2017 NCAA Football thread

diefree666

Reaction score
You have to put Alabama as the favorite to win it all; but the margin is a lot less than it has been.

Georgia- not really sure about them. They played ND early in the year and a lot of times that early means little later on.

ND seems to be in a groove but so does Miami and that game will really settle some things

Oklahoma just does not have the D. Clemson- really not sure about them either.

Bluntly speaking no one else really is in it - Wisconsin is not that good- watched a couple of their games.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
I thought you meant Miami had an easy schedule. It is foolish to say ND has had one. Right now Sagarin has their schedule ranked at #14 in the nation (Miami is 31, Alabama is 56 and Wisconsin is 68). They are 3-1 against the top 25. I am not saying they are the only ones, but not many teams can claim 3 wins over the top 25 (OU is another team that can make that claim, and Sagarin has their schedule ranked #8).
I just go by what I hear on TV about ND, like the Egals, I don't follow either. So technically, it's those so called analyst that your saying are foolish. I think I'll stick with what they say, after all, according to some in here, they're ALWAYS correct.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
If Miami beats ND and loses to Clemson in a nail biter ACC championship- could they still be a playoff team?

I see this as a highly possible situation if OU loses another game. Wisconsin gets beat by a 2- loss team in Big 10 championship no question. ND with 2 losses should be eliminated with a loss next Saturday night.
Miami won't beat ND.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Alabama has only played the 41st best schedule. That's why I cant say they are prohibited favorites.
The are very good but they are't tested yet. All that said with 1 or less loss that team gets in. They have cushion based on perception.

Oklahoma has a trash defense but the best offense in college football and they've played the 2nd hardest schedule in college football. They get in with 1 loss guaranteed.
Same for Clemson. 1 loss and they get in regardless.

Notre Dame has the 9th hardest schedule. They are good to go provided they don't have to battle Clemson (conf champ in their affiliated conf) or Georgia with the 1 loss coming off a very close loss to Bama.
Like their odds quite a lot but no CCG hurts if we see 4 CCG winners with 1 loss.

1 loss Wash has the 53rd hardest sched and they need a lot of 1 loss teams to lose.
Wisc has only the 58th hardest schedule so 1 loss prolly dooms them, even if they bounced back and won the CCG.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Oh wow. Barkley is one of the 4 candidates for the Harnug Award. First Penn Stater to ever be a candidate. At least something came out good for PS this season.

diefree666

Reaction score
https://www.teamrankings.com/college-football/ranking/schedule-strength-by-other

Alabama has only played the 41st best schedule. That's why I cant say they are prohibited favorites.
The are very good but they are't tested yet. All that said with 1 or less loss that team gets in. They have cushion based on perception.

Oklahoma has a trash defense but the best offense in college football and they've played the 2nd hardest schedule in college football. They get in with 1 loss guaranteed.
Same for Clemson. 1 loss and they get in regardless.

Notre Dame has the 9th hardest schedule. They are good to go provided they don't have to battle Clemson (conf champ in their affiliated conf) or Georgia with the 1 loss coming off a very close loss to Bama.
Like their odds quite a lot but no CCG hurts if we see 4 CCG winners with 1 loss.

1 loss Wash has the 53rd hardest sched and they need a lot of 1 loss teams to lose.
Wisc has only the 58th hardest schedule so 1 loss prolly dooms them, even if they bounced back and won the CCG.

Clemson's problem is their loss is so bad. Syracuse. So I doubt they get in over ND if ND wins out. ND's loss was to Georgia and they have a tougher schedule- ND is NOT part of the ACC as regards football so that is not a factor.

Oklahoma's D is so bad that I think that really hurts them with the committee.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Clemson's problem is their loss is so bad. Syracuse. So I doubt they get in over ND if ND wins out. ND's loss was to Georgia and they have a tougher schedule- ND is NOT part of the ACC as regards football so that is not a factor.

The committee in past has stated directly they don't care about quality of loss only quality of wins.
See OSU losing to a bad Indiana team.

Again Oklahoma soundly beat OSU on the road and has the 2nd toughest overall schedule. They are more than fine provided they don't lose again.
Outside SEC champ and Clemson they are easiest paths.

diefree666

Reaction score
The committee in past has stated directly they don't care about quality of loss only quality of wins.

Again Oklahoma soundly beat OSU on the road and has the 2nd toughest overall schedule. They are more than fine provided they don't lose again.

yeah they TALK about not taking into account bad losses but they do. Just won't admit it. I mean honestly if you are going to count quality wins then you have to count bad losses as well.

