2021: Cowboys had the number 1 offense in the league

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
2 Words are enough for this one..........

red-zone-swag.gif
Thank u. Yes..failed to convert from the two. Simple play. We had the right formation. The right call. Two idiot TEs couldn't make a simple block.

So are expectations that every RedZone score is a passing TD?

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
Yeah, a kicker can ruin your day. I don't know if you're old enough to remember the 1993 Thanksgiving game against the Dolphins. When Leon Lett us all down. But prior to that drive I think we missed a FG to put us up by 5. It matters.

I just don't put any stock in week 1 games. Anyone can win week 1. Anything can happen in week 1. What you see in week 1 is not indicative of anything. We could beat the Bucs 35-0 in week 1, proceed to go 4-13 while they go on to win the Super Bowl. Week 1 is pretty much a preseason game that counts.
I don't disagree. But you went from analysis of what transpired in a game to a season review. The facts about that game still stand. Even if we would have gone 1-16

Flamma

Reaction score
I don't disagree. But you went from analysis of what transpired in a game to a season review. The facts about that game still stand. Even if we would have gone 1-16

Yes. I completely agree. I didn't mean to argue your point as a stand alone game. It was spot on. I get caught up in the season review because so many people use that week 1 game as an example of our offense doing well against a good team. Even though that wasn't the point, I can't help myself.

McKDaddy

Reaction score
Just another example of why stats without context are useless. Actually worse than useless because they can be so misleading as to drive incorrect responses.

Creeper

Reaction score
Nice info.
The 2 penalty machines are no longer on the team, so hopefully that improves.

Not exactly. Over the last 4 years Williams averaged about .47 penalties per game. Collins averaged about .44 per game. Tyron Smith averaged .64 penalties per game! Tyron had 25 penalties in 39 games in 4 years.

Tyron has actually been pretty consistent in his penalty totals. Williams had a fluke year accumulating 12 penalties in 2021 and only 15 in the previous 3 years.

Collins had only 3 penalties in 2019 (he did not play in 2020) but 8 in 2021. But he had 8 penalties in 2018.

In terms of holding calls, 19 of Williams' 27 penalties were holding calls. Collins had 9 holding calls of 19 penalties. Tyron had 18 holding calls in 25 penalties and Biadasz had only 3 holding calls in 11 penalties.

One other point, for those who think Collins was unreliable, he played in 43 games over the last 4 years. Tyron has played in only 39.

Of course penalty stats are not as solid as other stats because they are the result of the refs' judgement. We have all seen penalties awards that were questionable, and penalties not called when they were pretty obvious. Still we have to assume these even out of the most part. The exception may be Connor Williams. I do think the refs were picking on him in 2021.

willia451

Reaction score
Doesn't surprise me. Over the last 20 years or so the Cowboys have tended to be reasonably competitive during the regular season. And I really do believe it's that way by design. The Cowboys are always looking to be competitive in the regular season each and every season. To always be in a position to have a good regular season. And if they do make the playoffs then see what happens with what they have.

Problem is. When they get to the playoffs if they get in, they run into teams that have been building to try to win it all. And that turns out just about the way you would expect it would.

TheHerd

Reaction score
Thank u. Yes..failed to convert from the two. Simple play. We had the right formation. The right call. Two idiot TEs couldn't make a simple block.

So are expectations that every RedZone score is a passing TD?
When you make play calls, you have to take into account the personnel. Our TEs proved, throughout the year, they were incapable of blocking. So to call a play which relies on the TEs to make a critical block for the success of the play is wishful thinking at best.

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score
Not exactly. Over the last 4 years Williams averaged about .47 penalties per game. Collins averaged about .44 per game. Tyron Smith averaged .64 penalties per game! Tyron had 25 penalties in 39 games in 4 years.

Tyron has actually been pretty consistent in his penalty totals. Williams had a fluke year accumulating 12 penalties in 2021 and only 15 in the previous 3 years.

Collins had only 3 penalties in 2019 (he did not play in 2020) but 8 in 2021. But he had 8 penalties in 2018.

In terms of holding calls, 19 of Williams' 27 penalties were holding calls. Collins had 9 holding calls of 19 penalties. Tyron had 18 holding calls in 25 penalties and Biadasz had only 3 holding calls in 11 penalties.

One other point, for those who think Collins was unreliable, he played in 43 games over the last 4 years. Tyron has played in only 39.

Of course penalty stats are not as solid as other stats because they are the result of the refs' judgement. We have all seen penalties awards that were questionable, and penalties not called when they were pretty obvious. Still we have to assume these even out of the most part. The exception may be Connor Williams. I do think the refs were picking on him in 2021.
Good insights and info thanks for posting!
We should have kept Collins and put him at left guard.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo:angry:
It's the FG kicker or the Defense, the offline.....Zeke.....Coaching.....NEVER DAK!!!!!:muttley:
What pisses me off is Dak doesn't accept any of the blame. After that SF loss he should of been saying he needs to get rid of the ball quicker and stop hesitating because of sticky coverage. He should of said it's my fault for not going through my reads quick enough. It's my fault I ran with the ball and didn't allow enough time for another play. He only says we have to get better. That's BS! He has to get better!

