25 years of roster building- what it reveals

Hadenough

Reaction score
A quarter of a century has gone by since the Dallas Cowboys played in and won a Super Bowl. Or played in and won a conference championship game. Or even won a divisional playoff game. Perspective? Dak Prescott was 2 years old the last time that happened. Cedee Lamb wasn’t born yet. Nearly half our current roster wasn’t even born yet. Tony Romo was 15. This could go on....

But I was curious about how this organization invested its roster building capital the last 25 years. By that I mean which positions did the organization spend the most draft and trade capital to build a roster? The answer to that question reveals a big reason why this organization can’t seem to build a playoff winner.

Here are the positions this FO has spent most of its roster and draft capital on the last 25 years showing what they value most:

• WR- Surprise! The Cowboys have drafted 18 WRs in the last 25 drafts, and have also used 4 number one draft picks in trades for Joey Galloway, Roy Williams, and Amari Cooper. That makes a whopping 22 draft picks used to acquire WRs!
  • DEs- The Cowboys have used 20 draft picks to acquire DEs the last 25 years.
  • LBs- The next most popular position has been LB with 18 draft picks.
  • CBs- Next most popular is corner backs with 13 picks.
  • DTs- only 11 have been drafted over 25 years, and 3 of those were in the last 2 years.
  • I’m not going to go position by position but the bottom two roster positions valued after P and K was also no surprise- S (only 7 drafted in 25 years) and QB (only 6)
If you want to know what an organization values, look at where they spend their roster capital. For the Cowboys the last 25 years, that position is WR. That says a lot about why we can’t seem to get over the playoff hump the last quarter century.

Here is a link I used to look up Cowboys draft history on Pro Football Reference, a free site with lots of good info. https://www.pro-football-reference.com/teams/dal/draft.htm
Good work Bob! The least valued position is the most important and they havent drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman. It would be interesting to see how this compares to some of the more solid organizations like the Steelers, Ravens, Giants , Pats.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I meant anti-Cowboy front office, not anti-Cowboy. I guess one of my pet peeves here is the anti-Jerry feeling of many. I think a lot of people are unhappy with the result and cast blame on Jerry and the front office even though they made logical decisions at the time. Sometimes the correct thought process is no match to bad luck. Jerry put together a really good team on paper this year and massive injuries killed the season. How does one fault Jerry for injuries?

Sure Jerry and company make their share of mistakes but overall they do a good job in fielding a team.
We are all rooting for our front office and ownerships success while pointing out their flaws holding them accountable.

And our criticism is not just of the results but in the dysfunctional manner they often conduct their football operations which is a contributing factor to the product and results. Not to mention the image of Cowboys Football which has been tarnished this era.

And the team assembled this year was similar to last years 8-8 team with the exception of the coaching staff. There was really very little that provided this season was going to be marginally improved beyond the usual hype which often surrounds this franchise.

As far as the talent this team has stars at the key position which often presents the hype we are a talented roster . We have an offensively talented roster which even as it was setting records early on in the season as one of the top offenses wasn’t able to muster more than a 1-3 record. Mostly because of a horrid defense which has continually thwarted the success of this franchise throughout this era. And why this team is not as soundly built as some want to claim despite a few stars at the key positions.

Which supports our priorities under this dysfunctionally ran organization as usual which our owner honestly and openly stated a couple weeks ago his intent and or goal is to remain “ relevant and interesting “. This ownerships intent to wear both hats as owner and GM continues to be a conflict of interest for Cowboys Football and is the core cause for its lack of more success this era.

Last edited:

Diehardblues

Reaction score
Good work Bob! The least valued position is the most important and they havent drafted a 1st round QB since Aikman. It would be interesting to see how this compares to some of the more solid organizations like the Steelers, Ravens, Giants , Pats.
Which leads me back to Jimmy’s comments regarding that position in that he recommends signing Dak and drafting a QB 1st in this deeply rich QB draft.

fivetwos

Reaction score
They have fielded better teams than the results have played out. 2007 - that team had no business losing to NY in the playoffs. Team on the field failed, not the front office. 2011-2013, while the team wasn’t SB worthy, no way should those teams have lost 3 straight week 17 games to miss the playoffs. 2015 - that team was decimated by injuries. 2016 - no way that team should have lost to a GB MASH unit, regardless of who played QB. Those are some examples.

This isn’t all on Jerry. He’s put teams on the field that should have accomplished more than they did.
Thats because of the inferior coaches HE insists on hiring.

Jerry doesn't respect coaching because he thinks he can do it himself.

The reality is that it matters more than it ever has.

