2022 FIFA World Cup

dogberry

Reaction score
My shortcut would be to have two teams.

One team made up of Croatian Americans.

The second team made up of Italian Americans.

Then let them compete for right to play in the World Cup.

This recommendation is against my interest but in the interest of America.

Sarek

Povar
Reaction score
My shortcut would be to have two teams.

One team made up of Croatian Americans.

The second team made up of Italian Americans.

Then let them compete for right to play in the World Cup.

This recommendation is against my interest but in the interest of America.
Or just merge the two.

StylisticS

Reaction score
There is no question the talent level on the team is better now that its ever been. Berhalter just doesn't know what to do with it. He's got 2 of our most coveted players riding the pine for most of the tournament. I think we can look a lot better with what we have in a better system with a better coach.
Yeah I agree. A big improvement with this team is that we are now getting players to Europe far earlier in their development. We are actually getting 17 year olds over there which is different from 20 years ago when they would go over there at age 25-27 or so. Definitely a nice step for the future.

StylisticS

Reaction score
Definitely, and, at the very least, the US should also try to get some players to some South American sides as well. Both South America and Europe are good places to send players.
Yeah playing in Brazil or Argentina shouldn't hurt. But Europe is always the place to go as that is where the best in the world are at.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Yeah playing in Brazil or Argentina shouldn't hurt. But Europe is always the place to go as that is where the best in the world are at.

As a Bournemouth supporter, I'm well aware that Europe is where the best in the world are. I'm just saying that, not everyone can crack a Europe squad. So, a Brazilian, Argentine, or even a Chilean side might be a good alternative option should an American player find that Europe is too full.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
All a moot point because they are all already in Europe.
This isn't the USMNT circa 2012.
We had like 2 MLS team members.
MLS guys are moving to Europe at vastly increasing rates and kids coming out of US academies like FC Dallas are going overseas by 18-19.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Congratz to Morocco!!
What a showing!!

Brazil let me down again with their nonsense. Coach subbing on central forwards and high pressing with a lead and minutes left???? Goofball stuff.

Argentina has played a very good tourney after the wakeup call of game 1.
They've kept their form and found attacking windows then been truly clinical.
Messi at line is 1 goal.

Really appreciated Croatia. I am a big Kovacic fan and who doesn't love Luka. But they have more depth than I knew. I thought they might have aged out of elite.

And France, sheesh. What even can be said. They are missing like 6 A side players. But they have an athleticism and skill on par with Brazil and all the athletic kids have avoided those disaster class mistakes of recent past.
Mbappe is the best in the world right now IMO. Speed kills and he brings skill with it.

StylisticS

Reaction score
All a moot point because they are all already in Europe.
This isn't the USMNT circa 2012.
We had like 2 MLS team members.
MLS guys are moving to Europe at vastly increasing rates and kids coming out of US academies like FC Dallas are going overseas by 18-19.
Oh I know. I am just saying that nearly all of the players on the team need to be called up from a club in Europe. Argentina had 1 player from their domestic league. Brazil had 2 players from their domestic league. The US had 8 of their players from MLS.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Oh I know. I am just saying that nearly all of the players on the team need to be called up from a club in Europe. Argentina had 1 player from their domestic league. Brazil had 2 players from their domestic league. The US had 8 of their players from MLS.
Yea 9 of 26 were MLS but those were not guys that were going to really play aside from Zimmerman.
A couple of guys got 1 game sub minutes and it does speak to our lack of overall depth.
But all the core guys that will shape the team going forward are already overseas playing.

FhJ4a12WYAEPSGY

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
4 years ago basically all the core guys were in MLS except Pulisic.
It was just gross.

jterrell

Penguinite
Reaction score
Yeah I looked at that roster in 2018 and was amazed at how many were MLS guys.
2014 had a good amount of USMNT playing overseas but the explosion of attention drew them back to MLS for fat paychecks to essentially retire.
So we lost a lot of quality veterans development time.
Those dudes tried to just run it back in 2018 and were trash, couldn't even qualify.
We were relying on Pulisic to carry them before he even had to shave.

Thankfully going forward these guys are getting better European offers and many are already back in training with superb clubs with long histories of excellent development.

StylisticS

Reaction score
2014 had a good amount of USMNT playing overseas but the explosion of attention drew them back to MLS for fat paychecks to essentially retire.
So we lost a lot of quality veterans development time.
Those dudes tried to just run it back in 2018 and were trash, couldn't even qualify.
We were relying on Pulisic to carry them before he even had to shave.

Thankfully going forward these guys are getting better European offers and many are already back in training with superb clubs with long histories of excellent development.
It's also good that we are getting players in Europe before they turn 20. That's not happening 30 years ago. The US has even more talent coming in compared to other concacaf nations.

csirl

Reaction score
The big issue USMNT has is CONCACAF. It's a 3rd rate continental federation as its mainly small countries. Mexico is the only real competitive opposition. So most games are against poor opposition.

US soccer should be pushing for a merger with South America to create a pan-American federation.

StylisticS

Reaction score
The big issue USMNT has is CONCACAF. It's a 3rd rate continental federation as its mainly small countries. Mexico is the only real competitive opposition. So most games are against poor opposition.

US soccer should be pushing for a merger with South America to create a pan-American federation.
I agree but I don’t see them going that route. It would light a fire in their behinds but again, it would be difficult to get to any world cups with that merge. Not to mention the rest of concacaf would throw a fit. Costa Rica, Honduras, Panama, Canada, and Jamaica would never make it or win a tournament if a merger happened.

I will say this, if Copa America invites the US say in 2024, they need to go. The US will never challenge itself playing the likes of nations that will never do anything in the World Cup. Playing against Ecuador, Peru, and Colombia is better than playing against El Salvador, Honduras, and Panama (no disrespect to these nations).

vlad

Reaction score
This is great. Argentina up 2-0
I hope we see a close match in the 2nd.

I’m probably alone as a casual fan but i forgot how how much more exciting to me football is compared to American football.

Flamma

Reaction score
I hope we see a close match in the 2nd.

I’m probably alone as a casual fan but i forgot how how much more exciting to me football is compared to American football.

Had England been in this match instead of France, I'd be hoping for a close match. Those two have played some great matches in the past. But since it's France, I hope they lose 4-0. But they can run around looking good all they want. :)

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
What a first half by Argentina. France has the talent to get back in it, but the Argentinians seem to be on a mission for Messi.