2017 NCAA Football thread

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
8 would be better than 4 but either system is light years better than what there was before.

I will never understand why it took so long for a playoff system to be put in place.

I said all along it wouldn't take away from the bowl games it would only generate MORE interest in college football.

diefree666

Reaction score
If that happens, so be it. Besides, with 8 spots, you'll get 2-loss teams in there every year. May as well be a conference champ.
Your problem is you conflate the NFL with College Football. Until you realize the fundamental difference you will always be wrong.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Your problem is you conflate the NFL with College Football. Until you realize the fundamental difference you will always be wrong.
I am not conflating anything and the fact that you think I am shows you just aren't understanding the conversation. Conferences should mean something and conference championships should mean something. Problem is there are 5 conferences and only 4 spots, not to mention the possibility where a conference champion gets passed over by another team in the same conference.

They have 24 teams in FCS playoffs. The have 14 teams in Division 2. They have 16 teams in Division 3. Having only 4 in the top division is simply out of whack.

If you give conference champions automatic passes then you encourage better out of conference games. What's the message being sent this year when 2-loss OSU gets passed over by 1-loss Alabama? The message is: Schedule cup cakes for your out of conference games. You gain nothing by winning while a loss seriously damages your chances at the playoffs.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yes 8 is too many. You will have a big difference between #1 and #8. Six is stretching it to me but I think its the fairest way. Bluntly speaking there is never 8 teams that really could be the best in the nation.
Not sure I fully buy that.
This year Auburn is the 7 seed and beat the 4 seed by 12.

I think there's 8 legit playoff teams a year easily.

Now I don't think you ever go beyond 8 but 8 offers great possibilities; can respect conf champs, gives the Gof5 teams a chance and very likely provides a crapton of great, meaningful ratings through the roof football.

In my scenario:
1. Clemson v 8. UCF
4. Alabama v 5. Ohio State
3. Georgia v 6. Wisconsin
2. OU v 7. USC

That my friend covers the entire country with interest by representing all major conferences, respects the rankings to grab 2 add-on SEC teams and gives the Group of 5 and all underdog fans a squad.

diefree666

Reaction score
Not sure I fully buy that.
This year Auburn is the 7 seed and beat the 4 seed by 12.

I think there's 8 legit playoff teams a year easily.

Now I don't think you ever go beyond 8 but 8 offers great possibilities; can respect conf champs, gives the Gof5 teams a chance and very likely provides a crapton of great, meaningful ratings through the roof football.

In my scenario:
1. Clemson v 8. UCF
4. Alabama v 5. Ohio State
3. Georgia v 6. Wisconsin
2. OU v 7. USC

That my friend covers the entire country with interest by representing all major conferences, respects the rankings to grab 2 add-on SEC teams and gives the Group of 5 and all underdog fans a squad.

see the difference here is that to me its NOT ABOUT playoff positions as it is here in the NFL. Its about teams that are legitimate NC contenders. LIke we label legitimate SB contenders.
There are rarely more than 4 or so in the NFL; now and then there might be one or two more but that is rare. I want only teams that are good enough to win it all in the playoffs. In college that is usually at MOST 6 and quite often less.

Ghost12

Reaction score
see the difference here is that to me its NOT ABOUT playoff positions as it is here in the NFL. Its about teams that are legitimate NC contenders. LIke we label legitimate SB contenders.
There are rarely more than 4 or so in the NFL; now and then there might be one or two more but that is rare. I want only teams that are good enough to win it all in the playoffs. In college that is usually at MOST 6 and quite often less.
There are 8 teams good enough to win it all. Right now you have 4 teams in the playoffs.... throw in Ohio State, throw in Auburn, throw in USC and you easily have 7 teams good enough to win. The 8th team should go to an undefeated group of 5 team so this year it would be UCF. If anything, they would be the only team not good enough to really compete but even then, we get to solve the problem of having half the FBS teams literally eliminated before the start of the season.

DFWJC

Reaction score
8 would be better than 4 but either system is light years better than what there was before.

I will never understand why it took so long for a playoff system to be put in place.

I said all along it wouldn't take away from the bowl games it would only generate MORE interest in college football.
I think the number of games was part of the argument.
Which looks silly now given that kept ibcreasing the schedule anyway.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
It's about great football versus demeaning the entire experience by chumping out with votes as the end.
This "Alabama in" nonsense is very AP 1985.
It's based on past performance and has little to do with the players on the field for Bama this year,

EVERY other level of football has playoffs.
This is our greatest American sport and we decided it on the highest collegiate by "votes"??

Terrible.

If you win a P5 championship you deserve to represent that conference in the playoffs.
If you are the highest ranked Gof5 team you deserve by virtue of being the best of that entire lot to represent your "mid-majors" in a playoff.

And once they get those 8 teams there we have no idea who will win because we've already seen that in 3 years the 4 seed, a 2 seed and a 2 seed have won it all.

The entire point of a playoffs is admitting voters suck, winning on the field counts and people want to see more meaningful games between good opponents.

Ghost12

Reaction score
If you win a P5 championship you deserve to represent that conference in the playoffs.
If you are the highest ranked Gof5 team you deserve by virtue of being the best of that entire lot to represent your "mid-majors" in a playoff.
Amen, and I think this is the part that I find most disturbing.

You can literally walk up to every team in the AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, CUSA, MAC and say "even if you win all your games, you'll still have no chance whatsoever of making the playoffs." That literally eliminates half the teams before a single game is even played. How is that a good system??

DFWJC

Reaction score
Amen, and I think this is the part that I find most disturbing.

You can literally walk up to every team in the AAC, Sun Belt, Mountain West, CUSA, MAC and say "even if you win all your games, you'll still have no chance whatsoever of making the playoffs." That literally eliminates half the teams before a single game is even played. How is that a good system??
True. It does suck for them

I do think if those teams schedule monster non-conference games and win those too, they would get in if tney ran the table.
But getting teams to schedule you, and getting more than just one to do it, it tough.

But, for example, Boise St would've made the playoff if there was one a few years ago.

It can happen.

Buzzbait

Reaction score
TCU beat Stanford 39-37 in the Alamo Bowl, that game was wild and crazy. Great game!

Hardline

Reaction score
giphy.gif
I bet no one realized this is Rosie Perez.

Doomsday

Rising Star
Reaction score
Shouldn't that be a false start on the kicker on that extra point?

jimmy40

Reaction score
on OU's moronic squib kick at the end of the first half with 6 seconds left, the Georgia player snagged the ball took a step and then kneeled, clock never started, no way Georgia should have gotten 2 plays with the field goal. OU got screwed on that so thank you refs.

JohnnyTheFox

Achilleslastand
Reaction score
Mayfield better get ready to enter the pit of misery aka Cleveland Browns, dilly dilly. Couldn't happen to a nicer Dbag....