2022 FIFA World Cup

joseephuss

Reaction score
What team is likely to "find" 7 goals the rest of the tourney?

Spain, England, and France are the class of this tournament. One of them will win.

None likely, but Spain rarely score 7 total in any major tournament.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
You have to finish off penalty kicks if you want to get an upset. Made it easy for the keeper to save.
I still dont get how you kick the ball LOW on a PK - just go high to the corner.

Canada been good controlling the fist half - but just like the Mexicans - who also controlled a big part of the game - lack finishers.

joseephuss

Reaction score
I still dont get how you kick the ball LOW on a PK - just go high to the corner.

Canada been good controlling the fist half - but just like the Mexicans - who also controlled a big part of the game - lack finishers.

I agree high in the corner is the best place. Low in the corner isn't bad, either. Especially with a tall keeper who tend to be slower getting low to the ground. That attempt was nowhere near the corner.

csirl

Reaction score
I think some of the inconsistent starts from good teams are due to lack of time together. Most of their players were playing club football the weekend before the tournament.

With the summer world cups, these teams get c.3 weeks of a camp plus 2 or 3 friendly fixtures immediately before the tournament.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Spain isn't likely to find 7 goals the remainder of the tournament. Looked good today and put themselves in a good spot to advance. Now have to face a desperate Germany who will need a win for any hope while Spain can accept a tie.
1st game often is fool's gold.
France only scored 3 goals in the 2018 group stage before winning it all.
Spain is good but I still don't view them as favorites.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
What team is likely to "find" 7 goals the rest of the tourney?

Spain, England, and France are the class of this tournament. One of them will win.
Still would like to see Brazil, but from what I've seen - France is the top team.

joseephuss

Reaction score
1st game often is fool's gold.
France only scored 3 goals in the 2018 group stage before winning it all.
Spain is good but I still don't view them as favorites.

I don't see Spain as favorite, either. They are limited by Morata up top. He just does not have the quality needed with those distributors at midfield. I see them probably making the quarter finals and then it will just depend on who they face.

nyc-cowboy

Reaction score
They are limited by Morata up top. He just does not have the quality needed with those distributors at midfield.
On a side note - I've watched this game for a very long time and one of my all time favorite players to watch was Andres Iniesta, guy was pure class.

joseephuss

Reaction score
On a side note - I've watched this game for a very long time and one of my all time favorite players to watch was Andres Iniesta, guy was pure class.

He was a joy to watch. A great partnership with Xavi. This duo of Gavi and Pedri could be very good, too for a couple more World Cups.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I don't see Spain as favorite, either. They are limited by Morata up top. He just does not have the quality needed with those distributors at midfield. I see them probably making the quarter finals and then it will just depend on who they face.

Morata comes off the bench.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Having seen Morata at Chelsea I certainly agree.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That 2nd goal that Brazilian player scored today was a thing of beauty. I would have pulled groin if I tried that.
Phenomenal stuff from them throughout.
Dominant performance with at least 3 shots hitting the crossworks.
But that scissor kick goal was sublime.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Definitely. Was arguably better than Messi on some of those great Barca teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Iran beating Wales puts the US in a great spot.
Can get through now with a win over Iran and competitive loss showing versus England and 4 points unless Wales upsets England by a large point differential.

Flamma

Reaction score
Can get through now with a win over Iran and competitive loss showing versus England and 4 points unless Wales upsets England by a large point differential.

Yeah. But can the US. beat Iran? They looked better against Wales than we did.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Watch the US screw this all up and beat England today but lose to Iran on Tuesday. I know the US won’t beat England but one can hope

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah. But can the US. beat Iran? They looked better against Wales than we did.
If not they don't deserve to go through.

The US will bring a similar speed advantage that England did without the backing skill. England scored 6.

The US was pretty dominant versus Wales in the first half then were outplayed in the 2nd half when they ran out of juice.
You'd ideally get a lead and sub freely to keep that juice versus Iran.

Nothing will be easy but realistically getting through with 4 points, 1 win was probably always the goal here.
Far scarier if Wales had won 2-0 over Iran IMHO and then got to face an England assured of advancing in match 3.

Iran by losing a 4 goal diff versus England dug quite a hole. Wales giving up the 2nd very late also saw the GD drop to -2.
I suspect that 2nd spot comes via score differential.
But yes US must win at least 1 of the final 2 games to get there and not get blown out in the other.