2018 Draft Chatter

rkell87

Reaction score
And how many late 1st rounders from that draft have had better careers than BJ?
It's not even about that, it's that a lot of us wanted Landon Collins who went a few picks later and looks like the superior choice thus far. That draft was a mine field, we ended up with a good player which is better than more than half of the other teams can say but it still feels like we missed for stupid reasons. I really hope they went back to adjust the formula after jones/Collins because it had to be close grade wise, Collins with better tape jones better measurables it's clear that formula has to be tweaked to make Collins grade out higher and hope that tweak improves overall player evaluations and drafting.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
It's not even about that, it's that a lot of us wanted Landon Collins who went a few picks later and looks like the superior choice thus far. That draft was a mine field, we ended up with a good player which is better than more than half of the other teams can say but it still feels like we missed for stupid reasons. I really hope they went back to adjust the formula after jones/Collins because it had to be close grade wise, Collins with better tape jones better measurables it's clear that formula has to be tweaked to make Collins grade out higher and hope that tweak improves overall player evaluations and drafting.
Its a weird situation between those two.

Rookie year BJ was one one of the best in the draft class(highest grade of all 1st rounders) while Collins was rated a bottom 3 safety of all safeties, not just rookies. Giants fans wanted him cut after his rookie season.

Then Collins was a DPOY candidate their soph year while BJ was still a good player, but not close to DPOY level.

Then last year both underwhelmed.

BJ was much better one season, Collins was much better the next, then the next they were noth equally underwhelming.

Wouldnt dog them too much for the selection at this point, Collins hasnt given anyone a reason to dog the selection.

cnuball21

Reaction score

Rookie year BJ was one one of the best in the draft class(highest grade of all 1st rounders) while Collins was rated a bottom 3 safety of all safeties, not just rookies. Giants fans wanted him cut after his rookie season.

Then Collins was a DPOY candidate their soph year while BJ was still a good player, but not close to DPOY level.

BJ was much better one season, Collins was much better the next, then the next they were noth equally underwhelming.

Wouldnt dog them too much for the selection at this point, Collins hasnt given anyone a reason to dog the selection.

Great post - I'll add that everyone seems to forget that Collins' scouting reports said he couldn't cover...so not a lot of people saw an all pro type kid.

kskboys

Reaction score

Collins happened to be good when the Gnats DLine was awesome.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score

I might be on an island on this one, but I'd consider this rep a loss.

That's the least possible seperation for a WR that you can create. The CB is blanketed over him 15 yards down field, which is an ample amount of time to create it.

Catch is great dispite the bobble, but that's just my 2 cents.

Sydla

Reaction score
In this age of technology why the hell is McShay taking a video of his TV screen?

LOL

skinsscalper

Reaction score
Meh. Literally every team can go back and look at previous drafts and see who they "could/should have drafted".

I'll use the same two teams/different draft:
Giants select: Eli Apple 10th overall pick in the 1st round of the draft
Cowboys select: Anthony Brown 189th overall pick in the 6th round of the draft.

Even with Brown's benching (and eventual rebound), it's not even close as to which player has had the better pro career. And Brown actually looks like he'll be a significant contributor to a young and promising secondary. Apple? It's a matter of time before the team completely cuts ties.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Draft will be televised by FOX

Several years ago, the NFL moved the draft to Thursday night in an effort to generate prime-time viewership. Starting this year, the NFL plans to take it the rest of the way, generating prime-time broadcast-network viewership.

Per multiple sources, the draft will be televised by FOX.

It’s believed FOX will carry a simulcast of the NFL Network feed, with ESPN continuing to televise the event on its own.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/14/draft-will-be-televised-by-fox/

Tristan

Reaction score
To be fair, most whole league needs to tweak theyre board then as everybody passed on him for a supposedly "higher graded" player, there were only about 5-10 players at most that should have been ranked ahead of him.

rkell87

Reaction score
Meh. Literally every team can go back and look at previous drafts and see who they "could/should have drafted".

I'll use the same two teams/different draft:
Giants select: Eli Apple 10th overall pick in the 1st round of the draft
Cowboys select: Anthony Brown 189th overall pick in the 6th round of the draft.

Even with Brown's benching (and eventual rebound), it's not even close as to which player has had the better pro career. And Brown actually looks like he'll be a significant contributor to a young and promising secondary. Apple? It's a matter of time before the team completely cuts ties.
You're making the tom Brady argument and it's not the same at all. We needed a safety we took a safety, the next one off the board soon after was better and who most of us wanted between the two. Nobody was comparing Apple to brown but we all were discussing jones vs Collins.

rkell87

Reaction score
To be fair, most whole league needs to tweak theyre board then as everybody passed on him for a supposedly "higher graded" player, there were only about 5-10 players at most that should have been ranked ahead of him.
I don't know what other teams are thinking but for us this situation is clear, whatever they thought gave jones the edge over Collins needs to be tweaked because I know it was close and personally I don't think Collins should be moved up but jones down, late first early second was right for Collins, jones should have been a solid second rounder.

Tristan

Reaction score
I don't know what other teams are thinking but for us this situation is clear, whatever they thought gave jones the edge over Collins needs to be tweaked because I know it was close and personally I don't think Collins should be moved up but jones down, late first early second was right for Collins, jones should have been a solid second rounder.
Didnt we have Collins rated as a second round prospect according to the leaked boards? Cause whover did that scouting needs to go

rkell87

Reaction score
Didnt we have Collins rated as a second round prospect according to the leaked boards? Cause whover did that scouting needs to go
I'm actually fine with that I have a problem with jones being graded higher. Whoever looked at all the evidence available for those two and decided jones was the better prospect needs re-evaluate how he grades prospects.

Tristan

Reaction score
I agree but I woukdnt want the giants scouts either, they hit on collins but wiffed big taking Flowers over Gurley.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And how many late 1st rounders from that draft have had better careers than BJ?

Why limit it to the 1st round? Landon Collins was the first pick of the second round. We could have easily taken him instead. We gambled on raw talent and lost.

Tristan

Reaction score
Heres the players we passed for Jones....
27 BYRON JONES

28 Laken Tomlison
29 Phillip Dorsette
30 Damarious Randal
31 Stephone Anthony
32 Malcom Brown
33 Landon Collins
34 Donavin Smith
35 Mario Edwards
36 TJ Yeldon
37 Devin Smith
38 Preston Smith