2022 FIFA World Cup

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
That Germany miss hurts because you had them in the Finals but you could have made A LOT of money on Japan and Australia.
I wouldn't have argued Japan but Australia I did not see coming.
I expected Mexico to advance as well but they were a toss up with Poland and they were only skipped out by 1 goal in differential.
They lacked a bit of Final 3rd quality and it cost them.

Morocco and Australia were my biggest surprises.
US played almost exactly as I expected. I made a fair amount of cash off the draw with England and a few bucks off beating Iran.
Now I just don't know where they scare up a goal versus NED but perhaps a bit of magic from Pulisic to Reyna in the early 2nd half.

Yup, so, overall, I did quite well. Didn't expect Germany to fold like a tent, but it happens haha. I think, given what happened, that Portugal is going to win it with Germany out of the way.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
The USA can tie this game before the 90 minute mark. Players need to stay composed around the box. Don’t rush shot attempts that have no chance.

Flamma

Reaction score
This USA team is hard to watch. How many times are they going to work the ball from just outside the box to midfield? Once back to the goalie. They don't have the lead, and no points are awarded for time of possession. You don't see the Netherlands doing that. Just center it for God sakes!

Flamma

Reaction score
I'm ranting now, but I'd like to add one more thing. The 2002 team was better.

DFWJC

Reaction score
As good as The Netherlands Team has been throughout history, I'm surprised they've never won a World Cup.
They have been tortured with 3 runner-ups and 5 final 4 appearances, but never a Championship.

Wouldnt mind seeing it happen

DFWJC

Reaction score
Most World Cup Titles (Final 4 appearances in parenthesis) Currently in 2022 Sweet 16 are BOLD

5..Brazil (11)...last was 2002
4..Germany (13)...last was 2014
4..Italy (8)...last was 2006
2..France (6)...last was 2018
2..Argentina (5)..last was 1986
1..England (3)...last was 1966...whoa
1..Spain (2)...last was 2010

Most Final 4s with NO titles
5..Netherlands
4..Sweden
2...Austria, Belgium, Croatia, Czech Rep, Hungary, Poland, Portugal, Serbia
1...Bulgaria, Chile, Russia, S. Korea, Turkey, USA (1930..lol..so not really)

No Final 4s but in tourney this year
Australia, Japan, Morocco, Senegal, Switzerland,

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
USMNT showed quite well getting to the Knockouts but still a ways to go to be considered elite.

There are levels to this and the Netherlands reminded them of that.

Plus: US has grown into a legit side who can move the ball and control it. They have massively upgraded in skill. This was a very young team with its core being 20-24... They will likely be favored to hit Final 8 in 4 years in the US based WC.

Minus: This team lacks a central forward and apex attacker. Without Messi or Mbappe you better get a target man over the cycle. The central defense was sound but unathletic. Find an answer there.

Creeper

Reaction score
The US lost 3-1 to Netherlands in World Cup Soccer today. I give the USA credit. They made it to the final 16 but were just not good enough to advance. The US team is the 2nd youngest in the tournament so maybe we will see a better finish in the next World Cup. In the mean time, congrats to all the guys who played pretty hard and really did well against more experienced teams.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
As good as The Netherlands Team has been throughout history, I'm surprised they've never won a World Cup.
They have been tortured with 3 runner-ups and 5 final 4 appearances, but never a Championship.

Wouldnt mind seeing it happen
I hated our match up with the Dutch because they have a certain DNA to their soccer.
They are tough to score on and clinical on the break.
They are physical and keep their defensive shape until they lull you to sleep and go.

USMNT is growing in skill and overall ability but that final bit of quality to score is lacking.
As someone who watched Pulisic weekly, the USMNT needs someone to finish chances he creates.
He's not going to carry scoring himself.

StylisticS

Reaction score
I'm ranting now, but I'd like to add one more thing. The 2002 team was better.
Well...they had a better coach and that's saying something. For US to take that next step, more needs to be done but coaching must be addressed. Even the Dutch coached called it out that they didn't adjust.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Well...they had a better coach and that's saying something. For US to take that next step, more needs to be done but coaching must be addressed. Even the Dutch coached called it out that they didn't adjust.
That is understatement. The Dutch coach out coached the US coach tactically. The Dutch took away the US strength of speed and over the top passes. The game was textbook on how not to play defense if you watch the US side. You need to follow your man and communicate with each other. All 3 goals, the Dutch players were wide open. Very frustrating.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
That is understatement. The Dutch coach out coached the US coach tactically. The Dutch took away the US strength of speed and over the top passes. The game was textbook on how not to play defense if you watch the US side. You need to follow your man and communicate with each other. All 3 goals, the Dutch players were wide open. Very frustrating.
Van Gaal is arguably a top 10 Manager.
He's had jobs at Barca, Bayern and Man U.

If the US wanted to get a manage like that they should be chatting up Jose Mourinho.
Though with Jose a lot of players might quit the team, lol.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Also, not to fully defend Burkhalter, as I had major issues with his team selections at times... the US did miss a golden goal opp 3 mins in only to fall behind at 11 minutes and thus trailed and were forced to chase game.

Had that Puli shot on goal go in we may have a very different tactic the rest of the way from the US.

Bigdog

Reaction score
Van Gaal is arguably a top 10 Manager.
He's had jobs at Barca, Bayern and Man U.

If the US wanted to get a manage like that they should be chatting up Jose Mourinho.
Though with Jose a lot of players might quit the team, lol.
Also, not to fully defend Burkhalter, as I had major issues with his team selections at times... the US did miss a golden goal opp 3 mins in only to fall behind at 11 minutes and thus trailed and were forced to chase game.

Had that Puli shot on goal go in we may have a very different tactic the rest of the way from the US.
I forgot Van Gaal was coaching the Dutch and when I saw it I thought to myself we are out of league. I think he did very well taking away the US strengths but that is what a good coach does and then it is up to the players to implement it. More so in soccer than any other sport because there are no timeouts.
The US did have a golden opportunity to score and Pulisic probably should have put it away. The US had other opportunities to score also. The difference is that the Dutch buried their chances when they had to and the US did not. Hopefully they learn from this