2016 QB I wanted us to Draft

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McGee was a good pick that didn't work out. 4th round is where you take shots at guys like him who are highly athletic, good arm, but mental aspect unknown.

Yeah McGee was a good pick in the sense that he was an absolute bum and waste of a draft pick.

kskboys

Reaction score
I wanted no part of him. I saw him play a handful of times and was thankful I am not a PSU fan......and that is coming from a Horns homer, where our QB play has been beyond putrid since Colt left.
Yeah, putrid would be an upgrade.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
McGee was one of the worst QBs we've ever had here. He had no vision. Couldn't read a defense. Everything was check down. No pocket presence. Just a terrible player.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
McGee was a good pick that didn't work out. 4th round is where you take shots at guys like him who are highly athletic, good arm, but mental aspect unknown.
Yep. Always smart to draft a quarterback who gets benched his senior year.

JustChip

Reaction score
It really depends on the prospect. If an Andrew Luck is there, you give up whatever. If it's some dude who can run but is a subpar passer, RGIII for example, no way.

There are prospects worth giving up the farm for, like Wentz, but due to extreme need, most team evaluate poorly and end up w/ strongarmed mental midgets or fleet of footers who should be playing WR.

What you point out is that talent evaluation trumps - you have to know who's going to be the stud and whose is going to be the dud. Kind of like Will Rodgers' key to stock investing- buy one that's going to go up, if it ain't going to go up, don't buy it. But easier said than done.

In the SB era, the average draft position of the winning QBs has been the 49th pick (I've excluded multiple winners so they don't skew the data - total count is 32 then) and only 13 were selected in the first 10 picks. Limiting it to just the last 20 years, the average draft position has been pick 54 (again, excluding multiples so Tom Brady doesn't blow the curve so to speak - total count then is 13) and 5 were selected in the first 10 picks. A team definitely has to have a QB, but it is more important to have a team. Giving up a bunch of picks for the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft has a lesser chance of success than keeping the picks and building a team. Sure, there are exceptions, but the odds are better not making the trade-up.

I with you on RGIII. I was blown away that anybody would think he was going to be an NFL QB.

kskboys

Reaction score
What you point out is that talent evaluation trumps - you have to know who's going to be the stud and whose is going to be the dud. Kind of like Will Rodgers' key to stock investing- buy one that's going to go up, if it ain't going to go up, don't buy it. But easier said than done.

In the SB era, the average draft position of the winning QBs has been the 49th pick (I've excluded multiple winners so they don't skew the data - total count is 32 then) and only 13 were selected in the first 10 picks. Limiting it to just the last 20 years, the average draft position has been pick 54 (again, excluding multiples so Tom Brady doesn't blow the curve so to speak - total count then is 13) and 5 were selected in the first 10 picks. A team definitely has to have a QB, but it is more important to have a team. Giving up a bunch of picks for the 1st or 2nd pick in the draft has a lesser chance of success than keeping the picks and building a team. Sure, there are exceptions, but the odds are better not making the trade-up.

I with you on RGIII. I was blown away that anybody would think he was going to be an NFL QB.
Yes and no. I've seen too many very talented teams who just couldn't go anywhere because they didn't have a QB. If you want to get into super bowl contention, you must have both.

Me n my buds call them "franchise QB's." They don't necessarily have to be the best in the league, but they need to be consistently decent and mostly free from injury. You just don't see super bowls won w/o them. Yes, I know there's an occasional exception, but mostly it's the franchise QB's winning the super bowls, guys you can build around.

I'm referring only to the QB prospects who are close to can't miss, guys who are going to be at least decent. Luck, PManning, and even guys like Eli and Ryan and Rivers. Those types who are sure to be at least decent.

I thought trading up for Wentz was a mistake, and I still think it was, even though he turned out. Small school spread QB's are very dangerous to draft.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yep. Always smart to draft a quarterback who gets benched his senior year.
Did you look into why he was benched? What sort of O he was running and the talent around him?

Let's see, strictly off of memory(I'm not interested enough to research this!!!): McGee got screwed over. They signed him, running a prototypical O, and then switched to some option crapp. He got beat up badly.

Did you take this into account during your analysis?

JustChip

Reaction score
Me n my buds call them "franchise QB's." They don't necessarily have to be the best in the league, but they need to be consistently decent and mostly free from injury. You just don't see super bowls won w/o them. Yes, I know there's an occasional exception, but mostly it's the franchise QB's winning the super bowls, guys you can build around.

True, but more franchise QBs come from outside the top 10 picks than within, at least as measured by those winning SBs overall (19 of 32 outside 10) and in the last 20 years (8 of 13). Of course, there's more to the NFL than just winning the SB. There are plenty of successful and franchise QBs besides those winning the SB. But I venture to say the averages or trends hold for those as well.

The issue to me is not whether you draft a QB at 1 or 2, but if you give up a ton of draft capital to move up to do it. Of the SB winning QBs that were drafted 1st or 2nd, none the result of the team giving up a bunch of picks to move up to do it - they were all intrinsic picks by the teams that "earned" those picks. Wentz may have been the first, but nothing is given so you can't say Philly would've absolutely still won had Wentz not gotten injured.

