2016 Mel Kiper Invitational chat thread

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Yeah it would. He's the perfect cover, chase LB. Pick is in so it doesn't matter but they need a solid LB pretty bad.

So let me get this straight. A cover LB is going to help them stop the run?

And if their run defense is that awful, that means getting a chase linebacker to tackle the runner three to five yards downfield is going to do what exactly?

Jack is not going to hold the point, nor is he going to take on lineman and shoot gaps. That is not what he does.

Did you actually look at the production from there LBs?

What would their production tell me? Tackles can occur anywhere on the football field. And if they have a lot, that tells me the DL is not doing their job holding the line of scrimmage. They have one quality DL in Liuget and even he is miscast.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
He doesn't fit a 3-4 at all. He's not strong enough to play inside. His coverage skills would be wasted. He's a 4-3 WLB.

In a 34, you need a thumper and you need a run and chase cover guy. I don't agree with you.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
Dolphins look like a no show too.

We should start likes blackballing these guys. It's that serious to me.

I'd give you a like....but you stuck me in the garage....But in all fairness....I'm guessing these are west coast guys. It's 5AM their time.

sureletsrace

Official CZ Homer
Reaction score
I'd give you a like....but you stuck me in the garage....But in all fairness....I'm guessing these are west coast guys. It's 5AM their time.

They shouldn't sign up if they can't get up that early. Or, they should just send in a board for Risen to pick off of for them.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Everyone was sent reminders to send in a list if they wouldn't be around when we start.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
So let me get this straight. A cover LB is going to help them stop the run?

And if their run defense is that awful, that means getting a chase linebacker to tackle the runner three to five yards downfield is going to do what exactly?

Jack is not going to hold the point, nor is he going to take on lineman and shoot gaps. That is not what he does.

What would their production tell me? Tackles can occur anywhere on the football field. And if they have a lot, that tells me the DL is not doing their job holding the line of scrimmage. They have one quality DL in Liuget and even he is miscast.

Jack doesn't have to hold the point. He's not the stack ILB. He's the other guy. the ILB who has to be able to run and chase and drop into coverage. If you want to take a NT or a 34 DE with the third pick, OK but I wouldn't. Safety is not a bad pick for them but they need more production out of their LBs. If they had a lot of tackles but just giving up yardage, then I would agree but they aren't. They aren't make enough tackles out of the LB position. They need more production.

As far as a guy who can run sideline to sideline, you don't think that guy is valuable? Yeah, your probably right. Stupid to run down a back after a 3 yard gain. Much better to let him break it for 20.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Dont let them do it next year. Let guys who show take 2 teams if need be.

Plankton

Reaction score
Everyone was sent reminders to send in a list if they wouldn't be around when we start.

It's true - this isn't a difficult concept. It's not like the guys in the top 10 didn't know for a month that the day was coming and to be ready.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
You could send in a list of six players the night before and snooze.

I know, and I did just in case, but the fun of these things is being here for the pick, considering trades, etc.

You've ran these things before like I have, nothing sucks more than no-show GM's.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I think Jack could play WILB in a 3-4. Depending on the type of 3-4 run

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Jack doesn't have to hold the point. He's not the stack ILB. He's the other guy. the ILB who has to be able to run and chase and drop into coverage. If you want to take a NT or a 34 DE with the third pick, OK but I wouldn't. Safety is not a bad pick for them but they need more production out of their LBs. If they had a lot of tackles but just giving up yardage, then I would agree but they aren't. They aren't make enough tackles out of the LB position. They need more production.

Wait, so it is production you want from Jack? Well, he is one of the least productive linebackers in this draft. You want a productive linebacker for them? Take Jaylon Smith.