2020 NCAA Football Thread

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score
The best THREE players I knew coming out of Texas all went to Miami.
Kevin Williams of Roosevelt who I camped with at OSU --he jumped over cars the LONG way... insane. College kid at that camp marvelled at his.
He was playing QB at 5'9" but was an insane athlete.
Jessie Armstead of Carter who was easily the best player I saw on the HS level. 6'3" 215 and running a legit 4.5.
Carl Jr, CJ Richardson who was our starting FS and RB. Went to Miami over Nebraska after MIA agreed to let him play both football and baseball. Was drafted in baseball and ended up playing in the NFL for his former coach, Erickson.

Miami pulled THAT much talent out of Texas when Jimmy (and his disciples) were winning titles.

Now those kids go to OSU or Bama.
Man, the recruiting staff for Miami must have retired or poached or something. That is crazy to hear. Even as a younger football fan I remember hearing about both the history and the infamy of DA U, specifically because they could get those big recruits and supplement it with local kids. Now they can't even get FL kids. I wonder what happened? The recruiting staff probably fritted away and the appeal of the school was overtaken by swagger more than winning.
The expansion of the SEC and the drawing power of some of the other Florida schools probably hurt them bad too.
Perhaps some coaches can come and play savior and have another resurgence like in the early 2000s.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Man, the recruiting staff for Miami must have retired or poached or something. That is crazy to hear. Even as a younger football fan I remember hearing about both the history and the infamy of DA U, specifically because they could get those big recruits and supplement it with local kids. Now they can't even get FL kids. I wonder what happened? The recruiting staff probably fritted away and the appeal of the school was overtaken by swagger more than winning.
The expansion of the SEC and the drawing power of some of the other Florida schools probably hurt them bad too.
Perhaps some coaches can come and play savior and have another resurgence like in the early 2000s.
Pretty easy to lure kids to a visit where there's a beautiful beach then you had Miami boosters paying guys and taking them out and spending serious cash at strip clubs.
But like anything they move the coaches around and run off the cash happy boosters and the success tails off big time.

DFWJC

Reaction score
They aren't horrible, just not anywhere near what they once were.

Other than USC, there really aren't many big-city private universities in Pro Sports towns that have great (as in national title-contending) success in football. Even USC has been down, but I assume that's temporary.

Miami was always an exception. Great coaches and the beaches helped.

But, generally, the large programs in college towns (Tuscaloosa, Athens, Clemson, Eugene, Norman, Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, etc) with amazing facilities right on campus and no ghetto right around the corner are usually more appealing.

CorpusChristiCowboy

Reaction score

Other than USC, there really aren't many big-city private universities in Pro Sports towns that have great (as in national title-contending) success in football. Even USC has been down, but I assume that's temporary.

Miami was always an exception.

But, generally, the large programs in college towns (Tuscaloosa, Athens, Clemson, Eugene, Norman, Happy Valley, Ann Arbor, etc) with amazing facilities right on campus and no ghetto right around the corner are usually more appealing.
Miami has been putrid to good for CFB standards the last decade or so.
And I agree, Columbus might be another exception as well. Washington for Seattle?
You would think big cities would be good for recruiting. Vandy could market Nashville, but it doesn't seem to work.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score

Miami was always an exception. Great coaches and the beaches helped.

It's always money.
I've seen every school on that list be terrible for stretches.
But they spend enough to get the very best coaches and spend enough on facilities and yes, can win.

Michigan, Texas, Notre Dame, Alabama, Oklahoma, Ohio State are the only schools with both 900 wins and a winning percentage above 70.
Those are the historical powers (and all insanely well-monied) with USC falling off enough recently to just miss the cut.
Oregon has joined the powers because Nike funneled a gazillion dollars to the program.
OkST was made relevant by a massive influx of cash as well.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Miami has been putrid to good for CFB standards the last decade or so.
And I agree Columbus might be another exception as well. Washington for Seattle?
You would think big cities would be good for recruiting. Vandy could market Nashville, but it doesn't seem to work.
Yeah. Washington is one too. Good one.
UW is not private, but it is in an NFL city.

