25 years of roster building- what it reveals

HowardC

Romo was elite
Reaction score
I think I've reached the point of embarrassment. I haven't worn anything Cowboys in public for a few years. Not worth the crap from the locals, especially since there really is no defense from the criticism at this point.

The Cowboys have become a punch line.
All I wear is a ball cap. I haven't worn any of my jerseys in quite a while.

Melonfeud

I Copy!,,, er,,,I guess,,,ah,,,maybe.
Reaction score
* I proudly display my only ( non - numbered) DallasCowboys LABELLED heavy cotton football jersey out on the clothes line,,,er,,, regardless of any negative repercussions FOREIGN or DOMESTIC o_O

kskboys

Reaction score
I think that is more of what's there at 10 and the rankings of the CB's and LB. Most I've seen don't value a DT at the 10 spot.

If we flash back to the Yosemite draft, most didn't have him where the Cowboys took him and many were upset. He was a need and they got just what they needed.

There is also the challenge of having CB's up for contracts, the assumption is they need CB's.
Soooooooooooooo, think about this. We traded back and got a player who immensely improved our team. The people who were upset were complete ninnies!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Verdict

Reaction score
If you call rounds 1-3 “premium draft picks”, the Cowboys have spent a whopping 8 premium draft picks on WRs. Compare that to 2 at DT and 1 at S.

The Cowboys have thrown a lot of draft capital at the DE position over the years and much of that was premium draft capital. We traded up to get Tank. We also trade up for Claiborne. I think we even traded up for Sean Lee.

The theory that we have not invested enough in draft capital on the defense is actually absurd. We have just not drafted very well on defense.

Verdict

Reaction score
I think the poster who was pointing out that WR are used on special teams was spot on.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
That’s why everyone always thinks this team is talented throughout the league. We have Stars at “star” positions. Romo, Dez, Dware, etc. they forget about everything else at a glance.
Totally agree. This is true because that’s the way the team is usually sold to the public. Cedee Lamb was a very popular pick among most fans because he had big marquee value. He’s a great player but it’s debatable whether he actually made our team better.

RS12

Reaction score
Totally agree. This is true because that’s the way the team is usually sold to the public. Cedee Lamb was a very popular pick among most fans because he had big marquee value. He’s a great player but it’s debatable whether he actually made our team better.
I took the opposite point of view. I thought Cee Dee was highly unlikely to bust. After the recent disasters Taco, Hill and LVE that was a welcome and necessary change.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
That’s why everyone always thinks this team is talented throughout the league. We have Stars at “star” positions. Romo, Dez, Dware, etc. they forget about everything else at a glance.
Yep

The bigger question is this done by design?

JoeKing

Diehard
Reaction score
It reveals tanking is a better way of building a real team that can win in the playoffs.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
It reveals the jokers running this circus the last 25 years are incapable of building a team.
Yep

It’s amazing we’ve even been able to remain “ relevant and interesting”. And probably explains why our dysfunctional organization focuses on stars in key positions.

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
...and tanking works. ;)

In the NFL, tanking largely exists only in the minds of fans. Players and coaches do not think like fans. Being bad at their job is not good for their careers, and some of them won't be on that team next year anyway.

But yeah, they sit around in the locker room before a game worrying about draft position. :muttley:

The NBA is a different story. All you have to do there is trade away a couple of starters and you're on your way. Players and coaches still play but the front office can manipulate it much easier.