2018 Passer Rating on 10+Yard Targets

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
If you go back, the attempt splits based on target distance were your idea. You probably thought it was a good idea until you saw the names. For that matter, calling these 10+yard targets "long" is also your idea.

No don't do that. That's arguing in bad faith. You presented a list that included Trubisky, Newton, Smith, Winston and Dak. I then pointed out how Dak among those passers threw it fewer than 10 yards much more frequently. When I did that you then brought in Rodgers, Brees and Brady.

fansince68

Reaction score
Cooper moved him up from what would be 18th to what would be 12th.

Here's the breakdown of the players targeted at 10+yards:
Gallup 49 tgt 84.0
Cooper 34 tgt 112.9
Beasley 24 tgt 143.5
Hurns 19 tgt 117.6
Jarwin 12 tgt 105.5
Thompson 10 tgt 28.8
Austin 7 tgt 89.9
others 20 tgt 56.9

Along with Moore, the keys this year are Gallup's development and/or Beasley's replacement.
Why did he throw more to Gallup ? Amari is money and almost unguardable. I wonder what's Daks stats were the previous year with 3 yard Witten playing TE.

America's Cowboy

Reaction score
Why did he throw more to Gallup ? Amari is money and almost unguardable. I wonder what's Daks stats were the previous year with 3 yard Witten playing TE.
Amari was probably taking up some double teams while Gallup (rookie) was getting single covered.

jnday

Reaction score
The thing I like about Cobb over Beasley is he's more likely to turn a play into something. He will have to get used to the difference in ball delivery from Rodgers to Prescott but he has the offseason, Cooper didn't.

The difference in the QB and Offense once Cooper arrived is nothing short of amazing to me. That just doesn't happen much. Takes time for WR's to get acclimated and adjust to the QB differences but he hit the ground running and to his credit, Dak began to immediately look for him. No way I would have thought those two hadn't been playing together for a long time.
Cobb has slowed down a lot over the last couple of years. Fans expecting him to play like he did 5-6 years ago are going to be badly disappointed. I wouldn’t be surprised if a younger WR knocked him off the roster if there is a decent , young WR that can play the slot WR position.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
No don't do that. That's arguing in bad faith. You presented a list that included Trubisky, Newton, Smith, Winston and Dak. I then pointed out how Dak among those passers threw it fewer than 10 yards much more frequently. When I did that you then brought in Rodgers, Brees and Brady.
Because, like Dak, they also threw it fewer than 10 yards much more frequently.

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
well put him in a throwing contest and let us see how he fairs. Oh yeah, that's been done and he's beaten no one. It's bad when your coach has to make up games to get you practicing accuracy.

percyhoward

Research Tool
Reaction score
Cooper scored most of his TDs on quick slants across the middle where DAK got rid of the ball on a 12 yd pass.

No long arching touch bombs down field like Meredith to Bob Hayes.

DAK does not throw like that.
I think it's easy to get tunnel vision about the one team you watch the most, and not have the perspective of what other teams are doing around the league.

20+yd targets
Prescott: 12% of total attempts, 115.7 passer rating
NFL avg: 13% of total attempts, 97.3 passer rating

That tells you Dak threw it deep about as often as everybody else, and with more success than most everybody else. Even in obvious passing situations (3rd/4th down and 3+), he had a 106.6 rating on 15+yard targets. When you look around and compare him to the rest of the league's quarterbacks, you find out that this is something he does well.

The area where criticism is actually justified is 10-19 yards, although most of that is with Gallup's targets (72.9), as opposed to the next three most targeted receivers (Cooper, Beasley, and Hurns -- 126.9). So even that may be 100% on the inexperience of Gallup.

Corso

Offseason mode... sleepy time
Reaction score
You don't like enhancing the argument with excellent players?
Just stay in that lane baby... You brought up these guys, not the better ones.

Corso

Reaction score
well put him in a throwing contest and let us see how he fairs. Oh yeah, that's been done and he's beaten no one. It's bad when your coach has to make up games to get you practicing accuracy.
And, like you've said at least 8 times today (most of them over and over in the same thread like you're telling a great joke): don't hurt his feelings.
Yeah? Am I getting this right?
I want to be cool too!