Ghost12

Reaction score
That is what I said to my girlfriend last week watching Bedlam. When the score hit the 40's for each team, I told her that no matter which team won, both teams lost in the eyes of the committee.

I really want the Big XII to represent well in the playoffs. I think OU is my only hope. I just don't think TCU is for real.

Ghost12

Reaction score
OSU hasn't lost to Indiana in years, certainly not in the playoff era. Last year their only loss was to a good Penn St. team. Don't remember whom they lost to in 2014.
If OU wins out, they should pass Clemson and they should also pass the SEC CCG loser, even if that game is undefeated Alabama versus undefeated UGA.

DFWJC

Reaction score
OSU hasn't lost to Indiana in years, certainly not in the playoff era. Last year their only loss was to a good Penn St. team. Don't remember whom they lost to in 2014.

If OU wins out, they should pass Clemson and they should also pass the SEC CCG loser, even if that game is undefeated Alabama versus undefeated UGA.
I don't see OU leap-frogging Clemson if they both win out..

Not so sure Clemson wins out anyway though.

• I realize Florida St is way down this year, but it's not a total gimme.
  • AT rival South Carolina (who is pretty decent and will probably be 8-3 when they play...anything happens in rivalry games)
  • rival Miami--who will be either undefeated or have one loss--would be their Conf Title game opponent

And with Clemson being the defending champ and ACC teams winning 2 of the last 4 National titles, they will help there too.

Ghost12

Reaction score
I don't see OU leap-frogging Clemson if they both win out..

Not so sure Clemson wins out anyway though.

• I realize Florida St is way down this year, but it's not a total gimme.
  • AT rival South Carolina (who is pretty decent and will probably be 8-3 when they play...anything happens in rivalry games)
  • rival Miami--who will be either undefeated or have one loss--would be their Conf Title game opponent

And with Clemson being the defending champ and ACC teams winning 2 of the last 4 National titles, they will help there too.
That's a fair statement.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Is it safe to say the Pac 12 has been eliminated?:muttley:
Yeah their one hope was Washington, who probably moves up to 7 with a victory over Stanford plus a loss from TCU-OU and Miami-ND. But Stanford had other plans last night.

Even if we have a situation where they have to select a 2-loss team for the playoffs, it certainly won't be from the Pac-12.

Ghost12

Reaction score
Miami up 2 TD's over ND. Miami winning does OU/TCU winner a huge favor because not only does it get rid of Notre Dame, but it creates a situation where we can guarantee a loss for Clemson or Miami at some point going forward.

Get ND out of the way and OU/TCU winner controls their destiny IMHO. My only concern is the Big XII cannibalizes themselves (again). When they announced a Big XII CCG I rolled my eyes and said it could easily hurt the conference as much as help.

mmohican29

Reaction score
Miami is light years better than Notre Dame. Where's daboyzruleperiod?

"Miami won't beat Notre Dame."

What a joke LOL

DFWJC

Reaction score

Both Miami and Clemson may be ranked in the top 4 when they play in the ACC CCG. The winner would be in...imo

Maybe OU gets in too though. Love watching them this year.

OU, Clemson or Miami, an SEC team, and someone else.

After all the chaos today, the rankings this week could be something like

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Miami
  5. Georgia
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Auburn
  8. ?
  9. ?

Last edited:

mmohican29

Reaction score
Both Miami and Clemson may be ranked in the top 4 when they play in the ACC CCG. The winner would be in...imo

Maybe OU gets in too though. Love watching them this year.

OU, Clemson or Miami, an SEC team, and someone else.

After all the chaos today, the rankings this week could be something like

1. Alabama
  2. Clemson
  3. Oklahoma
  4. Miami
  5. Georgia
  6. Wisconsin
  7. Auburn
  8. ?
  9. ?

Georgia at 5?

Auburn is much better. Georgia's victory at ND is hardly impressive considering Miami's thrashing of ND tonight.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Georgia at 5?

Auburn is much better. Georgia's victory at ND is hardly impressive considering Miami's thrashing of ND tonight.
Yeah, I was only concerned with the top 4.
Almost only listed a possible top 4 because someone always jumps in a disagrees
I dont know how the rankings will look

Usually a top ranked undefeated team doesn't fall too far this late in the year after having one terrible road game. But who knows. Auburn certainly thrashed them today.