2019 NFL Draft Chatter

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Best defensive linemen in the 2019 class
Kiper: Everyone knows about Bosa and Oliver in this class. They're at the top of both of our boards. Bosa is the best edge rusher in this class, and Oliver, who is getting comps to Aaron Donald, is the best interior rusher. Do you agree, Todd?

McShay: Yes, but Oliver is not an elite pass-rusher like Donald was coming out of Pitt. Remember that Donald put up 11-sack seasons twiceat Pitt -- Oliver hasn't done that. He has only 13.5 sacks in his career and is more of a menace as a penetrator against the run. Great player, and he's a nightmare to block one-on-one -- extremely disruptive and explosive -- but I think the No. 2 defensive line spot is wide open with a talented class.

Kiper: I agree with that. He's going to be compared to Donald until April, and it's really not fair. Oliver can be an impactful player even if he's not producing double-digit sacks every season. So who are the next-best defensive tackles in this class?

McShay: Michigan's Rashan Gary, who's already 283 pounds and could play inside or outside, combines size, athleticism, strength and burst. Great instincts and some versatility. He has dealt with a shoulder injury this season, but he returned versus Penn State, and it shouldn't cause him to slide much. Derrick Brown also brings some versatility and pop from the inside at Auburn. He is still developing his hand usage, but he can locate the ball and is just an easy mover at 6-foot-5, 325 pounds. But a guy I'm really liking a lot this season is Alabama's Quinnen Williams. His hand speed and quick first step jump out on tape. With four sacks and 12 TFL this season, Williams is outplaying his more highly touted teammates on that line.

Kiper: Williams had a monster game against LSU. And I'll add to your list Mississippi State's Jeffery Simmons, who has 9.5 tackles for loss and has been incredibly disruptive. He's a top-25 pick for me in a strong class. Where do the Clemson tackles fit in for you, Todd?

McShay: I like the Christian Wilkins-Dexter Lawrence duo a lot. I think Wilkins is the best collegiate-level defensive lineman in the group as a high-motor pass-rusher with top-end awareness. But Lawrence has more upside and looks a lot quicker and fluid this season than he did in his injury-riddled 2017 campaign. The Tigers' best pass-rusher is Clelin Ferrell off the edge, though. He doesn't have overly violent hands, but Ferrell brings a nice combination of size, speed and length to the defensive end position. Who do you like among edge guys, Mel?

Kiper: If you're talking about pure edge rushers after Bosa, I've got three: Kentucky's Josh Allen is putting up ridiculous numbers against SEC offensive tackles, with 10 sacks and five forced fumbles. He might be the best 3-4 rusher in this class. Then there's Mississippi State's Montez Sweat and Florida State's Brian Burns. Sweat, who has an outstanding takeoff at the snap, has 19.5 sacks over the past two seasons. The explosive Burns has really come on this season, putting up nine sacks. All should be first-round picks in 2019. Am I missing anybody, Todd?

McShay: Boston College's Zach Allen converts speed to power as a push-rusher, tallying 5.5 sacks so far this season. And keep an eye on Florida's Jachai Polite. He is slippery and shows great speed and instincts, notching seven sacks for the Gators through nine games. He's rising and has been under the radar for most of the season.

Kiper: Oh, you want a few under-the-radar guys for Day 2? How about Old Dominion's Oshane Ximines, whom I highlighted earlier this season. He's up to 8.5 sacks off the edge. Louisiana Tech's Jaylon Ferguson is in that area, too, as a pure hand-in-the-dirt defensive end who has 12.5 sacks already. I'm also a big fan of Auburn's Nick Coe, a third-year sophomore with a huge, 282-pound frame and high ceiling. He has seven sacks this season.

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Prospects on the rise
These are the 2019 NFL draft prospects moving up boards:

i

Oklahoma offensive linemen
This unit as a whole stands out to me. There are four starters here who will likely go in the next two drafts, and Sooners offensive line coach Bill Bedenbaugh really deserves a lot of credit for creating such a nasty culture at the line of scrimmage. Cody Ford is a classic finisher but will probably move from tackle to guard as a Day 2 prospect. Dru Samia might also see a position change. A right guard for Oklahoma, he best projects as a Day 3 center in the NFL, lacking lower-body mass but possessing good torque and upper-body strength. Left tackle Bobby Evans moves well but needs another year to get stronger, and center Creed Humphrey might end up being the best of the bunch when he becomes eligible for the 2020 draft. -- McShay

i

Quinnen Williams, DL, Alabama
Todd already mentioned Williams' ascent, and he's going to be right around the top five in my next Big Board. We always talk about edge rushers having great hands, but when I watch Williams work, I see elite hands to be able to stack and shed and disengage from blockers. He destroys double-teams and is also an effort player -- he led the Tide in tackles (10) in the rout of LSU. Williams is just a spectacular talent who's still finding his way. Remember that he's only a third-year sophomore who didn't play much in 2017. -- Kiper

Risen Star

Likes Collector
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Almost famous under-the-radar prospects
Keep an eye on these potential Day 2 or Day 3 picks:

i

Derick Roberson, DE, Sam Houston State
The transfer from Texas is really fun to watch, and he has risen from an undraftable grade all the way up to consideration for Day 2. After a five-sack 2017 season, Roberson already has 13.5 sacks and five forced fumbles this season, including five straight games with at least 1.5 sacks. He tore apart Incarnate Word on Saturday, with two sacks, a forced fumble, two pass breakups and six total tackles. Roberson is going to be an intriguing prospect when more scouts get a closer look at his 6-foot-4, 250-pound frame at all-star games in January. He has been no match for FCS offensive tackles. -- Kiper

i

Darrin Hall, RB, Pittsburgh
In Pitt's rain-soaked road win against Virginia, Hall ran for 229 yards and three touchdowns, his second multi-touchdown game of the season. The 5-foot-11, 225-pound senior runs high but is strong and lowers his shoulder on contact. Through nine games, he is averaging 7.4 yards per tote and has seven end-zone trips. Hall isn't an ankle-breaker, but he has OK feet and good speed for his size. He needs to get more involved in the passing game, though, as he has just nine catches all season. -- McShay

CalPolyTechnique

Reaction score
Syracuse_Orange_logo.svg

Rashuan Marmaduke, DE, Syracuse
The redshirt junior has really come on this year for the Orangemen, already registering 9 sacks and 14 TFL this season. The 6’5” 279 lbs came to Syracuse as a somewhat heralded 3-star recruit from 5A Arlington Lamar high school in 2015. Nicknamed the “dog catcher” by his teammates, Marmaduke is known for his post sack celebration dances.

JonJon

Injured Reserve
Reaction score
i

Kaden Smith, TE, Stanford
The third-year sophomore might be the best tight end prospect in the country. At 6-5, 252 pounds, he's a complete player. Smith made several nice catches in the Cardinal's win over USC -- four total for 77 yards -- consistently finding open zones and making plays down the field. I love his ability to sustain blocks in the run game, too -- that's what NFL teams are looking for in pro-ready tight ends. He was extremely impressive, and he's one to watch for Round 1 in April -- if he decides to enter the draft. -- Kiper
I'm liking the idea of Smith in the 2nd round.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
The whole thing was weird. If Applewhite wanted to set an example by not letting Oliver wear the jacket (for players playing tonight only) then he should stick by it. He seemed like he was trying to send a message to Oliver, but instead he made into an overblown incident.

Avery

The Dog that Saved Charleston
Reaction score
This is the deepest DL draft in history. If no QB comes out, I wouldn’t be shocked if the entire top ten are on defense.