2016 QB I wanted us to Draft

JustChip

Reaction score
Absolutely. However, don't forget that INDY has made major stupid moves and draft picks since they got him. Don't forget the 1st rounder for a very subpar RB in Trent Richardson. And their drafting has been trash. Not Luck's fault at all, and he's drug them to the playoffs a couple times and even won some there.

I'm generally against trading multiple picks, BTW. It did work out for the Gnats w/ Eli.

I didn't remember the Giants giving up that much to swap the 1st and 4th picks with the Chargers. I was thunkin they only gave up some later round picks to do it. I just looked at it and they gave up their 3rd, which was a high 3rd, and their 1st the following year. So, you're right on the Eli trade, although it might have worked out just as well or better had they not made the trade and just picked Rivers. Of course, it could've worked out worse, too - we'll never know. Just like I absolutely believe if you reversed Romo and Eli, Romo would've won at least 1 SB with those Giants teams, but that's just unproveable speculation.

kskboys

Reaction score
I didn't remember the Giants giving up that much to swap the 1st and 4th picks with the Chargers. I was thunkin they only gave up some later round picks to do it. I just looked at it and they gave up their 3rd, which was a high 3rd, and their 1st the following year. So, you're right on the Eli trade, although it might have worked out just as well or better had they not made the trade and just picked Rivers. Of course, it could've worked out worse, too - we'll never know. Just like I absolutely believe if you reversed Romo and Eli, Romo would've won at least 1 SB with those Giants teams, but that's just unproveable speculation.
Rivers is better than Eli, hands down.

JustChip

Reaction score
I think he's much better but who cares right?
Eli's defense won him those championships. He did have a couple of miraculous once in a million plays to help him too.

Yep, like Assante Samuel dropping a gift-wrapped interception the play before the Tyree pass.

DFWJC

Reaction score
I think he's much better but who cares right?
Eli's defense won him those championships. He did have a couple of miraculous once in a million plays to help him too.
I don't even think it's close. Rivers>>>Eli
jmo

Seven

Messenger to the football Gods
Reaction score
Same guy who had a great freshman year but struggled the other years?

Jets are becoming the Browns 2.0 at drafting busts at QB.
Dallas has done better? Good Lord they had to holistically raise Kitna from the grave because they just wouldn't take the position seriously, IMO.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Christian Hackenberg was released by the Jets. He was a guy I wanted us to draft in 2016. Whew, shows you what I know. I'm glad we got Dak.

Don't feel bad. Jerry offered to trade down for Paxton Lynch and was denied.

John813

Reaction score
Dallas has done better? Good Lord they had to holistically raise Kitna from the grave because they just wouldn't take the position seriously, IMO.

Considering the amount of pick they have used in the past decade, yea.

2018: Darnold(1st)
2016: Hackenberg(2nd)
2015: Petty(4th)
2014: Boyd(6th)
2013: Geno Smith(2nd)
2011: McElroy(7th)
2009: Sanchez(1st)

Outside of Darnold, all have been busts.

Dallas, on the other hand has picked:

2018: White(5th)
2016 Prescott(4th)
2009: McGee(4th)

7 picks vs 3 picks on Quarterbacks since 2009.

Jets have sucked drafting QB's over the past decade looking for a franchse QB. Browns have had the same issue since, hell, they came back to existence.
Dallas has not had the same level of futility drafting Quarterbacks recently.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yup, I bought into the hype a bit about him. I was hoping for him in round 4, but the Jets bailed us out on that one lol.

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Still waiting on the mea culpa of all the brainiacs that said Jalen Ramsey 1) wasn't actually a legit cornerback prospect; and 2) that he supposedly wasn't even that good a cornerback based on his low INT totals in college.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Christian Hackenberg was released by the Jets. He was a guy I wanted us to draft in 2016. Whew, shows you what I know. I'm glad we got Dak.

College success doesn’t always equate to NFL success. It’s OK to be wrong.

Aven8

Reaction score
McGee was a good pick that didn't work out. 4th round is where you take shots at guys like him who are highly athletic, good arm, but mental aspect unknown.

McGee was awful in college. It was no surprise how his pro career turned out. Reaction time of a sloth.

InTheZone

Reaction score
Happens every year. People wanted Christian Ponder over Tyron Smith. Drafted same year as Cam btw and no one knows where's he's at now

InTheZone

Reaction score
It really depends on the prospect. If an Andrew Luck is there, you give up whatever. If it's some dude who can run but is a subpar passer, RGIII for example, no way.

There are prospects worth giving up the farm for, like Wentz, but due to extreme need, most team evaluate poorly and end up w/ strongarmed mental midgets or fleet of footers who should be playing WR.
Rg3 beat Dallas to make the playoffs with his arm, but maybe Brandon Carr helped out with some of that...lol

JustChip

Reaction score
Rg3 beat Dallas to make the playoffs with his arm, but maybe Brandon Carr helped out with some of that...lol

And Pierre Garcon. RG3 was extremely inaccurate in that Thanksgiving game. Garcon had to do a complete 360 to catch a ball on a crossing route that was well behind him, which he did and managed to take to the house. On paper, it looked like RG3 threw a 60 yard TD pass, but it was really all Garcon. I know that's just 1 pass, but he was never an accurate pocket passer.

InTheZone

Reaction score
And Pierre Garcon. RG3 was extremely inaccurate in that Thanksgiving game. Garcon had to do a complete 360 to catch a ball on a crossing route that was well behind him, which he did and managed to take to the house. On paper, it looked like RG3 threw a 60 yard TD pass, but it was really all Garcon. I know that's just 1 pass, but he was never an accurate pocket passer.
you're right, I was thinking of the November game when RG3 beat us by passing.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
What this shows is that the draft, particularly in regards to QBs, is a crap-shoot. There are zero guarantees. That's why I would never give up the farm to move up to draft a QB #1.

I think the Browns are about to prove you don't have to move @ all...and screw up your draft. I'm just not buying the

Baker Mayfield hype machine...:dance:

Not that Darnold was the answer either...I really think a year from now...the Browns are gonna see Saquan Barkley...and wonder what the hell were they thinking passing on this kid?...and then taking Denzel Ward w/ the 4th pick...:confused: