2017 NFL Combine

tm1119

Reaction score
Consider Tapper as a draft pick this year. Wouldn't shock me to see us not take a DE @ all this year. Instead go DT....

LDE- Irving/Lawerence
RDE-Ware/Tapper

That's worst case scenario. Irving and Lawrence aren't under contract in 2018 and Ware might not be playing still. We need to build a D line for the future through the draft.

Deep_Freeze

Reaction score
Consider Tapper as a draft pick this year. Wouldn't shock me to see us not take a DE @ all this year. Instead go DT....

LDE- Irving/Lawerence
RDE-Ware/Tapper

I wouldn't mind drafting a DT, DE, LB, S, and 2 CBs. Throw in a speedy WR, and I'm done.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That's worst case scenario. Irving and Lawrence aren't under contract in 2018 and Ware might not be playing still. We need to build a D line for the future through the draft.

It's the most likely scenario. I forgot to even include Irving as he's more of a Swiss army knife along the DL.

Tapper's one draft pick they are adding. If they draft another that's two added to the mix. You may not agree with it but listen to Jerry's hour long interview at the Combine and what he had to say about Lawrence and Tapper. I think this is the mindset.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
Tapper's one draft pick they are adding. If they draft another that's two added to the mix. You may not agree with it but listen to Jerry's hour long interview at the Combine and what he had to say about Lawrence and Tapper. I think this is the mindset.

That would be the mindset in one of the more loaded DE drafts in ages.

What I really just cannot get is acting like Tapper is some top prospect that just redshirted like Jaylon Smith.

Put Tapper in this draft class and he might even not get drafted until the 5th or 6th.

tm1119

Reaction score
It's the most likely scenario. I forgot to even include Irving as he's more of a Swiss army knife along the DL.

There's still room for 2 additions.

Irving
Crawford
Collins
Thornton
Tapper
Mayowa
Lawrence
McClain/replacement 1 tech
Rookie 1st/2nd round DE
Rookie/free agent DE

That's the 10 d line on the 53 roster right there. It would cause a lot of competition and 2 of those guys wouldn't be dressed, but depth is hardly a bad thing. Especially with the medical history of that group

Alexander

Reaction score

Irving
Crawford
Collins
Thornton
Tapper
Mayowa
Lawrence
Rookie 1st/2nd round DE
Rookie/free agent DE

That's the 10 d line on the 53 roster right there. It would cause a lot of competition and 2 of those guys wouldn't be dressed, but depth is hardly a bad thing. Especially with the medical history of that group

Let McClain go. That means 3.

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score
That would be the mindset in one of the more loaded DE drafts in ages.

What I really just cannot get is acting like Tapper is some top prospect that just redshirted like Jaylon Smith.

Put Tapper in this draft class and he might even not get drafted until the 5th or 6th.

I like Tapper...but I hear you. Counting on the guy to stay healthy for all of next year...doesn't sound like a good plan.:rolleyes:

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

Irving
Crawford
Collins
Thornton
Tapper
Mayowa
Lawrence
Rookie 1st/2nd round DE
Rookie/free agent DE

Well if you add UDFA then yeah I can see one earning a roster spot but if you're expecting a couple of draft DEs, especially early, I think you're going to be disappointed.

And unlike Alexander, I actually think Tapper's got a lot of ability.

Alexander

Reaction score
I like Tapper...but I hear you. Counting on the guy to stay healthy for all of next year...doesn't sound like a good plan.:rolleyes:
The Jaylon Smith optimism I can accept. If healthy, he is an elite player no question about it.

Tapper was never regarded as much more than what we thought we had when we drafted him in the 4th last year. Yet he's going to step up and be a solution?

Please tell me we aren't this clueless.