CFZ 29.8 - average points given up when Dak has thrown it 40 times

plymkr

Reaction score
It's amazing after you posted this there's still factions on both sides that just want to perpetuate the Pro-Anti Dak debate.
I know. People need to let it go. I think some just like to argue for the sake of arguing. It's tiresome after a while. We got so many other things to discuss/debate but some are just obsessed with Dak.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
If I'm not mistaken the Cowboys were getting killed on time of possession when Rush was starting.. despite attempting over 10 less passes per game. Other theories?
It isn't a theory. The running game controls the clock and leads to longer possessions. The passing game by nature is more prone to turnovers, and by definition, shorter fields. T.O.P. may have been lower under Rush, but he wasn't turning the ball over, putting opposing offenses in a position where they had to march the field. This defense has done quite well when they've defended longer fields.

It's no surprise that the defense has given up more points with Dak at QB. Not knocking the guy, he gives this team a better chance to win football games, but the turnovers are giving the defense problems. Am I incorrect in saying this?

RonWashington

Reaction score
No he wasn't. The LB was trailing by 5 yards and the DB that got the pick was setting down in the flat. Go watch the play again. Schultz did not have a defender within 10 feet of him on either side when the ball was thrown.

Look at this.

Notice how far away #1 who got the INT was from Schultz... And also notice that #48 who was the LB in coverage is not even in the picture. That play was wide open. Only the hit on the arm stopped it from being completed.

Don’t see that , when the ball got picked it was hand to hand to combat , Dallas is lucky the DB didn’t dance into the end zone like he was at Gilleys in Houston . Of the all the picks to forgive Dak for the one at your own 5 is not one of them .

SteveTheCowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
25 years of that. Maybe someday people will realize winning has more to do with the team than the QB. Eli Manning was an average QB that had good moments given time — he won twice because of the Giants invest in the trenches.
You asked why Dak/Kellen are targets.

I'm not saying it's all Dak/Romo's fault. I'm saying there's a lot of frustration. This isn't something brand new with Dak...and he needs protection from it. It's how it works.

QB's get wins and "comebacks" in their stat line....cornerbacks and centers don't. They are typically the franchise face. Gotta take the bad with the good.

And you NEVER ever mention Eli's name to my face agin, ya hear? :angry:
:p :laugh:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Don’t see that , when the ball got picked it was hand to hand to combat , Dallas is lucky the DB didn’t dance into the end zone like he was at Gilleys in Houston . Of the all the picks to forgive Dak for the one at your own 5 is not one of them .

Here let me help you then..

Here is the point of release again..

Arrow #1 is Schultz.. notice he is all by his lonesome.
Arrow #1 is the DB #1 who is at least 15 yards away from him ..

Here it is just before the ball gets to the DB.

Arrow #1 points to the ball and the trailing linebacker.
Arrow #2 points to the DB #1's feet just past the 10 yard line and notice he is
Arrow #3 points to Schultz's feet just inside the 15 yard line. Meaning there is nearly 15 feet between the two of them at this point.

On whose planet is this "hand to hand combat?" Maybe if both players have 10 foot long arms?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Here let me help you then..

Here is the point of release again..

Arrow #1 is Schultz.. notice he is all by his lonesome.
Arrow #1 is the DB #1 who is at least 15 yards away from him ..

Here it is just before the ball gets to the DB.

Arrow #1 points to the ball and the trailing linebacker.
Arrow #2 points to the DB #1's feet just past the 10 yard line and notice he is
Arrow #3 points to Schultz's feet just inside the 15 yard line. Meaning there is nearly 15 feet between the two of them at this point.

On whose planet is this "hand to hand combat?" Maybe if both players have 10 foot long arms?

Ok from your own five short pass to the sideline is a good play Dak had nothing to do with it . The lengths people go to defend him . Got to look at the play in real time not arrows pointing east west north south .

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Ok from your own five short pass to the sideline is a good play Dak had nothing to do with it . The lengths people go to defend him . Got to look at the play in real time not arrows pointing east west north south .

Dude Schultz is inside the numbers.. How is that a short pass to the sideline? Did you watch the game at all?

RonWashington

Reaction score
Dude Schultz is inside the numbers.. How is that a short pass to the sideline? Did you watch the game at all?

Did you ? The ball was picked off between the 5-10 short route Daks throwing towards the sideline the CB ends up with the pass . If Daks feeling pressure from his RT why the wounded duck , tuck it in throw it away anything but give Houston the ball at the five then blame it on “ pressure “ .

pansophy

Reaction score
You asked why Dak/Kellen are targets.

I'm not saying it's all Dak/Romo's fault. I'm saying there's a lot of frustration. This isn't something brand new with Dak...and he needs protection from it. It's how it works.

QB's get wins and "comebacks" in their stat line....cornerbacks and centers don't. They are typically the franchise face. Gotta take the bad with the good.

