2018 Draft Chatter

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I have a mental disorder. I've got boxes of draft stuff going back to the 1990's that just gets bigger every year but I just can't throw away. I rarely ever look at it but I need to know it's near. To feel normal. It's like Jerry Fletcher and The Catcher and the Rye in Conspiracy Theory.

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
I have a mental disorder. I've got boxes of draft stuff going back to the 1990's that just gets bigger every year but I just can't throw away. I rarely ever look at it but I need to know it's near. To feel normal. It's like Jerry Fletcher and The Catcher and the Rye in Conspiracy Theory.
The draft is the best time if the year.....

cowboyec

Reaction score
welcome to the club.
I have over 500 Elvis CDs.

cowboyec

Reaction score
Picked up a few draft mags. Here's what they have the Cowboys doing in their mocks.

PFW - 1) James Washington
Lindy's - 1) Da'Ron Payne, 2) Mark Andrews
Athlon - 1) Da'Ron Payne, 2) Simmie Cobbs
DaRon Payne has over taken Maurice Hurst,DT-Michigan as the favorite.
Last year at this time I had settled on Taco or Charles Harris.
This year....Ridley,Payne,Wynn,Hernandez....1 of those 4 Im good.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
What bothers me about Payne is 5 career tackles for loss. That is alarmingly low for a guy who played extensively for 3 years. It's like Josh Allen's completion percentage. It's hard to overlook.

For comparison sake, Maurice Hurst played 3 and a half years and had 33.5 tackles for loss. Wide bodied 1 tech Vita Vea had almost double Payne in 3 years - 9.5.

He's your new 3 tech? What about the guy who had 5 sacks as a rookie and then you messed him up playing him out of position? I feel like this is a hole that isn't really there if we used our existing talent properly.

Now if you want to draft him there to play the 1 that makes more sense but the Cowboys won't do that. Any DT drafted in the first round will play the 3.

Last edited:

cowboyec

Reaction score
What bothers me about Payne is 5 career tackles for loss. That is alarmingly low for a guy who played extensively for 3 years. It's like Josh Allen's completion percentage. It's hard to overlook.

For comparison sake, Maurice Hurst played 3 and a half years and had 33.5 tackles for loss. Wide bodied 1 tech Vita Vea had almost double Payne in 3 years - 9.5.

He's your new 3 tech? What about the guy who had 5 sacks as a rookie and then you messed him up playing out of position?
Ive thought of Payne as a 1.
In the end....I believe they draft a DT in Rd 1 when I see it.
They haven't drafted a DT in the 1st since Russell Maryland.

Rob Rang on draftscout has us taking Michigan DT Maurice Hurst.

Last edited:

Floatyworm

The Labeled One
Reaction score

He's your new 3 tech? What about the guy who had 5 sacks as a rookie and then you messed him up playing him out of position? I feel like this is a hole that isn't really there if we used our existing talent properly.

Now if you want to draft him there to play the 1 that makes more sense but the Cowboys won't do that. Any DT drafted in the first round will play the 3.

Hence the reason Marinellie has gotto go...he just won't play a stud NT.:banghead:

Tristan

Reaction score

Well it certainly would've been nice if he played more often like he did in the playoffs, but in those games he was a dominant force and probably the best player on the field not named Tua. Definately a bit concerning but I have a thing for the "big game james" That come thru big with everything on the line! Id be happy if we get him but prefer Ridley, Hernandez and Wynn by a hair

tm1119

Reaction score

I don’t think playing the nose in Saban’s D really involes getting up field quickly. It’s more of a hold your ground and read and react to the play type of position. Payne had 53 total tackles playing against consistent double teams. Not overly impressive but I really like his ability to stack and shed blockers, maybe he’s not always in on the play but he’s usually wrecking havoc in the middle of the line. He’s the type of guy that makes the players behind him much better.

And I think he would 100% be a 1 tech for us. But he fits the 1 tech with 3 tech traits that Stephen talked about. Payne with a healthy rotation of Irving and Collins next to him would be amazing for our D

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don’t think playing the nose in Saban’s D really involes getting up field quickly. It’s more of a hold your ground and read and react to the play type of position. Payne had 53 total tackles playing against consistent double teams. Not overly impressive but I really like his ability to stack and shed blockers, maybe he’s not always in on the play but he’s usually wrecking havoc in the middle of the line. He’s the type of guy that makes the players behind him much better.

And I think he would 100% be a 1 tech for us. But he fits the 1 tech with 3 tech traits that Stephen talked about. Payne with a healthy rotation of Irving and Collins next to him would be amazing for our D

That sounds like excuses. We're talking three years. That's less than 2 TFLs a year. I assure you Vita Vea's not pinning his ears back one gapping and he put up double that number. What you describe is a 1 tech. They're not drafting a 1 tech in the first round here. If they take a DT he's going to have to play the 3 for Marinelli. Which means getting up the field and making plays in the backfield. Something Payne hasn't done.

tm1119

Reaction score
That sounds like excuses. We're talking three years. That's less than 2 TFLs a year. I assure you Vita Vea's not pinning his ears back one gapping and he put up double that number. What you describe is a 1 tech. They're not drafting a 1 tech in the first round here. If they take a DT he's going to have to play the 3 for Marinelli. Which means getting up the field and making plays in the backfield. Something Payne hasn't done.

Hasn’t done and can’t do are 2 completely different things. Youre not willing to project based on a players skillset when drafting? Or do you not think Payne has the skill set to be a productive pass rusher in the NFL?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Hasn’t done and can’t do are 2 completely different things. Youre not willing to project based on a players skillset when drafting? Or do you not think Payne has the skill set to be a productive pass rusher in the NFL?

In the top 20, I'd prefer a guy that has shown me he can do it on the field.

That is why I love Vea and Hurst at the DT position.

I like Payne, and would be fine with him at 19, I just like other DT players ahead of him. Scouts seem to like his potential at the next level but the lack of production is concerning. He looked like a top 10 player in the CFB championship tournament but where the heck was that all year?

cowboyec

Reaction score
nfldraftscout has Will Hernandez,G-Utep ahead of Isaiah Wynn,G-Georgia in their position rankings....Wynn had been listed ahead of Hernandez for awhile.

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score

Interesting since there are a bunch of draftniks who still had him on their top ten lists.

This just goes to show you that we don't know the half of it.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
His dream was to be the starting TE for the Philadelphia Eagles.

I'll have a brief moment of compassion for him. Pfffft.