I consider Columbus to be a lot like Austin. A large state capital with giant public schools, but not you're classic large urban, NFL/NBA city.
Jmo

In the end, what jt said is true....follow the money.

Last edited:

DFWJC

Reaction score
I was curious about what the main colleges were in each NFL city....and it has to be in the actual city.

Here we go...although I'm not keen on name "P-5", I'll bold the P5 schools anyway :).
Not many...64 schools, just a few P5s.

1. Arizona....UA-Phoenix (not main campus), Grand Canyon U
  2. Atlanta....Georgia Tech, Emory U
  3. Baltimore....Maryland-Baltimore, Johns Hopkins
  4. Buffalo....U of Buffalo, Canisius U
  5. Carolina....UNC-Charlotte, Queens U
  6. Cincinatti....Cincinatti, Xavier
  7. Chicago....Northwestern, U of Chicago
  8. Cleveland...Cleveland St, Case Western
  9. Dallas....SMU, UT-Dallas (could add TCU but it's 30 miles away in Ft Worth)
  10. Denver....U of Denver, Colorado-Denver
  11. Detroit....U of Detroit, Wayne St
  12. Green Bay.....UW-Green Bay
  13. Houston....U of Houston, Rice
  14. Indianapolis....Butler, U of Indianapolis
  15. Kansas City...Missouri-Kansas City, Rockhurst U
  16. Las Vegas....UNLV,
  17. Los Angeles...USC, Occidental College
  18. Los Angeles....UCLA, Loyola Marymount
  19. Jacksonville....U of Jacksonville, U of North Florida
  20. Miami...Miami, Florida International
  21. Minnesota...Minnesota, Augsburg U
  22. New England....Wheaton College...(if we use Boston, then U of Boston and BC)
  23. New Orleans...Tulane, U of New Orleans
  24. New York...NYU, St John's,
  25. New York....Columbia, Pace U
  26. Philadelphia....Temple, Penn
  27. San Francisco...San Francisco St, U of San Francisco
  28. Seattle...Washington, U of Seattle
  29. Pittsburgh...Pittsburgh, Duquesne U
  30. Tampa Bay...U of South Florida, U of Tampa
  31. Tennesse....Vanderbilt, Belmont U
  32. Washington...Georgetown, George Washington

coogrfan

Reaction score
My reading comprehension skills are just fine. When you wrote "D'eriq King is a Texas kid that was handled easily by really bad Texas Tech defenses when at HOU. The fact MIA thought he was some QB saviour tells the story there." you weren't talking about King the slot receiver. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

You claimed TT handled King "easily". I posted the numbers that proved your claim was nonsense. You then attempted to move the goal posts by stating "King passed for a ton of yards in a game HOU lost handily". Not surprisingly you neglected to mention the reason King lost a game in which he was responsible for 49 points, namely the fact that his defense allowed 63.

Did King had a rough night against Clemson? Absolutely, but the main reason they lost was because they got worked at the LoS on both sides of the ball. If you can't see that King is a huge upgrade over anyone the Canes have had under center in the last decade, I can't help you.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
My reading comprehension skills are just fine. When you wrote "D'eriq King is a Texas kid that was handled easily by really bad Texas Tech defenses when at HOU. The fact MIA thought he was some QB saviour tells the story there." you weren't talking about King the slot receiver. To pretend otherwise is disingenuous.

You claimed TT handled King "easily". I posted the numbers that proved your claim was nonsense. You then attempted to move the goal posts by stating "King passed for a ton of yards in a game HOU lost handily". Not surprisingly you neglected to mention the reason King lost a game in which he was responsible for 49 points, namely the fact that his defense allowed 63.

Did King had a rough night against Clemson? Absolutely, but the main reason they lost was because they got worked at the LoS on both sides of the ball. If you can't see that King is a huge upgrade over anyone the Canes have had under center in the last decade, I can't help you.
Not sure you follow basic logic but losing by 2 touchdowns is handled.
That Tech team won 5 games and had the worst pass defense in the P5. The WORST. Completing 60% of your passes for 450 yards was a pretty trash day against them. Tech passed for 600 yards.

