineup.

And they need a "flame-thrower" in the bull-pen.

They're close, but they aren't there quite yet.

I think the best thing to happen to the Rangers is they hired a manager that believes in baseball fundamentals. (Ron Washington ~ NL style of baseball) When you combine that with an AL team, you can come away with an extremely well rounded team that can beat you in several ways. The Astros have taken the first step in becoming an AL team, now they just need to remember their roots and pepper in the baseball fundamentals. (learning to manufacturing runs)

If they follow that path, I think they could become a real powerhouse by around 2017. They kind of remind me of the 2008/2009 Rangers. (That growth spurt) At least that's the timeline I see them on. Although, I really don't know A.J Hinch that well. I'm not really sold on if he is really the manager to take them to the next level.