2019 Houston Astros Thread

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astros have put together quite the stretch... 9 wins in a row. And against Oakland, NYY and Seattle. Not like beating up the Baltimores and Kansas Citys of the world.

kskboys

Reaction score
I don't think so. Springer 15 to 20 per. Correa 25 to 30 per if he can stay healthy.
What did Breg/Altuve get paid? Springer and Correa will take around the same.

Due to underperforming last season, Correa took a 1 year/5 mil contract for this season.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
What did Breg/Altuve get paid? Springer and Correa will take around the same.

Due to underperforming last season, Correa took a 1 year/5 mil contract for this season.

You have to use comps to similar players. A couple of OFers that are in Springer's range were paid 15 to 20 mil per, and they aren't close to him in the power department.

Now if Correa can stay healthy, use Bogaerts as a comp. I believe he got 25 mil per, and he ain't as good in any phase of the game as Correa.

kskboys

Reaction score
You have to use comps to similar players. A couple of OFers that are in Springer's range were paid 15 to 20 mil per, and they aren't close to him in the power department.

Now if Correa can stay healthy, use Bogaerts as a comp. I believe he got 25 mil per, and he ain't as good in any phase of the game as Correa.
That's how football works, but not so much in baseball.

Players take less in baseball all the time to stay w/ their team of choice, you just don't hear about it because it's not interesting news. Bregmann just extended for 6 years/100 million. That's a pittance to what he could've gotten on the open market.

However, he loves Houston, just as Correa and Springer do. Look for them to sign contracts in the 20mil/season range.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
That's how football works, but not so much in baseball.

Players take less in baseball all the time to stay w/ their team of choice, you just don't hear about it because it's not interesting news. Bregmann just extended for 6 years/100 million. That's a pittance to what he could've gotten on the open market.

However, he loves Houston, just as Correa and Springer do. Look for them to sign contracts in the 20mil/season range.

I hope you're right, but both have turned down extensions in the past.

DasTex

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
Boras...repeat with me...Boras

Correa is as good as gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both Springer and Correa gone after this year.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Astros rotation is a mess. Cole needs to find his groove. McHugh needs to be a reliever. His stuff just ain't good enough to be starting. Peacock is in the same boat. Miley has been a good #5, but I wonder how long that lasts.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
The Astro offense really clicking at this point.

May have an offense that's as good as the one in '17 and that's saying a lot!

Rookie Corbin Martin was solid in his first start. 2 ER, 3 hits, 9 Ks, and 1 walk in 5 innings.

Ranched

"We Are Penn State"
Reaction score
Both Dodgers & Astros are currently knotted up @ 28. That said, I'm going to toss out my WS prediction early in the season. (Sox won't repeat)

Houston & Los Angeles

I'm going with the National League Dodgers, winning the Fall Classic in 2019.

RodeoJake

Reaction score
Boras...repeat with me...Boras

Correa is as good as gone.

Wouldn't be surprised to see both Springer and Correa gone after this year.

I think they try to lock up Springer. Both would be great, but luxury tax will force them to choose one. Springer makes the team go. I wouldn't be surprised to see Correa traded for a nice return during the Hot Stove.

kskboys

Reaction score
The Astro offense really clicking at this point.

May have an offense that's as good as the one in '17 and that's saying a lot!

Rookie Corbin Martin was solid in his first start. 2 ER, 3 hits, 9 Ks, and 1 walk in 5 innings.
Brantley. He's the missing piece.

More than that, Martin showed some real stuff. Dude has wicked pitches. Barring some mental blowup/issues, Martin looks like the future. Reminds me of Kevin Brown.

kskboys

Reaction score
Both Dodgers & Astros are currently knotted up @ 28. That said, I'm going to toss out my WS prediction early in the season. (Sox won't repeat)

Houston & Los Angeles

I'm going with the National League Dodgers, winning the Fall Classic in 2019.
Gonna be tough to beat the Dodgers in the NL, I agree.