CowboysFaninHouston

CowboysFaninDC
Reaction score
When you make play calls, you have to take into account the personnel. Our TEs proved, throughout the year, they were incapable of blocking. So to call a play which relies on the TEs to make a critical block for the success of the play is wishful thinking at best.
That's on OC and coach ....OC is very inexperienced...we have learned rhat

conner01

Reaction score
    • 1st in points scored
    • 1st in yards gained
    • 2nd in passing yards
    • 3rd in passing TDs
    • Tied for 7th lowest in INTs
    • 4th in passing 1st downs
Negatives ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • They led the league in offensive penalties.
    • La'el was very close to Connor Williams in penalties/snap.
    • Penalties Per 100 Snaps
      • La'el Collins: 1.3
      • Connor Williams: 1.4
  • Playoff Game
    • Differential: (Cowboys - 49ers)
      • Passing Yards: 58
      • Rushing Yards: -92
      • Passing TDs: 1
      • Rushing TDs: -2
      • Turnovers: Even
      • Sacks Allowed: -5
They sucked
I read it right here so it must be true

Hadenough

Reaction score
    • 1st in points scored
    • 1st in yards gained
    • 2nd in passing yards
    • 3rd in passing TDs
    • Tied for 7th lowest in INTs
    • 4th in passing 1st downs
Negatives ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • They led the league in offensive penalties.
    • La'el was very close to Connor Williams in penalties/snap.
    • Penalties Per 100 Snaps
      • La'el Collins: 1.3
      • Connor Williams: 1.4
  • Playoff Game
    • Differential: (Cowboys - 49ers)
      • Passing Yards: 58
      • Rushing Yards: -92
      • Passing TDs: 1
      • Rushing TDs: -2
      • Turnovers: Even
      • Sacks Allowed: -5
Best way to describe this offense is all show and no go.

acr731

Jerry learned to GM from Pee Wee Herman
Reaction score
What pisses me off is Dak doesn't accept any of the blame. After that SF loss he should of been saying he needs to get rid of the ball quicker and stop hesitating because of sticky coverage. He should of said it's my fault for not going through my reads quick enough. It's my fault I ran with the ball and didn't allow enough time for another play. He only says we have to get better. That's BS! He has to get better!

Good old Dak...... instead of accepting blame (like any good leader would do) he jumped on the 'blame the ref's' bandwagon.

Real responsible QB this team has.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

However, when you miss an entire season (maybe at least partly because you let yourself get wildly out of shape) and the beginning of the next season because you tried to bribe your way out of failed drug tests, it's not unfair for people to call you unreliable.

I don't think anyone is using Tyron as the standard for availability.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I don't even know what this thread is about. The Cowboys were not the best offense in the league. Not even close. Not every team got to play multiple times against teams that played backups. Dallas racked up a ton of yards and around 100 points on those throw away games. Completely useless stats.

fair to say they were not the best but they were far from the worse as many here seem to act like. I agree vs top teams this team needs to learn how to play aggressive football instead of playing not to lose. But no offense is putting up yards and points as the Cowboys did vs many of the same teams the rest of the NFL plays or as you say throw away games. GB is playing in a worse division as ours yet that is never mentioned. I think it is fair to say we are not the best but we are one of the top offense in the league.

Flamma

Reaction score
fair to say they were not the best but they were far from the worse as many here seem to act like. I agree vs top teams this team needs to learn how to play aggressive football instead of playing not to lose. But no offense is putting up yards and points as the Cowboys did vs many of the same teams the rest of the NFL plays or as you say throw away games. GB is playing in a worse division as ours yet that is never mentioned. I think it is fair to say we are not the best but we are one of the top offense in the league.

I only mentioned throw away games because two of them were. One against Washington where everyone was out due to covid. The other against the Eagles where they weren't playing their starters. They didn't have to.

I agree completely that we are a good offense. For the life of me I can't understand how we can pound teams into the dirt, it's like a party atmosphere. But it doesn't translate well against the better teams. We're clearly head and shoulders better than bad teams. But we look like a bad team up against the better teams. Just once, even if we lose the game, jump out in front of a good team and make them catch up to us. I'd love to see that.

I don't know if it has anything to do with Kellen Moore. But this pattern we see started in 2019.

This year I think both the NFC South and NFC North are worse divisions than the NFC East.

Doomsday101

Reaction score
I only mentioned throw away games because two of them were. One against Washington where everyone was out due to covid. The other against the Eagles where they weren't playing their starters. They didn't have to.

I agree completely that we are a good offense. For the life of me I can't understand how we can pound teams into the dirt, it's like a party atmosphere. But it doesn't translate well against the better teams. We're clearly head and shoulders better than bad teams. But we look like a bad team up against the better teams. Just once, even if we lose the game, jump out in front of a good team and make them catch up to us. I'd love to see that.

I don't know if it has anything to do with Kellen Moore. But this pattern we see started in 2019.

This year I think both the NFC South and NFC North are worse divisions than the NFC East.

Personally I think it is more mental than physical, I think this team plays tight vs top teams trying to avoid mistakes which normally leads to more mistakes not fewer. Learning how to win vs top competition I think is key to this team being able to advance.

fivetwos

Reaction score
The hideously bad NFCE allows plenty of people in Dallas to look like they are doing a better job than they actually are.

This is a time when we should be riding that to high seeds and deep playoff runs.

Instead it's clinging to mediocrity with all their effort.