2019 NFL Draft Chatter

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
ESPN NFL draft experts Mel Kiper Jr. and Todd McShay identify their picks for the top defensive backs in the country. And it's no surprise that LSU -- with its 16 interceptions tied for second in the nation -- is well represented.

They also choose 2019 prospects rising up draft boards and give their picks for under-the-radar prospects to keep an eye on, the College Football Playoff and CFB MVP.

College football's best defensive backs

i

Best lockdown corner: Greedy Williams, LSU
If I'm starting a college football team from scratch, Williams is one of my first picks. There's a reason he's my top-ranked cornerback in next year's draft. The third-year sophomore has a big 6-foot-3 frame and elite ball skills -- he has eight interceptions and 19 pass breakups in two seasons at LSU. Williams struggled a little bit a week ago against Alabama, but he doesn't have much bad tape. He has an extremely high ceiling and is a potential top-five pick.

Runner-up: Deandre Baker, Georgia. Baker isn't far off from Williams, and both could go in the top 10 next April.

Best slot corner: Byron Murphy, Washington

If Williams and Baker are my two outside corners in the nickel, I'm happy with Murphy playing the slot, though he can play on the boundary at the next level. He is a natural playmaker, and at 5-foot-11 he has enough size to play anywhere. The catch-up speed sticks out on tape, as he sticks to receivers down the field. Like Williams, Murphy is a third-year sophomore, so he could stay at Washington and play in 2020.

Runner-up: Julian Love, Notre Dame. I'm cheating a little bit here because Love is a really good press-man corner, but not many true slot corners have emerged in the 2019 class -- yet. Love is 5-foot-11, but he plays bigger. He has broken up 14 passes this season.

i

Best deep safety: Grant Delpit, LSU
No, he's not eligible for the NFL draft until 2020, but Delpit is the best deep safety in the country right now. The 6-foot-3, 203-pounder has great hands and makes an impact at all levels of the defense. In 10 games, the sophomore has five interceptions and six passes broken up. He also has 63 tackles, including 9.5 for a loss and five sacks.

It's worth noting Alabama third-year sophomore Deionte Thompson is my top-ranked safety for the 2019 draft class. He's a ball hawk and a complete defender who can do it all anywhere in the secondary.

Runner-up: Lukas Denis, Boston College. This 5-foot-11, 185-pound safety is undersized but very skilled and plays the game hard. Denis has smooth hips and quick feet. Rangy and quick twitched, he hauled in a pick-six earlier this season -- his ninth career interception -- and has 39 tackles for the Eagles. I especially like his instincts and the angles he takes to the ball.

i

Best in-the-box safety: Johnathan Abram, Mississippi State
Abram is a hard-hitting safety with outrageous tape. Even with less game experience than desired -- he wasn't even a full-time starter last season -- he flashes good football instincts and explosive closing burst. With an excellent size-speed combination at 6-foot, 215 pounds, Abram leads the Bulldogs with 77 tackles through 10 games this season.

Runner-up: Taylor Rapp, Washington. There isn't a tougher, more aggressive safety tandem in the country than Washington's Rapp and JoJo McIntosh. Rapp is a human scud missile, accumulating five TFL and four sacks through 10 games.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prospects on the rise
These are the NFL draft prospects moving up boards:

i

Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State
I really didn't know much about him going into the weekend, but I got to see him live at Bedlam, where he had 10 catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns. That performance came just two weeks after he rolled out 10 catches for 222 yards and a pair of scores in an upset of Texas. In fact, he has gone over 100 yards receiving in seven of 10 games this season, collecting nine touchdowns along the way. Wallace is a true sophomore and won't be draft-eligible until 2020, but his above-average speed pops. At just 6-foot and 185 pounds, he has average size, but he can still come down with the ball on contested targets and excels at adjusting to poorly thrown passes. I expect him to be a first- or second-day pick in 2020 as he continues the strong tradition of excellent Oklahoma State wide receivers. -- McShay

i

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
Oregon's Justin Herbert is the top quarterback in the 2019 class -- if he declares for the draft. No. 2? It's still up for grabs. I've been waiting all season for Jones to assert himself in the conversation, and he did it in Saturday's win over North Carolina, putting up 547 yards from scrimmage, with 361 passing and another 186 on the ground. The fourth-year junior showed off his athleticism in running the read-option to gash the Tar Heels, and he made some big-time throws. I love the way the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Jones maneuvers and buys time in the pocket -- he's ahead of his curve with his footwork. Now, the negatives about Jones in the past have been about his decision-making -- he has thrown 26 interceptions in his three seasons as a starter. He forces throws at times and is overly aggressive. Jones has been better at limiting those poor throws in 2018. He is also going to get a bump because he has learned from quarterback whisperer David Cutcliffe at Duke. This is an interesting class, as only Herbert has separated himself so far. Right now, I'm making Jones my No. 2 QB. -- Kiper