Red Sox just got a slow start, that's all. They are a complete team. It's between them and the Astros as to who is the most talented.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Josh James has turned his season around in terrific fashion...

*Josh James held the game down with 3IP, 0H/0ER, 2K:1BB. He's worked through his issues from earlier in the season. Since watching his ERA balloon to 7.90 after an April 26 outing against Cleveland, James: six appearances, 10IP, 3H/0ER, 14K:4BB. 0.00 ERA / 0.70 WHIP. Hinch described James' performance last night as "incredible."

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And if the Astros aren't loaded enough what Jordan Alvarez is doing in Triple AAA is mind-boggling...

(the below is taken from an article on Crawfishboxes.com https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/5/18/18629092/vlad-guerrwho-we-have-yordan-alvarez)

"This year, what Alvarez is doing is absolutely unheard of. His triple slash of .410/.497/.903 is mind blowing giving him a 1.400 OPS, and the 157 PA is not a small enough sample size to ignore.

From a pure power perspective, Yordan’s 17 Home Runs is a crazy pace. He’s hitting one essentially every other game! One every 7.88 AB - that’s a better pace than Barry Bond’s 73 home run season (1 every 9.09)!!

His wRC+ (a stat that rates players based on runs created and is adjusted to make 100 league average and takes ballparks into account) is a mind blowing 229.

That means he’s creating 2.29 runs for every run the average batter creates. The PCL is notoriously an offensive league (Alvarez has yet to hit in the easier ballparks to hit home runs in), but this stat that adjusts for that fact is saying he’s 129% better than your average player.

Now let’s add some context to this. Fangraphs has stats going back to 2006 for the PCL, and you can break it out per season. Alvarez’s 229 wRC+ is not just the best in the league today. It’s the best recorded wRC+ in PCL History since 2006! Repeating that, Yordan Alvarez is producing more than any player ever recorded in Fangraph’s history in the PCL.

But he isn’t narrowly edging out the competition. The next 5? 183, 177, 177, 175, 175. Meaning he’s 46% higher than even the second place person in the past 14 years!!!"

Cowboys_22

Reaction score
And if the Astros aren't loaded enough what Jordan Alvarez is doing in Triple AAA is mind-boggling...

(the below is taken from an article on Crawfishboxes.com https://www.crawfishboxes.com/2019/5/18/18629092/vlad-guerrwho-we-have-yordan-alvarez)

"This year, what Alvarez is doing is absolutely unheard of. His triple slash of .410/.497/.903 is mind blowing giving him a 1.400 OPS, and the 157 PA is not a small enough sample size to ignore.

From a pure power perspective, Yordan’s 17 Home Runs is a crazy pace. He’s hitting one essentially every other game! One every 7.88 AB - that’s a better pace than Barry Bond’s 73 home run season (1 every 9.09)!!

His wRC+ (a stat that rates players based on runs created and is adjusted to make 100 league average and takes ballparks into account) is a mind blowing 229.

That means he’s creating 2.29 runs for every run the average batter creates. The PCL is notoriously an offensive league (Alvarez has yet to hit in the easier ballparks to hit home runs in), but this stat that adjusts for that fact is saying he’s 129% better than your average player.

Now let’s add some context to this. Fangraphs has stats going back to 2006 for the PCL, and you can break it out per season. Alvarez’s 229 wRC+ is not just the best in the league today. It’s the best recorded wRC+ in PCL History since 2006! Repeating that, Yordan Alvarez is producing more than any player ever recorded in Fangraph’s history in the PCL.

But he isn’t narrowly edging out the competition. The next 5? 183, 177, 177, 175, 175. Meaning he’s 46% higher than even the second place person in the past 14 years!!!"

Sounds like Yordan needs to be promoted asap. The FO needs to make room for him but who needs to go? Good problem to have. Go Stros!

Vegas_Cowboy

Reaction score

He truly is a man among boys and has nothing left to prove in AAA. The Stros offense is going to be a runaway freight train when they call him up.and if they keep everyone healthy