2022 FIFA World Cup

triplets_93

Reaction score
DOHA, Qatar (AP) — Hundreds of soccer fans in Qatar struggled to retrieve their digital World Cup tickets on Tuesday, as problems with FIFA’s mobile application stoked confusion and frustration at the tournament for a second day in a row.

A line of distressed fans snaked outside the main ticketing help desk in Doha, with many reporting that their tickets had abruptly disappeared from their phones and could not be retrieved— a glitch that caused hundreds to miss the start of England’s match against Iran on Monday.

https://apnews.com/article/world-cup-iran-technology-sports-soccer-bc4555bf41360cbc56c4be33386ab0fe

Who designed this app, Ticketmaster ? ? ? :eek:

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
What the hell happened to Italy? I know they crapped the bed in 2014, but since then? Isn't it sacrilege for Itali to not be contenders in the WC, let alone not be involved?
Italy has been in awful form outside of the Euros which they bossed.
Very strange for an elite football nation to be sure.

Flamma

Reaction score
I think alcohol is being barred (no pun intended) because it's illegal in Qatar.

I learned a little more about this. Budweiser is a big FIFA sponsor. Qatar knew long ago they weren't going to allow alcohol but waited until the last minute so that it could not be moved. They're going to be owing FIFA a ton of money due to contracts, but I don't think they care.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I learned a little more about this. Budweiser is a big FIFA sponsor. Qatar knew long ago they weren't going to allow alcohol but waited until the last minute so that it could not be moved. They're going to be owing FIFA a ton of money due to contracts, but I don't think they care.

With all the oil money that they have, it'll be a drop in the bucket for them.

Flamma

Reaction score
With all the oil money that they have, it'll be a drop in the bucket for them.

Of course. But if the alcohol sponsors are important enough to FIFA, they're going to think twice before having another WC at a similar minded nation. Qatar didn't do their region any favors.

joseephuss

Reaction score
It always amazes me when huge keepers such as Neuer turn their bodies making themselves smaller instead of spreading out to take up as much space as possible. Probably wouldn't have made a difference because that was a heck of a finish by Asano. Power and precision. Germany will have to bounce back strong and get a win against Spain next match especially if Spain win today.

Miller

ARTIST FORMERLY KNOWN AS TEXASFROG
Reaction score
I will say this is one of the first World Cups in a bit where I’m really involved. My son plays club soccer and all his friends watch EPL. We do too! A few weeks back we took a boys trip to London ti watch Chelsea v Arsenal. We were head to toe in Chelsea gear despite his favorite team being Man City and player Haaland. It was an incredible experience! We just spend way too much on kits for him including a Messi when we were in Barcelona and his Argentina WC one snd about 5 other ones from various clubs.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Wow another upset - Japan 2-1 over Germany...

Just goes to show you good things happen to teams that work hard.
With the FIFA World Cup starting next week, I think it's time to have a thread for our thoughts leading up to it and to discuss things during the matches. Of course, I'm going for England and the US. Here is my bracket for who I think advances to the Group 16:

Group A: Netherlands and Senegal (other nations in the group are Qatar and Ecuador) - nearly switched Senegal for Ecuador, but I feel confident about Senegal advancing and Mane is a world class- enough player to get them through.

Group B: England and USA (Other nations are Iran and Wales) - pretty easy this on paper. I don't think Iran advance, and Gareth Bale hasn't played a full match in a while, and he's Wales's best player, though Kieffer Moore is a good striker too (I'm a Bournemouth supporter haha).

Group C: Argentina and Mexico (other nations: Saudi Arabia and Poland) - pretty easy this too on paper.

Group D: France and Australia (other nations are Denmark and Tunisia) - France is winning this group. No question, they're the class of this group. Second place is tricky. I nearly put Denmark in because of Christian Erickson, but I think Australia are a consistent enough squad that they will finish second.

Group E (Group of Death): Germany and Japan (other nations Spain and Costa Rica) - providing an explanation here. Germany is the class of the group imo. I think they have one of the most complete teams this year. I have Japan going second because they always are sneaky good in WC play. They don't normally advance beyond the Quarter Finals, but you can usually count on them to finish 2nd and be in the Group 16.

Group F: Belgium and Croatia (other nations being Canada and Morocco) - Canada has done well to get to the WC, but I think Belgium and Croatia are better and advance.

I think the Semifinals will be Brazil, France, Germany, and Argentina with the Final being France and Germany. I think the result will be Germany 1-0.

How about for you all. Who do you think is winning the WC? Who are you cheerin
g for? Who do you think is advancing from the groups?

Good call on Japan. But you have Germany and Spain confused.

Flamma

Reaction score
Wow, Japan really turned that game around in the 2nd half. Germany outplayed them in the first half. Threatened to take a bigger lead on numerous occasions. Japan came out strong in the 2nd half. A great win.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Spain isn't likely to find 7 goals the remainder of the tournament. Looked good today and put themselves in a good spot to advance. Now have to face a desperate Germany who will need a win for any hope while Spain can accept a tie.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spain isn't likely to find 7 goals the remainder of the tournament. Looked good today and put themselves in a good spot to advance. Now have to face a desperate Germany who will need a win for any hope while Spain can accept a tie.

What team is likely to "find" 7 goals the rest of the tourney?

Spain, England, and France are the class of this tournament. One of them will win.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
Wow, Japan really turned that game around in the 2nd half. Germany outplayed them in the first half. Threatened to take a bigger lead on numerous occasions. Japan came out strong in the 2nd half. A great win.
When you're "out gunned" you only hope is to out work the other team - run for 90 minutes and apply pressure.

The Fonz

Correctamundo
Reaction score
Argentina and Germany both losing now that is a surprise... I am sure both they will bounce back
Now cheering for our friends in Canada Hope they can make some noise .... Belgium is a good team