2019 Potential FA QBs to Replace Dak

Denim Chicken

Reaction score
Foles is the only one on this list to even consider. Then again the 3 teams who knows him best is in our division.... pay Dak and stay 8 and 8 maxing out the cap.. take Foles for a decent amount nabbing a qb 1st rd year after next and keeping the team we have.

Foles is a product of a system when he plays well. He would be horrible here. The only realistic option is riding out 2019 and selling out the 2020 draft for a top prospect.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
And Dak will still be overthrowing and underthrowing receivers. A new OC isn’t going to do anything if Dak is the QB. You need an accurate passer beyond 10 yards to win a title in the NFL.

OK.

Again it doesn't matter.

Like it or lump it, Prescott will be the starter at the beginning of the 2019 season.

khiladi

Reaction score
I don’t think Jerry is dumb enough to extend Dak even if he has said it. Jerry will let 2019 play out. If Dak scrubs, I wouldn’t be surprised they start benching him during the season.

I’d be more worried about Zeke than Dak, particularly the beating he’s taking against stacked boxes and how RB careers are that short.

That being said the way Romo was done by Garrett, the only person I believe is untouchable in this organization, sad to say, is Jason Garrett.

DIAF

DivaLover159
Reaction score
Dak isn't going to be replaced while he has one year left on his deal. The only guy from that list that I think will be definitely better than Dak is Teddy B, and he's going to get a bunch of money from someone to start.

Who will be a FA in 2020 is a much better discussion, as that would be more realistic.

Kevinicus

Reaction score
Granted, the Cowboys organization loves Dak for some reason, so this discussion might be all-for-naught. But contrary to what the "we can't get anyone better than Dak right now" crowd says, there might be a few options, if the Cowboys wanted to explore them.

Here's a list of potential free agent QBs this offseason:

> Teddy Bridgewater -- catastrophic injury is completely behind him now, and he's only 26. Showed flashes in the 2018 preseason. There will probably be a big market for him.
If the price was right, sure. Has potential, but not a sure thing.
> Nick Foles -- Slated to make $20 million next year, so the Eagles will have to let him go.
Not at $20 million (or close to it). He'd be an expensive stop gap.
> Joe Flacco -- Looks pretty evident that the Ravens are ready to hand the reigns to Jackson. Doubt they'll keep Flacco as their backup
No thanks.
> Jameis Winston -- Pretty much a headcase, but he's 25 and would come relatively cheap.
Lots of talent, short on brains (and morals). No thanks.
> Derek Carr -- was playing at an MVP level 2 years ago before getting hurt. Gruden is cleaning house, so may Carr may be purged also.
I don't think the Raiders would give him up. The cost would be too high. Besides, he's gone 9 games in a row without an INT and is improving in Gruden's system. If you could get him (we don't have the resources), then sure.
> Ryan Tannehill -- He'll probably be retained by the Dolphins since they Osweiler is their only other legit QB with experience. But Tannehill has proven he can't lead the Dolphins anywhere, so they may cut bait.
Agree he's likely kept by Miami. I'd take him over Dak, but he's also a guy I wouldn't give a lot of money to. If it's a reasonable price (less than his current deal), then sure.
> Josh McCown -- old but reliable. Would he be a good stop gap?
Way too old, but if he's really cheap, sure. But I don't think he'd really be better than Dak, and Dak is cheaper.
> Brock Osweiler -- has played better with the Dolphins than he did with the Texans or Browns. And he's still only 28.
See above (except the age part).
> Tyrod Taylor -- he's a good leader and has had moderate levels of success. And he's only 29.
This is essentially Dak. If it's a cheaper stop-gap alternative to a huge contract for Dak, sure.
> Ryan Fitzpatrick -- Fitzmagic in Big D for a year or two?
Not for the money he'll want/get.

Who would you be intrigued by? I'd take 4-5 of these guys over Dak right now.

My comments in bold. The team is unfortunately resource strapped right now, and there aren't going to be a lot of great guys who are free (rarely ever are). Best bet is to hope Mike White turns into something, or aim for making a move in 2020. The key is to not give Dak a big contract (which they probably will - Stupid is as stupid does).

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Granted, the Cowboys organization loves Dak for some reason, so this discussion might be all-for-naught. But contrary to what the "we can't get anyone better than Dak right now" crowd says, there might be a few options, if the Cowboys wanted to explore them.

> Teddy Bridgewater -- catastrophic injury is completely behind him now, and he's only 26. Showed flashes in the 2018 preseason. There will probably be a big market for him.

> Nick Foles -- Slated to make $20 million next year, so the Eagles will have to let him go.

> Joe Flacco -- Looks pretty evident that the Ravens are ready to hand the reigns to Jackson. Doubt they'll keep Flacco as their backup

> Jameis Winston -- Pretty much a headcase, but he's 25 and would come relatively cheap.

> Derek Carr -- was playing at an MVP level 2 years ago before getting hurt. Gruden is cleaning house, so may Carr may be purged also.

> Ryan Tannehill -- He'll probably be retained by the Dolphins since they Osweiler is their only other legit QB with experience. But Tannehill has proven he can't lead the Dolphins anywhere, so they may cut bait.

> Brock Osweiler -- has played better with the Dolphins than he did with the Texans or Browns. And he's still only 28.

> Tyrod Taylor -- he's a good leader and has had moderate levels of success. And he's only 29.

I’d keep Dak around another year on his rookie deal and draft one.

Donut

Reaction score
Only way to get a good deal is draft or have one coached up on the roster (oh forget that) gotta draft one.

rags747

Reaction score
On that list Bridgwater and Carr are clearly better than Dak. Oh btw, NFL Network crapping all over Dak right now.

Pantone282C

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

The only one I would want is Carr. He was rockin' the Raiders for a while - not sure what happened to him.

Reaction score
Jerry is committed to Dak. There is no point in discussing alternatives.

A much better thread would be who can be brought in to replace Linehan and hopefully, Garrett.

Zman5

Reaction score
We need to replace the offense before we do anything. Unless you can get someone as good as Romo, the offense is going to suck regardless.

4lifecowboy

Reaction score
Why isn't Brissett's name brought up when considering cheap replacements? He has a higher ceiling than most of those names listed IMO.

cowboy_ron

You Can't Fix Stupid
Reaction score
Wasted thread...

Because no matter if you like or dislike Prescott, they will not bring in a high-priced QB to provide competion.

Simply will not happen.

Quite honestly I don't view most of the FA QB's as upgrades... But that's beside the point.

What probably will happen is that Dak will be working with a new OC... That is realistic.
I 100% agree.