If the overall point is its not all on Jerry, then fine, but in addition to the above, he also created the owner/GM being the players pal type atmosphere, so
...I'd say quite a bit of the lack of results can be traced directly to the way he wants things

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score

If the overall point is its not all on Jerry, then fine, but in addition to the above, he also created the owner/GM being the players pal type atmosphere, so
...I'd say quite a bit of the lack of results can be traced directly to the way he wants things
Sorry; but coaching isn’t the only answer either. Even with Garrett, the team should have advanced further than it did. And I do not like Jerry, for the record. I just can recognize he has out a better product in the field than what the team has delivered.

DanA

Reaction score
Lets put some things in perspective. A roster typically has:
2 x QB
3 x RB
4 x TE
7 x WR
4 x OT
3 x OG
2 x OC

4 x DT
5 x DE
6 x LB
6 x CB
4 x S

So WR should lead the offensive side of the ball by a fair margin with LB, CB & DE not far behind. We've also had Aikmen, Romo, or Dak for 22 of the last 25 years so understandably we haven't drafted many QB's. I'd still rather us draft more offensive and defensive linemen in the first three round though.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Sorry; but coaching isn’t the only answer either. Even with Garrett, the team should have advanced further than it did. And I do not like Jerry, for the record. I just can recognize he has out a better product in the field than what the team has delivered.
He is the GM and is responsible for all of it. He certainly would be there taking all the accolades if he ever got it right.

If you want to say he has brought in decent players thats fine.

If you want to say those players didn't perform on the field, why IS that if it isn't coaching?

It may very well be the environment, which he is also very responsible for.

If anything, of those three items, the argument can be made he is the least involved with player selection.

He is DEFINITELY right at the front of the other two.

The job of an NFL GM isn't only to fetch good players and watch the games. Its also hire a good staff and create a winning atmosphere.

I don't disagree that the teams have underperformed, but its not as if Jerry isn't at the forefront of as to why.

Aviano90

Go Seahawks!!!
Reaction score
If you want to say those players didn't perform on the field, why IS that if it isn't coaching?

Here are some examples:

Do you think Parcells coached Romo to let the ball slip through his fingers?

Do you think Romo was coached to miss TO open in the red zone or Crayton was coached to drop a ball?

Do you think Murray was coached to fumble or Bailey was coached to miss a FG?

Those mistakes are not on coaching. They aren’t on Jerry. Those are basic execution failures.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

The fan you’re responding to is part of the problem as they believe our owner has done his part and providing enough talent to win. He didn’t mention but I suspect this fan probably blames the coaching since he believes we had enough talent for more success which also falls under the owners and GM responsibility.

I could break down each season to argue his stance but it’s not going to sway his belief. Unfortunately these type of fans are continuing to enable our owners ways of running Cowboys Football.

Whenever I hear some fans state that everyone realizes our owners ways are the problem and we are beating a dead horse with our criticism of his ways we are reminded by fans like these there is still a segment of fans who don’t believe as such.

Diehardblues

Reaction score

Here are some examples:

Do you think Romo was coached to miss TO open in the red zone or Crayton was coached to drop a ball?

Those mistakes are not on coaching. They aren’t on Jerry. Those are basic execution failures.
These are all speculative opinions which can be argued until the cows come home .

The bottomline is those teams didn’t have more success. Upsets happen like in 2007 or in 2016 home playoff games. The best team in a single elimination doesn’t always win and why we play the games. It’s why results matter.

And if part of the criticism is our team under achieved then the talent that is heralded must also be held accountable. There’s always contributing factors.

If Jerry assembled talent that under achieved or chokes in big games then he’s still responsible. It goes both ways. You get the credit with success and blame for lack of it.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I meant anti-Cowboy front office, not anti-Cowboy. I guess one of my pet peeves here is the anti-Jerry feeling of many. I think a lot of people are unhappy with the result and cast blame on Jerry and the front office even though they made logical decisions at the time. Sometimes the correct thought process is no match to bad luck. Jerry put together a really good team on paper this year and massive injuries killed the season. How does one fault Jerry for injuries?

Sure Jerry and company make their share of mistakes but overall they do a good job in fielding a team.
Well said brother. Just going to have to disagree witcha on this one. There’s a lot more to team building than what’s on paper. And if Jerry’s not responsible, who is? He’s the only constant of the 25 years and by his own declaration the guy with the most responsibilities. Btw, I think Jerry is a great businessman, a good father, and generally a fairly good dude. He just sucks at being a GM. No other GM would still have a job with his record. He’s just not very good at that.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
No doubt he wants to win badly but not enough to get totally out of the way. He made that crystal clear with Jimmy after back to back championships.

And hasn’t steered far away from it since. I’m not sure what further evidence fans need.

Winning championships with someone else the face of the Cowboys doesn’t interest him. That’s not what he put up his 140 million for which he has told us time and time again.

We obviously have been sending him the wrong message. And this isn’t for you . I know you know .
Booger soothes his hurt feelings checking out the ratings and revenue.

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
It is very simple for me to evaluate Booger's job as the GM. HC and the players he gets for his HC. That is all.

He got a new HC and gave him a WR when he already had two good ones and went to the bargain bin for D FA's again for his DC. At least he traded for Quinn to give Marinelli some help.

Here's the wackiest part about this. This team is coming off the worst D performance not only in the league but in it's team history and you are not 100% comfortable that he's going D with that 1st pick, are you?

He doesn't have to get it right, he makes the same amount of money either way and has great job security. Stop thinking he has to win, he doesn't. He wants to win and there's a huge difference between wants to and has to.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
What was the first team that Booger first looked into buying? The San Diego Chargers and what were they known for? Mad offense and they were the first Greatest Show on Turf. However, they never won anything because they were a thoroughbred than only ran 6 furlongs but they could run them better than anyone, everyone oohed and aahed when they ran. Right up until they had to play defense and go the mile and 16th.

I do not know the specifics of that deal not happening but I think that was an attractant to Booger, show biz was already in his blood.
He was only 23 fresh out of Arkansas and Chargers I believe were only team up for sale at the time for a meager 5.5 million. But his father advised not to go thru with it as the AFL wasn’t doing well financially and pulled his support . Jerry initially looked to other investors like Hoffa teamsters. Imagine that merger. But eventually withdrew. The team would eventually sell for 10 million .

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan

I am sure all those people that buy tickets and support this franchise are in agreement with you.

How does one fault Booger for injuries? Every GM gets the heat for injuries because he's responsible for every player on the team, not just the starters. You think any GM would survive being so star struck? Injuries are a part of the game for every GM, the ones that don't plan for that very well, don't last. Give too much money to the starters and you get the dregs or inexperienced for backups.

Belichick has dominated the NFL for years because of one difference between him and all other team builders, every player matters and he acquires them with the idea that all will play. Every player on his roster has a role. DAL had injuries and he had 8 players opt out before his season even started and one of them was his D QB. The most important D QB in the league.

This was a bad year for the league with missing players but if the Cowboys hadn't had those injuries, do we think they could stay on the field with the playoff teams in the NFC? They are flawed and that's by design, they do not know how to properly build a football team and never have. 25 years and they're no better at it. They're not any better at it because they don't have to be, they have plenty of people making excuses for them and forking over the cash for an inferior product.

TwoCentPlain

Numbnuts
Reaction score
Well said brother. Just going to have to disagree witcha on this one. There’s a lot more to team building than what’s on paper. And if Jerry’s not responsible, who is? He’s the only constant of the 25 years and by his own declaration the guy with the most responsibilities. Btw, I think Jerry is a great businessman, a good father, and generally a fairly good dude. He just sucks at being a GM. No other GM would still have a job with his record. He’s just not very good at that.

By the way, did you ever go back and compare the data you put forth to rip Jerry and the FO with the other 3 teams in the NFC East over the same time span? Or, do you have your scapegoat and are content with ‘no ring for 25 years, Jerry bad.’

I am going through the annual evaluation with my supervisor now. Like everyone else, I prefer a fair and honest evaluation.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
By the way, did you ever go back and compare the data you put forth to rip Jerry and the FO with the other 3 teams in the NFC East over the same time span? Or, do you have your scapegoat and are content with ‘no ring for 25 years, Jerry bad.’

I am going through the annual evaluation with my supervisor now. Like everyone else, I prefer a fair and honest evaluation.
Propping our owner up with the other futilities of our divisional foes is another example how far our franchise has fallen . We used to compare our franchise to the more successful teams of the era, not the worst.

fivetwos

Reaction score

Here are some examples:

All of that isn't not true and I respect your posts and opinion.

The point was you responded to someone who said don't blame Jerry and agreed.

I get what you're saying and not arguing....however.....if some of those scenarios you presented would have gone our way, Jerry would have been there grabbing the trophy away like he did to Switzer, and told every media outlet in the world what HE did.

So it needs to cut both ways.

The exact same failures of other teams get GMs fired. Tough luck. Just not in Dallas.

fivetwos

Reaction score
Propping our owner up with the other futilities of our divisional foes is another example how far our franchise has fallen . We used to compare our franchise to the more successful teams of the era, not the worst.
What I know for certain is that this division being so awful for so long enabled Jerry to keep his Garrett fantasy going for way longer than it should have.