2022 FIFA World Cup

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Another wasted opportunity..

I felt England showed France way to much respect in the first 30 minutes. I would have liked to have seen them really have a go at them. When they did (during the second half) France looked vulnerable. Walker did a solid job on Mbappe. Hard to comprehend the Kane miss. I didn't like his technique in the run up, didn't open his body up. Having said that he was one of England's best players and can't blame him for a miss. Really thought it was our year, or at least a World Cup Final appearance

Agreed entirely

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
Did Kane's penalty land yet? Thought we were about to get some extra time and maybe another shootout. Instead, Harry needs to hire someone to start his car.

Flamma

Reaction score

I felt England showed France way to much respect in the first 30 minutes. I would have liked to have seen them really have a go at them. When they did (during the second half) France looked vulnerable. Walker did a solid job on Mbappe. Hard to comprehend the Kane miss. I didn't like his technique in the run up, didn't open his body up. Having said that he was one of England's best players and can't blame him for a miss. Really thought it was our year, or at least a World Cup Final appearance

I actually thought England started to look better as the match went on. Totally surprised me. I was rooting for them at the end.

Flamma

Reaction score
Why are they playing these last two games at the same time? Really?

Flamma

Reaction score
With there being a chance that France and Croatia have a rematch of the last World Cup Finals, I was wondering if that had ever happened before in back-to-back Finals.

For you WC history buffs, it has, once.

Germany and Argentina faced each other in back-to-back WC Finals in 1986 and 1990 with each winning one championship.

I think you pointed out the only time there was a repeat World Cup final. I also think that was the only time a team (West Germany) got to the WC 3 times in a row.

Creeper

Reaction score

I am shocked England lost. It looked to me like England was apply pressure most of the match. France was more opportunistic. I am just surprised England did not score more goals considering how they played.

Flamma

Reaction score
I am shocked England lost. It looked to me like England was apply pressure most of the match. France was more opportunistic. I am just surprised England did not score more goals considering how they played.

Me too. That missed penalty kick was such a disappointment.

joseephuss

Reaction score
Why are they playing these last two games at the same time? Really?

It is the primetime spot in that part of the world. Makes sense. No need for an earlier time slot since the games are on different days.

joseephuss

Reaction score

England had some matchup advantages against the France defense and didn't fully make use of them. Saka drew that penalty and then England didn't try to go back to that match up often enough. The whole France defense kept making poor decisions, were fouling easily and taking gambles that England should have seized upon more often, but chose not to do so. That is on Southgate and it is no surprise. He stuck with Henderson for far too long.

Flamma

Reaction score
It is the primetime spot in that part of the world. Makes sense. No need for an earlier time slot since the games are on different days.

Ok. Excuse my mental lapse. I didn't realize they were on different days. I'm going to go give myself a swirly now.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
USMNT team coach Berhalter finally admits there was a personal problem with Reyna and not an injury. I don't get it. We are not France or even England who can bench a star and simply replace them with an equivalent talent. The drop-off from Reyna to his replacememts is huge. Berhalter picks a fight the week of the WC? Coach needs to go.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
USMNT team coach Berhalter finally admits there was a personal problem with Reyna and not an injury. I don't get it. We are not France or even England who can bench a star and simply replace them with an equivalent talent. The drop-off from Reyna to his replacememts is huge. Berhalter picks a fight the week of the WC? Coach needs to go.

Definitely, I think for Team USA though, the coaching pickings are thin. Firstly, the US made a massive error in letting go of Klinsmann as he encouraged foreign play and was, imo, the best manager the US has had in a long time. I don't see many managers that the US could tap honestly that'd want the job. Perhaps Wayne Rooney, ironically? He's managed at DC United. He understands the US system. He's played for England. He might be someone the US could tap.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Definitely, I think for Team USA though, the coaching pickings are thin. Firstly, the US made a massive error in letting go of Klinsmann as he encouraged foreign play and was, imo, the best manager the US has had in a long time. I don't see many managers that the US could tap honestly that'd want the job. Perhaps Wayne Rooney, ironically? He's managed at DC United. He understands the US system. He's played for England. He might be someone the US could tap.

The only path forward is someone outside the US system b/c it hasn't improved much in the past 30 years. We need someone familiar with European football b/c that is where the worlds best players and teams reside. Loading us up with MLS players and alienating emerging young stars like Brendan Arronson and Gio Reyna is not a strategy that is going to work. At least Rooney knows what it takes be a top tier player on the world stage and that would be of far more use in developing our young guys than anything Berhalter has to offer.

