2016 MLB Season Thread

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
PED user? Lol. So i guess he's just passing all the tests for fun.

These guys say hello

gettyimages-483046252.jpg
1408498011000-2-lance-armstrong.jpg

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
I'm sitting here trying to defend an arrogant prick who's most likely leaving Toronto at the end of the season anyways. Gotta love being a fan.

Ah, . . . . .. . . . . . so now you're admitting it. And you've been acting as if the rest of us have been out of line. :omg:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Article on baseball changing the strike-zone next season...

"Big changes could be on the horizon for baseball. ESPN's Jayson Stark is reporting that a committee at the MLB owners meetings this week (appropriately called the competition committee) approved changes to both the strike zone and the intentional walk. Not small changes, either. The bottom of the strike zone, which right now starts just below a hitter's knees, would be raised to the top of a hitter's knees. And no longer would a pitcher have to throw four pitches to a standing catcher to intentionally walk someone. He would just have to signal that he wanted to issue an intentional walk, and the hitter would be sent to first base without a pitch being thrown.

Both of these changes are meant to improve the pace of play, which has been one of commissioner Rob Manfred's pet projects. Eliminating the four pitches to issue an intentional walk would certainly speed things up, but very few plate appearances actually end in intentional walks that I can't imagine it would have a tremendous effect. The change to the strike zone is different. It's meant to reduce the number of low strikes called by umpires, which have been on the rise, and increase the number of balls in play. If a ball thrown below the knees isn't a strike anymore, then it's a ball.

That would mean more baserunners, since they'll either walk more often or they'll get more balls thrown in the strike zone. That would theoretically increase the amount of action we see in a game, but it definitely wouldn't make it shorter. More baserunners leads to more pitching and more scoring, i.e. a longer game, which was something the commissioner's office cared about not long ago.

Stark quotes both Neil Walker and Joe Maddon as giving their support to the changes, though they both think the change will lead to more walks rather than balls in play (a fair point). Besides them, we don't know how anyone else feels about these proposed changes (especially pitchers), and it may not matter at all. These rule changes don't need to be approved by the MLB Players' Association to take effect. They just need to be approved by baseball's playing rules committee, which is made up of baseball executives and chaired by Mets GM Sandy Alderson.

If they approve the changes, they could take effect next season. Stark's sources say that the changes would be brought to the Players' Association when they negotiate the new collective bargaining agreement this offseason, but that nice gesture would probably go right out the window if the PA decided it didn't want the changes. With this plus the CBA on the horizon, there is potential for high drama and major changes in the offseason."

I'm on board with it.

It will drive down the ridiculous number of strikeouts we've been seeing the last few seasons. It will also make walks more of a weapon plus more balls will be put into play so we'll get to see more hits and more defensive plays.

Looking forward to it as a matter of fact.

All these dominant pitchers will be a little dominant.

Conversely maybe we'll see the rise of the guy that takes walks, gets the bat on the ball but isn't a high homer guy.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Article on baseball changing the strike-zone next season...

"Big changes could be on the horizon for baseball. ESPN's Jayson Stark is reporting that a committee at the MLB owners meetings this week (appropriately called the competition committee) approved changes to both the strike zone and the intentional walk. Not small changes, either. The bottom of the strike zone, which right now starts just below a hitter's knees, would be raised to the top of a hitter's knees. And no longer would a pitcher have to throw four pitches to a standing catcher to intentionally walk someone. He would just have to signal that he wanted to issue an intentional walk, and the hitter would be sent to first base without a pitch being thrown.

Both of these changes are meant to improve the pace of play, which has been one of commissioner Rob Manfred's pet projects. Eliminating the four pitches to issue an intentional walk would certainly speed things up, but very few plate appearances actually end in intentional walks that I can't imagine it would have a tremendous effect. The change to the strike zone is different. It's meant to reduce the number of low strikes called by umpires, which have been on the rise, and increase the number of balls in play. If a ball thrown below the knees isn't a strike anymore, then it's a ball.

That would mean more baserunners, since they'll either walk more often or they'll get more balls thrown in the strike zone. That would theoretically increase the amount of action we see in a game, but it definitely wouldn't make it shorter. More baserunners leads to more pitching and more scoring, i.e. a longer game, which was something the commissioner's office cared about not long ago.

