2017 NCAA Football thread

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
Alabama will probably get in I think with Auburn getting beat 28-7 and Wisconsin currently losing 21-7.

Unless the teams who beat or are currently beating those teams Georgia and Ohio State get in instead but they're 2 loss teams.

Clemson's winning 21-0 I'm assuming they hold on.

My guess top 4
Oklahoma (lock)
Clemson
Alabama
Georgia

SacredStar

Reaction score
Alabama will probably get in I think with Auburn getting beat 28-7 and Wisconsin currently losing 21-7.

Unless the teams who beat or are currently beating those teams Georgia and Ohio State get in instead but they're 2 loss teams.

Clemson's winning 21-0 I'm assuming they hold on.

My guess top 4
Oklahoma (lock)
Clemson
Alabama
Georgia

So you believe the Buckeyes are out no matter what happens tonight?

diefree666

Reaction score
The fact that Auburn got beat pretty good after beating Alabama pretty good will be on the Committee's mind no matter what they claim

I think there is a very good chance that if OSU really thumps Wisconsin its Clemson, Ga, Ok, OSU

SacredStar

Reaction score
Well Ohio State didn't thump Wisconsin so we wait and see what the selection committee does. I believe if the Buckeyes get in, they will get trounced again, as would Wisconsin had they gotten in.

diefree666

Reaction score
Well Ohio State didn't thump Wisconsin so we wait and see what the selection committee does. I believe if the Buckeyes get in, they will get trounced again, as would Wisconsin had they gotten in.
Yeah I think the performance was not enough to jump them ahead of Alabama. Which sucks because I wanted Alabama left out.

Elusive6thRing

Reaction score
I predicted correctly: Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ule-alabama-snags-final-spot-over-ohio-state/

I never bought Ohio State as a team that would get in due to two losses and they got blown out in both of those losses. All of the teams in have 1 loss.

It's 1 Clemson vs 4 Alabama (Sugar Bowl) 2 Oklahoma vs 3 Georgia (Rose Bowl)

I'll be sick if Alabama wins this thing.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Historically speaking, here is how the playoff committee operates (please bear in mind these rules only apply to the power-5):

1) The most important factor: fewest losses. This seems simple enough even though right now the rankings don't show it as there are a couple undefeated teams outside the top-4. While they don't order things perfectly according to losses in their final rankings, fact is no team has failed to make the playoffs in lieu of a team with more losses. This bodes well for Wisconsin and Miami controlling their own destiny, even though they are currently on the outside looking in (especially since Miami still has 2 games left against teams ahead of them). But even when a lot of people thought Stanford (2015) or Penn State (2016) deserved to go, that 2nd loss was just too much to overcome.

2) Second most important: Winning the conference. This works as a tie breaker for teams with equal numbers of losses. It propelled Michigan State over Iowa and Ohio State in 2015. Only 1 team has made the playoffs without winning their conference, OSU last year (but they got in on the strength of being 1 of only 4 teams with only 1 loss or fewer). This might work to hurt the loser of Alabama-UGA.

3) Third most important: Winning the conference championship game. Playing in and winning a CCG gives a team a boost over a team that wins their conference without a CCG, like the Big XII in 2014. This is not relevant anymore as we all play CCG's now.
After all was said and done, this formula that I posted 4 weeks ago held up. The top 4 was straight up teams with the fewest losses. Since we had 5 of them, you go to conference winners. Those 3 teams were in. Then all you had to do was settle Alabama or Wisconsin, which is no-brainer.

diefree666

Reaction score
I predicted correctly: Clemson, Oklahoma, Alabama, Georgia.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-f...ule-alabama-snags-final-spot-over-ohio-state/

I never bought Ohio State as a team that would get in due to two losses and they got blown out in both of those losses. All of the teams in have 1 loss.

It's 1 Clemson vs 4 Alabama (Sugar Bowl) 2 Oklahoma vs 3 Georgia (Rose Bowl)

I'll be sick if Alabama wins this thing.
some of the commentators believe that really bad loss to Iowa pretty much sank OSU barring an absolute destruction of Wisconsin.

I had forgotten about that Iowa debacle; now it really does make sense to leave OSU out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
The playoff simply must go to 8 teams.
5 P5 winners, top-ranked Gof5 team and 2 highest ranked teams left.

Taking a team that didn't even win their division declared the conference championship games totally meaningless.

UCF should have went over Bama, easily.
This is not a great Bama team by any stretch. Offense has stagnated much as it did pre-Kiffin.
LB corps was really banged up and injured last month of the season.
Their last P5 win was Nov 11th I believe.
They onmly lost 1 game but also played one less meaningful than 10 other P5 team who did go to conference championships.
SEC only plays 8 conf games and plays a blow off game in November. Trash.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Bruce Feldman tweeted earlier that Fisher would bringing in a lot of his old coaching staff. James Coley (UGA) might be the OC. There is some talk of Dameyune Craig being brought in as Offensive Assistant.

Going to be interesting to watch and see how this plays out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
TAMU has generally had delusions of grandeur while doing nothing other than the brief Maniel era, but this Jimbo Fisher hire was a home run.
He is an excellent coach that can recruit and knows East Texas/Louisiana form his time at LSU.

That school did a great job of paying up for a proven head coach and stealing from a 'lesser' conference who can;t get it's money right even as it's winning College Playoff Championships.

diefree666

Reaction score
The playoff simply must go to 8 teams.
5 P5 winners, top-ranked Gof5 team and 2 highest ranked teams left.

Taking a team that didn't even win their division declared the conference championship games totally meaningless.

UCF should have went over Bama, easily.
This is not a great Bama team by any stretch. Offense has stagnated much as it did pre-Kiffin.
LB corps was really banged up and injured last month of the season.
Their last P5 win was Nov 11th I believe.
They onmly lost 1 game but also played one less meaningful than 10 other P5 team who did go to conference championships.
SEC only plays 8 conf games and plays a blow off game in November. Trash.

8 is too many.

I would go 6 with the top two having byes. and no team that wins a conference gets an automatic bid. Keep that out.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
8 is too many.

I would go 6 with the top two having byes. and no team that wins a conference gets an automatic bid. Keep that out.

Then end conf championship games.
It's pointless to have a Champion of one of your 5 conferences bumped by a non-champ.
So those games either matter or they do not.

I have ZERO idea if Bama woulda beat Georgia but I do know they didn't have to play them at all because they lost in major fashion while scoring only 14 points versus a mediocre Auburn defense.
And they haven't won a P5 game since November 11th.

8 teams is not too many.
Reduce the nonsense games and have everyone play 10 regular season games. 8 or 9 conf (standardize at the number you choose) 1 or 2 warm up games. Then have bowl games and playoffs.
BUT, I can live with 6 as a massive improvement at 5 p5 champs and top Gof5 team.
If you want to get the best non Conf Champs in you gotta go to 8.

DFWJC

Reaction score
TAMU has generally had delusions of grandeur while doing nothing other than the brief Maniel era, but this Jimbo Fisher hire was a home run.
He is an excellent coach that can recruit and knows East Texas/Louisiana form his time at LSU.

That school did a great job of paying up for a proven head coach and stealing from a 'lesser' conference who can;t get it's money right even as it's winning College Playoff Championships.
All conferences are "lessor" conferences in football vs the SEC.

Texas AM led all univerities last year in atletic revenue.
They were #1
More than Texas. More than Ohio State.

Florida St was paying Fisher extremely well compared to all leagues.
And the Clemson coach is more highly paid that all but maybe 1-2 coaches in the country.

Not sure why over the years you always feel the need to disrespect the ACC.

You were so certain a few years ago that the Big 12 could just take whatever ACC team they wanted.
Wrong
Or even before then, that the ACC wouldnt win another national title again.
Meanwhile, two differnt teams (FSU, Clemson) have won it all since then and theyve played in 3 title games.
Dont be surprised if Miami challenges soon too.

Why the hate?
I don't get it

Last edited:

diefree666

Reaction score
Then end conf championship games.
It's pointless to have a Champion of one of your 5 conferences bumped by a non-champ.
So those games either matter or they do not.

I have ZERO idea if Bama woulda beat Georgia but I do know they didn't have to play them at all because they lost in major fashion while scoring only 14 points versus a mediocre Auburn defense.
And they haven't won a P5 game since November 11th.

8 teams is not too many.
Reduce the nonsense games and have everyone play 10 regular season games. 8 or 9 conf (standardize at the number you choose) 1 or 2 warm up games. Then have bowl games and playoffs.
BUT, I can live with 6 as a massive improvement at 5 p5 champs and top Gof5 team.
If you want to get the best non Conf Champs in you gotta go to 8.
Yes 8 is too many. You will have a big difference between #1 and #8. Six is stretching it to me but I think its the fairest way. Bluntly speaking there is never 8 teams that really could be the best in the nation.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Yes 8 is too many. You will have a big difference between #1 and #8. Six is stretching it to me but I think its the fairest way. Bluntly speaking there is never 8 teams that really could be the best in the nation.
True but there aren't 68 basketball teams that could really be the best in the nation either. 4 is too few. There are too few inter-conference games to know who really is the best, not to mention half the NCAA is literally eliminated before the season ever begins because there will never be a "group of 5" team in it (they should be a separate divison and hold their own championship). Each conference winner of the Power 5 should be in, set up certain criteria to automatically include a group-of-5 team, then 2 or 3 at large spots.

diefree666

Reaction score
True but there aren't 68 basketball teams that could really be the best in the nation either. 4 is too few. There are too few inter-conference games to know who really is the best, not to mention half the NCAA is literally eliminated before the season ever begins because there will never be a "group of 5" team in it (they should be a separate divison and hold their own championship). Each conference winner of the Power 5 should be in, set up certain criteria to automatically include a group-of-5 team, then 2 or 3 at large spots.
the problem with automatic spots is you will get just about every year one of the major conference champions with at least 2 losses and sometimes more. No automatic bids at all.

Ghost12

Reaction score
the problem with automatic spots is you will get just about every year one of the major conference champions with at least 2 losses and sometimes more. No automatic bids at all.
If that happens, so be it. Besides, with 8 spots, you'll get 2-loss teams in there every year. May as well be a conference champ.