Klinsman was too arrogant and accomplished for the losers currently running the USMNT.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The only path forward is someone outside the US system b/c it hasn't improved much in the past 30 years. We need someone familiar with European football b/c that is where the worlds best players and teams reside. Loading us up with MLS players and alienating emerging young stars like Brendan Arronson and Gio Reyna is not a strategy that is going to work. At least Rooney knows what it takes be a top tier player on the world stage and that would be of far more use in developing our young guys than anything Berhalter has to offer.

Klinsman was too arrogant and accomplished for the losers currently running the USMNT.

That was exactly the issue. Klinsman butted heads too much with the US culture, especially when it came to the MLS. The US needs a foreign manager, which is why I suggested Rooney. However, the US isn't going to improve until the US realises that it can't treat football like it's an American sport. The US must improve it's outlook on the sport before the US can even think about reaching the Quarter Finals and beyond. As you also correctly stated, loading up on the MLS players and alienating young stars will haunt the US. Part of the reason the US missed the WC in 2018 was because the entire side played in the MLS.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That was exactly the issue. Klinsman butted heads too much with the US culture, especially when it came to the MLS. The US needs a foreign manager, which is why I suggested Rooney. However, the US isn't going to improve until the US realises that it can't treat football like it's an American sport. The US must improve it's outlook on the sport before the US can even think about reaching the Quarter Finals and beyond. As you also correctly stated, loading up on the MLS players and alienating young stars will haunt the US. Part of the reason the US missed the WC in 2018 was because the entire side played in the MLS.

The problem is the USMNT overlords are just looking at the results and not HOW the team looks on the field. Its just ugly. Too many shaky players on the ball and no coherent strategy. They don't seem to understand that 1-0 can be a close game or a dominating victory/defeat. We made it to the final 16 b/c we are better than Iran and Wales.....barely. But, when we actually came up against the better teams, like England and Netherlands, its clear we don't belong on the same field.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
The problem is the USMNT overlords are just looking at the results and not HOW the team looks on the field. Its just ugly. Too many shaky players on the ball and no coherent strategy. They don't seem to understand that 1-0 can be a close game or a dominating victory/defeat. We made it to the final 16 b/c we are better than Iran and Wales.....barely. But, when we actually came up against the better teams, like England and Netherlands, its clear we don't belong on the same field.

Not only that, but it's also because the USMNT is so beholden to this notion that the MLS is some sort of great league because it attracts stars, when those are stars just looking for one last paycheck before retirement. Essentially, the MLS is a retirement league for European stars past their best.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Not only that, but it's also because the USMNT is so beholden to this notion that the MLS is some sort of great league because it attracts stars, when those are stars just looking for one last paycheck before retirement. Essentially, the MLS is a retirement league for European stars past their best.

Its baffling. I enjoy going to an MLS game b/c its as close as we can get to the real thing. But I can see the difference. Its a 3rd tier league. I compare it to AA baseball to my friends who don't follow the sport. ..... and thats being generous since AA baseball still has future stars passing through. The MLS doesn't entertain even the young Messi's or Mbappes. We get the future Berhalters, put them on a world stage, and then pretend like a 1-0 result proves how close we are in quality.

Same people who think the USWNT is equivalent to the USMNT and might give them a game. :laugh:

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Its baffling. I enjoy going to an MLS game b/c its as close as we can get to the real thing. But I can see the difference. Its a 3rd tier league. I compare it to AA baseball to my friends who don't follow the sport. ..... and thats being generous since AA baseball still has future stars passing through. The MLS doesn't entertain even the young Messi's or Mbappes. We get the future Berhalters, put them on a world stage, and then pretend like a 1-0 result proves how close we are in quality.

Same people who think the USWNT is equivalent to the USMNT and might give them a game. :laugh:

Exactly, and the stars that come from Europe are always hailed in because of what they were. They are seldom if ever developed in the MLS.

joseephuss

Reaction score

The US/MLS also is somewhat reliant on the college system whereas other countries do not.

I agree the MLS is a lower tier league. Playing in the MLS is not going to produce enough quality. More guys need to battle in Europe to hone their skills. Mexico has the same problems. Playing in Liga MX is not the same as playing in Europe. Even players in South America recognize the better competition plus better pay is found in the European leagues.

I'm somewhat impressed on how the MLS developed. That it survived the early years and has grown is a good thing, but it is a long way from being a top notch league. The odds are that it will never achieve that level.

Ultimately the push has to come at the youth level. Have to focus on developing the right skill sets of kids. Also, need to get away from the expensive pay-to-play system that ends up weeding out potential good players because they simply can't afford to play on the club teams. I've seen some changes in that over the years, but it needs to continue.