And you NEVER ever mention Eli's name to my face agin, ya hear? :angry:
:p :laugh:
:lmao2:

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Did you ? The ball was picked off between the 5-10 short route Daks throwing towards the sideline the CB ends up with the pass . If Daks feeling pressure from his RT why the wounded duck , tuck it in throw it away anything but give Houston the ball at the five then blame it on “ pressure “ .

I give up.. Enjoy the view from whatever planet you watched the game on..

Nexx

Reaction score
stating the obvious when I am going say most team stats are similar when their QB throws over 40 times in a game....

kskboys

Reaction score
Seems to me that we went purdy pass happy vs the Packers w/ a 2 score lead.

Cowboys1966

Reaction score
There has been a lot of brain dead talk lately about the Cowboys' record when Dak throws the ball 40 or more times. It's 6-14. But since football is a team game that got me wondering.. Why was Dak putting it up 40 or more times in the first place.. I probably kinda knew the answer but went and looked for myself. The bottom line is that pretty much the only time Dak has had to throw it 40 times it's been because the defense has been as loose as a 20 dollar you know what..

I wonder what other QBs records are when their defenses are giving up 30 or more. I bet it aint all that good. None of which is to say Dak doesn't need to play better. Just that these cherry picked numbers in a vacuum don't really tell you a whole lot. The team is 6-14 when giving up a boatload of points. Shocking right? How many times Dak threw the ball probably didn't have much to do with it. In those 14 losses the defense held the opponent to under 20 points twice. Philly in 2019 and KC in 2021. They managed to hold the opponent under 30 three other times.. So in those 14 losses that the talking heads beat their chests about the Cowboys gave up at least 30 points 9 times.

But I can already hear it.. If Dak had only thrown it less the defense would have given up fewer points.. Because we can't play defense if the offense is throwing the ball more than 40 times. It's apparently against the rules. I suspect the defense being porous probably had a lot to do with all those pass attempts. Not every time.. but I would wager more often than not, the pass heavy games featured the defense coming out flat and letting the other team waltz up and down the field, which in turn gave Kellen Moore the excuse he needed to just start slingin it every down!!
So you’re saying the teams pass more when they are behind? Lol. Next you’re gonna tell us the teams run more when they’re ahead…jk

If the cowboys ran it more, then yes the defence will give up fewer points… The clock keeps running on running plays but stops on incomplete passes… So it reduces the number of plays in a game and as a result lowers the score

RonnieT24

Reaction score
So you’re saying the teams pass more when they are behind? Lol. Next you’re gonna tell us the teams run more when they’re ahead…jk

If the cowboys ran it more, then yes the defence will give up fewer points… The clock keeps running on running plays but stops on incomplete passes… So it reduces the number of plays in a game and as a result lowers the score

Like I said.. maybe we should look at the team's records when giving up 30 or more points instead of focusing on how many passes the QB attempts.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Do we think opponents score 29.5 because Dak throws 40 times, or do we think Dak throws 40 times because opponents score so much the Cowboys are forced to pass to try to keep up ... ?

Before anyone says it, I know the defense this year has generally kept opponents scores low so the team hasn't often been in the situation of having to pass to keep up, but Dak has only thrown 40 times once this year, so this entire thread really isn't relevant to the 2022 season.

RonnieT24

Reaction score
Do we think opponents score 29.5 because Dak throws 40 times, or do we think Dak throws 40 times because opponents score so much the Cowboys are forced to pass to try to keep up ... ?

Before anyone says it, I know the defense this year has generally kept opponents scores low so the team hasn't often been in the situation of having to pass to keep up, but Dak has only thrown 40 times once this year, so this entire thread really isn't relevant to the 2022 season.

True enough.. but that whole 6-14 record when Dak passes 40 times keeps popping up. So if others can bring it up why is it out of bounds to point out that the defense has generally been porous in those games.

In case anyone wants to argue that the 40 pass attempts has somehow been the only time the defense has given up 30.. I went back and found 6 games in which the defense gave up 30 or more points while Dak's pass attempts where UNDER 40. The Cowboys were 2-4 in those games.. Whycome they don't bring that up?

kskboys

Reaction score
It's not so much about the number of passes as it is about going pass happy at bad times and insisting on throwing 40 yds downfield when a 5 yard pass is what is needed. Its about managing the game, getting first downs, using clock, playing smart, stuff like that. Y'all arguing about the wrong things.

OmerV

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
True enough.. but that whole 6-14 record when Dak passes 40 times keeps popping up. So if others can bring it up why is it out of bounds to point out that the defense has generally been porous in those games.

In case anyone wants to argue that the 40 pass attempts has somehow been the only time the defense has given up 30.. I went back and found 6 games in which the defense gave up 30 or more points while Dak's pass attempts where UNDER 40. The Cowboys were 2-4 in those games.. Whycome they don't bring that up?
It's not at all out of bounds to point out the defense has been porous in those games. It just struck me that the headline, as it's worded, seems to suggest that Dak passing so much is the reason opponents scored so much. Just pointing out that in most cases it probably works the other way.