I personally think the juries are still out on Goff and Wentz. Things just came together last year for their teams like it did for Baltimore and Flacco, San Fran and Kap, the Cowboys and Dak in 2016. One of the interesting things to watch this year is whether LA and Philly continue their success, or in the case of LA, build on it.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Did you look into why he was benched? What sort of O he was running and the talent around him?

Let's see, strictly off of memory(I'm not interested enough to research this!!!): McGee got screwed over. They signed him, running a prototypical O, and then switched to some option crapp. He got beat up badly.

Did you take this into account during your analysis?

Yes. Texas A&M benched him for sophomore Jerrod Johnson. They did this because the new coaching staff thought Johnson was better than McGee, not to "screw" him over. Johnson went onto lose his starting job to Tannehill. Johnson went undrafted and was out if the NFL in a few years.

You know how else I know cCGee wasn't very good? He proved it on the Cowboys. Or maybe the Cowboys screwed him over too?

Bad draft pick by a bad front office.

kskboys

Reaction score
True, but more franchise QBs come from outside the top 10 picks than within, at least as measured by those winning SBs overall (19 of 32 outside 10) and in the last 20 years (8 of 13). Of course, there's more to the NFL than just winning the SB. There are plenty of successful and franchise QBs besides those winning the SB. But I venture to say the averages or trends hold for those as well.

The issue to me is not whether you draft a QB at 1 or 2, but if you give up a ton of draft capital to move up to do it. Of the SB winning QBs that were drafted 1st or 2nd, none the result of the team giving up a bunch of picks to move up to do it - they were all intrinsic picks by the teams that "earned" those picks. Wentz may have been the first, but nothing is given so you can't say Philly would've absolutely still won had Wentz not gotten injured.

I personally think the juries are still out on Goff and Wentz. Things just came together last year for their teams like it did for Baltimore and Flacco, San Fran and Kap, the Cowboys and Dak in 2016. One of the interesting things to watch this year is whether LA and Philly continue their success, or in the case of LA, build on it.
Finding examples of non-top 10 QB's still doesn't mean you shouldn't take Luck w/ the first pick in the draft, or that you should ignore the position in the first due to some failures. And the fact remains, winning a super bowl w/o a solid long term QB is extremely hard, and you're mostly not going to get anywhere w/o one.

kskboys

Reaction score
Yes. Texas A&M benched him for sophomore Jerrod Johnson. They did this because the new coaching staff thought Johnson was better than McGee, not to "screw" him over. Johnson went onto lose his starting job to Tannehill. Johnson went undrafted and was out if the NFL in a few years.

You know how else I know cCGee wasn't very good? He proved it on the Cowboys. Or maybe the Cowboys screwed him over too?

Bad draft pick by a bad front office.
Nope, you got that one wrong!!!!! They did it because they switched O's on McGee.

Of course he turned out to be not very good, we sorta know that. However, we were discussing him as a prospect, not what we already know. That's a completely different discussion.

Johnson would be better at running the option trash than Tom Brady.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Nope, you got that one wrong!!!!! They did it because they switched O's on McGee.
So Mike Sherman came to Texas A&M, sees this amazing NFL-level senior QB and decides to run an offense the QB is not capable of running?

Makes a ton of sense.

JustChip

Reaction score
Finding examples of non-top 10 QB's still doesn't mean you shouldn't take Luck w/ the first pick in the draft, or that you should ignore the position in the first due to some failures. And the fact remains, winning a super bowl w/o a solid long term QB is extremely hard, and you're mostly not going to get anywhere w/o one.

Absolutely you pick Luck if you're in the position. But Indy was there because they earned it with their record. I'm not advocating to not pick the QB 1st overall, only that it's better to not trade away 2 seasons of premium picks to move up to 1 to take the QB. It hasn't worked out so well for Indy so far, but they still made the right decision. However, just imagine if someone had given up 2 firsts, 2 seconds and maybe another premium pick to move up and Luck's troubles had been the same.

kskboys

Reaction score
Absolutely you pick Luck if you're in the position. But Indy was there because they earned it with their record. I'm not advocating to not pick the QB 1st overall, only that it's better to not trade away 2 seasons of premium picks to move up to 1 to take the QB. It hasn't worked out so well for Indy so far, but they still made the right decision. However, just imagine if someone had given up 2 firsts, 2 seconds and maybe another premium pick to move up and Luck's troubles had been the same.
Actually, it has. Indy has not put the team around him. Luck has been great.

JustChip

Reaction score
Actually, it has. Indy has not put the team around him. Luck has been great.

But that’s my point - you have to have the team around the franchise QB for him to make a difference. Trading multiple seasons of premium picks makes that harder. Philly was probably in the best position to do it because they had a very strong team already, especially on defense.

kskboys

Reaction score
But that’s my point - you have to have the team around the franchise QB for him to make a difference. Trading multiple seasons of premium picks makes that harder. Philly was probably in the best position to do it because they had a very strong team already, especially on defense.
Absolutely. However, don't forget that INDY has made major stupid moves and draft picks since they got him. Don't forget the 1st rounder for a very subpar RB in Trent Richardson. And their drafting has been trash. Not Luck's fault at all, and he's drug them to the playoffs a couple times and even won some there.

I'm generally against trading multiple picks, BTW. It did work out for the Gnats w/ Eli.