2018 Draft Chatter

stilltheguru88

Reaction score
Eh, not true at all but whatever
From what he’s been so far I’d say he’s a 3rd/4th round talent as well. It’s not like he blanks these tight ends he guards either. We’ll see what he does at cb now that he knows nfl speed after 3 years of experience

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
From what he’s been so far I’d say he’s a 3rd/4th round talent as well. It’s not like he blanks these tight ends he guards either. We’ll see what he does at cb now that he knows nfl speed after 3 years of experience
As stated before he was the top rated 1st round pick his rookie season, and built on that his 2nd year. He disappointed last year, but has been at least worth a 2nd rounder depending on how you view certain rounds.

QuincyCarterEra

Reaction score
Or a different excercise for determing his value. Go back and try to find players more valuable than him.

Its not easy to find 32 players that have performed better than BJones from his draft class, but saying he's a 3rd round means you could list roughly 90 players from his draft class, or 4th that'd be 118ish players. That's an impossiblr task, but one could take to determine his value. Youll quuckly find that he hasnt been a 3rd/4th.

cowboyec

Reaction score
DTs I like beyond 1st Rd
°Derrick Nnadi,Fsu
°Deadrin Senat,SFla
°Trenton Thompson,Georgia
°Nathan Shepherd,Ft.Hayes St
°John Atkins,Georgia

3rd_n_inches

Reaction score
I read this article earlier and thought it was worth a share...
https://www.___GET_REAL_URL___/cowb...sch-kemoko-turay-deon-cain-kalen-ballage/amp/

cowboyec

Reaction score
some centers who could move inside to Guard:
Frank Ragnow,Arkansas...did not allow a sack in 4yrs...WOW.
Madison Cole,Michigan...nasty run blocker

some names to consider for that OG spot.

cowboyec

Reaction score
some centers who could move inside to Guard:
Frank Ragnow,Arkansas...did not allow a sack in 4yrs...WOW.
Madison Cole,Michigan...nasty run blocker

some names to consider for that OG spot.
Mason Cole,Michigan.
sorry for the mistake.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Pre-combine positional boards are being set around the league, and there are a few surprises. In this week’s edition of Tuesday Draft Notes, we look at the tight ends and pick up where we left off on the offensive linemen from a week ago.

The top spots at the tight end position in the 2018 NFL Draft have been subject to much debate around the league. Yet in conversations, we found that most teams grade Ian Thomas of Indiana, Dallas Goedert of South Dakota State and Hayden Hurst from South Carolina as the top three, with the final order still to be determined. Combine results will weigh heavily on the final board.

Slightly behind those three is Mike Gesicki of Penn State.

Thomas’ story is rather amazing. The Hoosiers senior was not even rated by scouts entering the season but now moves towards the draft as a potential top-42 selection. The Baltimore native transferred to Indiana from Nassau County Community College and went from three receptions and no touchdowns as a junior in 2016 to 25 receptions and five TDs last season. His average of 15 yards per catch ranked second among Big Ten tight ends.

Thomas, considered a true blue-collar prospect, has chosen to stay at IU to train for the combine rather than attend a facility. I’m told he expects to run in the 4.6s during his workout after tipping the scales between 255 and 258 pounds. Thomas measured 6-foot-3 and three-eighths and 256 pounds at the Senior Bowl.

Goedert practiced for one day at the Senior Bowl before departing with a significant hamstring injury. I was told last week that there’s still no final decision on what he will do at the combine. Most I’ve spoken with believe that if there is a tight end to be selected in Round 1, it will be Goedert.

Last week, I read on Rotoworld that some in the league believe Hurst, who will be 25 years old this season, is maxed out physically. This means you get what you see with Hurst, and I see a very solid tight end who is well-versed in all areas of the position but not outstanding in any. In my own opinion, Hurst is a solid mid-round pick rather than the potential top-45 choice some teams have him pegged as.

Mark Andrews and Dalton Schultz are both graded as fringe third-round selections. Forty time is critical for Andrews, who must overcome the opinion held by many in the league that he’s a product of the Oklahoma system. It’s an opinion I do not share.

Troy Fumagalli of Wisconsin is graded as a fifth-rounder, as teams feel he’s nothing more than a No. 2 tight end. And as we posted during our Monday Musings column a week ago, Jordan Thomas is stamped as a late-rounder who will need time before he’s ready to step on an NFL field.

Going back to the offensive line, several teams have James Daniels of Iowa graded as the No. 2 center in the draft and feel he could land in the second round.

No one comes close to Quenton Nelson of Notre Dame at guard, but it’s a dog fight after that with teams split between Isaiah Wynn of Georgia and Will Hernandez from UTEP. Several teams have both graded as potential first-rounders yet believe only one will be a top-32 choice.

=============
From Tony Pauline

Beaker42

Reaction score
As stated before he was the top rated 1st round pick his rookie season, and built on that his 2nd year. He disappointed last year, but has been at least worth a 2nd rounder depending on how you view certain rounds.

I’m not viewing him by round, I see what he is on the field. After 3 seasons, he’s a 3rd rounder at best. Just doesn’t excel at his position. He doesn’t shut anybody down. Pretty much a JAG at safety. Hope it changes w/ a move to CB.

cnuball21

Reaction score
I’m not viewing him by round, I see what he is on the field. After 3 seasons, he’s a 3rd rounder at best. Just doesn’t excel at his position. He doesn’t shut anybody down. Pretty much a JAG at safety. Hope it changes w/ a move to CB.

But when you draft players you have to set up a board and draft players by round, based on their value and comparison to their peers for that specific year.

We did a great job in doing so they year we drafted Byron, as he has exceeded a lot of his peers that were selected in close proximity to where we got him.

After an up and down first few seasons, we got what appears to be an average NFL starter at the bottom of the 1st. If you have perspective and look big picture, that's actually pretty solid.