-

Almost famous under-the-radar prospects
Keep an eye on these potential Day 2 or Day 3 picks:

http://www.espn.com/college-footbal...d-oliver-challengers-mel-kiper-jr-todd-mcshay
i

Joe Lowery, OT, Ohio
NFL teams are always looking for swing tackles. They're valuable. And Lowery could be a guy teams target in the fourth or fifth round in April's draft as a perfect swing tackle to let develop. Lowery, a fifth-year senior, is durable and consistent, and he has a huge frame at 6-foot-6, 310 pounds. His pass-blocking was extremely impressive on Wednesday night against Miami (Ohio), as he showed a good kick-step and was alert on stunts and blitzes. Lowery is a solid Day 3 prospect. -- Kiper

i

Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota State
He isn't Carson Wentz, but this redshirt senior is smart and accurate with the ball. At 6-foot-1, 219 pounds, he is big and talented enough to get a shot in an NFL camp, even though he is unlikely to someday be an NFL starter. In 10 games, Stick has 19 passing touchdowns to only three interceptions, completing 58 percent of his passes along the way. But he also adds a threat on the ground, gaining 399 rushing yards this season and adding another 10 scores with his legs. -- McShay

cnuball21

Reaction score
This draft is absolutely loaded at DT, which continues to be a position of need for us.

We could seriously have a shot at a 1st round talent with our 2nd ick so get get the best DT on the board.

Beaker42

Reaction score
Prospects on the rise
These are the NFL draft prospects moving up boards:

i

Tylan Wallace, WR, Oklahoma State
I really didn't know much about him going into the weekend, but I got to see him live at Bedlam, where he had 10 catches for 220 yards and two touchdowns. That performance came just two weeks after he rolled out 10 catches for 222 yards and a pair of scores in an upset of Texas. In fact, he has gone over 100 yards receiving in seven of 10 games this season, collecting nine touchdowns along the way. Wallace is a true sophomore and won't be draft-eligible until 2020, but his above-average speed pops. At just 6-foot and 185 pounds, he has average size, but he can still come down with the ball on contested targets and excels at adjusting to poorly thrown passes. I expect him to be a first- or second-day pick in 2020 as he continues the strong tradition of excellent Oklahoma State wide receivers. -- McShay

i

Daniel Jones, QB, Duke
Oregon's Justin Herbert is the top quarterback in the 2019 class -- if he declares for the draft. No. 2? It's still up for grabs. I've been waiting all season for Jones to assert himself in the conversation, and he did it in Saturday's win over North Carolina, putting up 547 yards from scrimmage, with 361 passing and another 186 on the ground. The fourth-year junior showed off his athleticism in running the read-option to gash the Tar Heels, and he made some big-time throws. I love the way the 6-foot-4, 220-pound Jones maneuvers and buys time in the pocket -- he's ahead of his curve with his footwork. Now, the negatives about Jones in the past have been about his decision-making -- he has thrown 26 interceptions in his three seasons as a starter. He forces throws at times and is overly aggressive. Jones has been better at limiting those poor throws in 2018. He is also going to get a bump because he has learned from quarterback whisperer David Cutcliffe at Duke. This is an interesting class, as only Herbert has separated himself so far. Right now, I'm making Jones my No. 2 QB. -- Kiper

-

Almost famous under-the-radar prospects
Keep an eye on these potential Day 2 or Day 3 picks:

i

Joe Lowery, OT, Ohio
NFL teams are always looking for swing tackles. They're valuable. And Lowery could be a guy teams target in the fourth or fifth round in April's draft as a perfect swing tackle to let develop. Lowery, a fifth-year senior, is durable and consistent, and he has a huge frame at 6-foot-6, 310 pounds. His pass-blocking was extremely impressive on Wednesday night against Miami (Ohio), as he showed a good kick-step and was alert on stunts and blitzes. Lowery is a solid Day 3 prospect. -- Kiper

i

Easton Stick, QB, North Dakota State
He isn't Carson Wentz, but this redshirt senior is smart and accurate with the ball. At 6-foot-1, 219 pounds, he is big and talented enough to get a shot in an NFL camp, even though he is unlikely to someday be an NFL starter. In 10 games, Stick has 19 passing touchdowns to only three interceptions, completing 58 percent of his passes along the way. But he also adds a threat on the ground, gaining 399 rushing yards this season and adding another 10 scores with his legs. -- McShay
I really like Taylor Cornelius for QB.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Not doubting what you are saying but where did you see that?
I'm not the one that said that but I also saw it on Twitter and my associate who works for USC football told me they spoke to Iman and the defensive coordinator (Clancy Pendergast) about him as well.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Technically this would be 2020 draft chatter, but LSU safety Grant Delpit is going to be a superstar in the NFL.