Captain-Crash

Reaction score
And, like you've said at least 8 times today (most of them over and over in the same thread like you're telling a great joke): don't hurt his feelings.
Yeah? Am I getting this right?
I want to be cool too!
glad you noticed, I'll post it a couple more times tiny.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I think it's easy to get tunnel vision about the one team you watch the most, and not have the perspective of what other teams are doing around the league.

20+yd targets
Prescott: 12% of total attempts, 115.7 passer rating
NFL avg: 13% of total attempts, 97.3 passer rating

That tells you Dak threw it deep about as often as everybody else, and with more success than most everybody else. Even in obvious passing situations (3rd/4th down and 3+), he had a 106.6 rating on 15+yard targets. When you look around and compare him to the rest of the league's quarterbacks, you find out that this is something he does well.

The area where criticism is actually justified is 10-19 yards, although most of that is with Gallup's targets (72.9), as opposed to the next three most targeted receivers (Cooper, Beasley, and Hurns -- 126.9). So even that may be 100% on the inexperience of Gallup.
Tunnel vision?

Let me clean my rose-colored glasses.

That's better.

I will accept your point about 10-19 yes.

I really am not a Google research nut.

I only follow Zeke and if he is over 100 yds..

And DAK if more than 200yds.

And if we hold more than 6 times a game.

Those numbers let me know what I want to watch for.

A cruncher I ain't.

:omg:

Corso

Reaction score
Tunnel vision?

Let me clean my rose-colored glasses.

That's better.

I will accept your point about 10-19 yes.

I really am not a Google research nut.

I only follow Zeke and if he is over 100 yds..

And DAK if more than 200yds.

And if we hold more than 6 times a game.

Those numbers let me know what I want to watch for.

A cruncher I ain't.

:omg:
I respect this.

Redball Express

All Aboard!!!
Reaction score
I respect this.
No.

You vouch for me.

Remember?

Makes me feel like I am in an old James Cagney gangster movie..

' Yeah copper..

"She vouches for me. We were at her place all night. I couldn't have murdered the mug.."

Been watching to many YouTube 50s movies.

Sorry.

Carry on.

:huh:

buybuydandavis

Reaction score
The difference in the QB and Offense once Cooper arrived is nothing short of amazing to me. That just doesn't happen much.

Cooper wasn't the only change at the bye.

And even the change at the bye is overestimated. We were actually outscored after the bye. We won close games. You can't count on winning so many close ones. Our scoring output went up 2 points. Not nothing but not a huge difference either.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
No checkdowns or screens here. These are all passes thrown at least 10 yards in the air past the line of scrimmage. Includes playoffs.

min 80 att
1 Wilson 130.9
2 Cousins 123.9
3 Brees 121.7
4 Ryan 119.6
5 Mahomes 119.3
6 Rodgers 118.4
7 Rivers 114.3
8 Watson 113.4
9 Brady 111.0
10 Wentz 110.2
11 Luck 109.0
12 Carr 101.5
13 Goff 100.9
14 Prescott 100.7
15 Stafford 98.3
16 Dalton 95.1
17 Roethlisberger 93.5
18 Manning 93.5
19 Mariota 91.2
20 Tannehill 90.8
21 Mayfield 89.2
22 Newton 83.9
23 Winston 82.9
24 Trubisky 82.2
25 Keenum 81.7
26 Darnold 76.6
27 Bortles 76.2
28 Jackson 71.7
29 Smith 71.6
30 Rosen 68.7
31 Allen 59.5

Prescott's 175 attempts at this distance also put him in the middle of the pack.

Dak was at 91.6 before Cooper's arrival, 105.6 after.
Appreciate the insight

Toruk_Makto

Reaction score
Because, like Dak, they also threw it fewer than 10 yards much more frequently.
But you didn't include them in your original list. And you didn't include their efficiency splits

Be consistent and transparent or don't be the stats guy.