King was a limited but solid collegiate QB. Nothing more.
MIA being super excited about him was always an indication they couldn't identify and recruit QBs and that they weren't "back".

But hey I can appreciate the loyalty it takes to defend a guy who quit on you. Good job, good effort.

coogrfan

Reaction score
Not sure you follow basic logic but losing by 2 touchdowns is handled.
That Tech team won 5 games and had the worst pass defense in the P5. The WORST. Completing 60% of your passes for 450 yards was a pretty trash day against them. Tech passed for 600 yards.

You didn't say "TT handled UH", you said "TT handled King". That is demonstrably false. Your attempt to move the goal posts confirms this.

MIrWLn7.png

DFWJC

Reaction score
I know Ga Tech is only 2-2 this year but man.....Clemson
:laugh:

Lawrence's stats will be cut way back this year as he keeps getting pulled not long after halftime.
5 TD passes in the first half.

I give Dabo some credit. He has completely called the dogs off very early in games the last few years....almost ordering his backups not score in the 4th qtr.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Last night

• SMU went to 5-0, but barely beat Tulane......still, not bad
  • #14 BYU beat Houston

Some games in progress
  • Kentucky is thumping overrated #17 Tennessee 34-7 early in the 4th
  • a decent S Carolina team leads #15 Auburn 20-19 late in the 3rd.
  • #13 Miami leads Pitt 28-19 early in he 4th
  • 4-0 Liberty leads Syracuse 35-14.
  • Navy leads ECU 27-20....hehe

Later today and tonight
  • The BIG game---#2 Alabama vs #3 Georgia
  • #4 Notre Dame hosts Lousiville
  • #5 North Carolina at Florida St
  • #11 Texas AM at Miss State
  • #23 Va Tech vs BC

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
You didn't say "TT handled UH", you said "TT handled King". That is demonstrably false. Your attempt to move the goal posts confirms this.

MIrWLn7.png
ROFL, dude are you still posting?
King completed 51.6% of his passes yesterday with 2 INT.
That's the player I was referring to. A solid but limited QB that won't beat good teams.

Did D'eriq King ever beat Texas Tech?
If not respectfully ****.

SacredStar

Reaction score
Big 10 changed their minds quickly lol
I watched the Wisconsin/Illinois game last night. Good to see the B1G back on. Wisconsin started a freshman at QB. The kid went 20/21 for 250 yards and 5 td's. His only miss was a dropped pass that should have been caught. Wisconsin is known for running backs, but it appears they have a legitimate QB for 1st time since Russell Wilson was there.

JayFord

Reaction score
today's games have been awful its blow out after blow out after blow out

DFWJC

Reaction score
A few Full and partial scores from "week 8" so far

#1 Clemson 47, Syracuse 21 (Final)
#2 Alabama 48, Tennessee 17 (Final)
#3 Notre Dame 45, Pitt 3 (Final)
#5 Ohio St 52, Nebraska 17 (Final)
#6 Oklahoma St 24, #17 Iowa St 21 (4th)
#8 Penn St 28, Indiana 20 (4th)
#14 North Carolina 48, #23 NC State 21 (Final)
#15 Wisconsin 45, Illinois 7 (Final)
#19 Va Tech 14, Wake Forest 20 (Final)
#20 Kansas St 55, Kansas 14 (Final)
#22 Marshall 20, Florida Atl 9 (Final)
#25 Coastal Carolina 28,, Ga Souther 14 (Final)

Some others
Houston 37, Navy 21 (final)
Texas Tech 20, WVU 13 (half)
Oklahoma 33, TCU 14 (Final)
Texas 27, Baylor 14 (Final)

Later tonight

#9 Cincy at #16 SMU
#11 Miami vs Virginia
#12 BYU vs Texas St
#18 Michigan vs #21 Minnesota

JayFord

Reaction score
Lsu defense has been horrid this season i mean dreadful and theyve come out with a nasty attitude and are swarming to the ball after giving up that long td

thats kinda how I need Dallas to come out Sunday

swarming to the ball is something thats taught from youth you dont need an offseason to figure it out