Stark quotes both Neil Walker and Joe Maddon as giving their support to the changes, though they both think the change will lead to more walks rather than balls in play (a fair point). Besides them, we don't know how anyone else feels about these proposed changes (especially pitchers), and it may not matter at all. These rule changes don't need to be approved by the MLB Players' Association to take effect. They just need to be approved by baseball's playing rules committee, which is made up of baseball executives and chaired by Mets GM Sandy Alderson.

If they approve the changes, they could take effect next season. Stark's sources say that the changes would be brought to the Players' Association when they negotiate the new collective bargaining agreement this offseason, but that nice gesture would probably go right out the window if the PA decided it didn't want the changes. With this plus the CBA on the horizon, there is potential for high drama and major changes in the offseason."

I'm on board with it.

It will drive down the ridiculous number of strikeouts we've been seeing the last few seasons. It will also make walks more of a weapon plus more balls will be put into play so we'll get to see more hits and more defensive plays.

Looking forward to it as a matter of fact.

All these dominant pitchers will be a little dominant.

Conversely maybe we'll see the rise of the guy that takes walks, gets the bat on the ball but isn't a high homer guy.

This is prob becuz 4 teams in the AL East are lobbying for it since Zach Britton is so tough in the 9th inning. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
This is prob becuz 4 teams in the AL East are lobbying for it since Zach Britton is so tough in the 9th inning. :D

Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'm looking forward to a more balanced game... More like what I grew up with.

You won't have every Tom, Dick & Harry pitcher averaging a K per inning.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Yeah, that's the ticket!

I'm looking forward to a more balanced game... More like what I grew up with.

You won't have every Tom, Dick & Harry pitcher averaging a K per inning.

I think if the umps would just call games based on the actual strike zone it would be a huge improvement.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think if the umps would just call games based on the actual strike zone it would be a huge improvement.

Well that's not going to happen.

There's always been differences from umpire to umpire.

Unless they go to a computer-type of umpire... that's not going to change.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
Not sure we're going to see that happen in our lifetimes.

Im sure you're right.

Last nite in the bottom of the 9th the Angels would have loved one tho, They were acting like fallen angels when Britton was getting those low strikes called. :D

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Im sure you're right.

Last nite in the bottom of the 9th the Angels would have loved one tho, They were acting like fallen angels when Britton was getting those low strikes called. :D

If it goes through... And I'd bet it will... Next Spring training is going to be something to see.

WPBCowboysFan

Reaction score
If it goes through... And I'd bet it will... Next Spring training is going to be something to see.

The strike zone has always been right at the top of the knee, not below it like they call now. Just have the umps call the strike zone as it is and they wouldnt need all the "discussion" and meetings and a rule change just to have the umps call it like it should be called. Just my opinion.

It will be interesting for sure. The old timers will be talking about "ruining" the game and hindering the pitchers . . . . .

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The strike zone has always been right at the top of the knee, not below it like they call now. Just have the umps call the strike zone as it is and they wouldnt need all the "discussion" and meetings and a rule change just to have the umps call it like it should be called. Just my opinion.

It will be interesting for sure. The old timers will be talking about "ruining" the game and hindering the pitchers . . . . .

I'm sick of mediocre pitchers averaging a K and inning. And I'm sick of guys striking out 30% of the time... Even 25% of the time is a ridiculous number. It wasn't that long ago if a full-time player K'd 100 times in a season it was considered a lot... Now that's just "average".

Plus I want to see more walks, more baserunners and more balls put in play.

There are going to be several good pitchers today who won't be able to make the adjustment.

Biggems

White and Nerdy
Reaction score
I'm sick of the Astros winning one, losing two.....it is ticking me off. What the heck is wrong with this team?

We need Dallas to get his Mojo back, Gattis to find his power, and anyone other than Altuve, Correa, or Rasmus to provide some offense.

BTW, two trades I hated.....the Carlos Gomez trade...he has done very little to help us. IMO, a bag of stale chips would have been too much to give up for this clown. He is an oft-injured headcase, who can't get a quality hit to save his life. I also didn't like the trade with the Phillies to get Ken Giles. He has been a waste of space, while we gave up some quality prospects. VV has played well for the Phillies, much better than Giles has for us.

Overall Luhnow has done a great job of rebuilding the team from the farm system up.....however, these two moves smell of foul desperation, something we are used to with Jerry and the Boys, but not with a Luhnow run team. I feel he gave up way too much, and got completely shafted on both trades. I give both trades a big fat F-.