3-4 switch way overblown?

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
I've been gone for most of the offseason, so honestly, I haven't been keeping up with all of the buzz around the switch to the 3-4. But hey, the newborn twins have been taking up all my spare time.

I see a lot of folks in the forum getting their feathers in a ruffle over this so-called switch to the 3-4...and how we will suck this season because we don't know how to play it yet.

Has Parcells or anyone on the Cowboys staff ever come out and said that we are officially switching to the 3-4? Mickey and other writers may have said this, and mini camps may have included some 3-4 duty, but the only mouth I trust (and I use the word "trust" loosely here) is Parcells' mouth. Has he said anything this offseason regarding a switch to the 3-4, or occasional use of the 3-4? Has he said anything about anything this offseason? If he has said that we are switching to a 3-4, then please ignore the rest of my post and provide a link.

If the answer is no, then I am not convinced until we see the product on the field. I for one am skeptical about a full time switch because has kept players that he could have easily disposed of if this switch was a full time switch.

IMO, we will see an occasional 3-4 in preseason and perhaps early in the season, but I do not believe that this is a full time switch. Our base defense may still be a 4-3, but we could mix in the 3-4 occasionally. New England does this but in a vice versa fashion (they have a base 3-4). If we get burned on 3-4 alignments early in the season, then I say that this scheme gets scrapped altogether. The 3-4 this year is nothing but a little salt and pepper (or perhaps some Tony Chachere's as we have here in Louisiana).

With this in mind, I am not predicting a doom and gloom season this year because our defense is too "young" and they are learning a "new" scheme. I am not predicting a Lombardi trophy either, but I do not feel that this team is as bad as some think.

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
i'm with you. the defense is in flux (not to be confused with "flex"). nothing is etched in stone. parcells didn't get this far by over-committing to any scheme simply for the sake of the scheme.

the cowboys' personnel and their abilities will be the most important determining factor in the percentage of 3-4 or 4-3 (or any other scheme for that matter) we will witness in the upcoming season.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
I've been gone for most of the offseason, so honestly, I haven't been keeping up with all of the buzz around the switch to the 3-4. But hey, the newborn twins have been taking up all my spare time.

I see a lot of folks in the forum getting their feathers in a ruffle over this so-called switch to the 3-4...and how we will suck this season because we don't know how to play it yet.

Has Parcells or anyone on the Cowboys staff ever come out and said that we are officially switching to the 3-4? Mickey and other writers may have said this, and mini camps may have included some 3-4 duty, but the only mouth I trust (and I use the word "trust" loosely here) is Parcells' mouth. Has he said anything this offseason regarding a switch to the 3-4, or occasional use of the 3-4? Has he said anything about anything this offseason? If he has said that we are switching to a 3-4, then please ignore the rest of my post and provide a link.

If the answer is no, then I am not convinced until we see the product on the field. I for one am skeptical about a full time switch because has kept players that he could have easily disposed of if this switch was a full time switch.

IMO, we will see an occasional 3-4 in preseason and perhaps early in the season, but I do not believe that this is a full time switch. Our base defense may still be a 4-3, but we could mix in the 3-4 occasionally. New England does this but in a vice versa fashion (they have a base 3-4). If we get burned on 3-4 alignments early in the season, then I say that this scheme gets scrapped altogether. The 3-4 this year is nothing but a little salt and pepper (or perhaps some Tony Chachere's as we have here in Louisiana).

With this in mind, I am not predicting a doom and gloom season this year because our defense is too "young" and they are learning a "new" scheme. I am not predicting a Lombardi trophy either, but I do not feel that this team is as bad as some think.

I think he wants to go 3-4. He will in camp if the rookies and vets can pick it up.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
You 4-3 homers are in denial

Zimmer spent all offseason working 3-4
Many players have said its 3-4 (Ferguson of recent)
We drafted 3-4 type players
Jones said 3-4 this week actually

Parcells is a 3-4 coach and pissed off with defensive 4-3 suckage last year.

See Ellis tirade as further proof. And it wasn't a *** coach ELLIS RANT OF WHAT IS MY ROLE IN THE 4-3 THIS YEAR.!

3-4 move is in place and happening. What has the Ellis 4-3 ever really done for us? Glover will be a playa still in 3-4 and some 4-3.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:

See Ellis tirade as further proof. And it wasn't a *** coach ELLIS RANT OF WHAT IS MY ROLE IN THE 4-3 THIS YEAR.!

3-4 move is in place and happening. What has the Ellis 4-3 ever really done for us? Glover will be a playa still in 3-4 and some 4-3.

And many players said both schemes.

And most of the 3-4 type players are also 4-3 type players. Canty is the only true 3-4 guy.

The 4-3 was ranked #1 in 2003 and led the team to the playoffs.

See my post above, but just wanted to point that out to ya.

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:

Not challenging you, but please provide links...

As far as I'm concerned, Fergy, Zimmer, and even Jones are all Tuna's puppets. I want a quote from the fat man himself.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
junk said:
I think he wants to go 3-4. He will in camp if the rookies and vets can pick it up.
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats bad management 101

Its time to DEMAND that they get it. Whats he going to do? Let Ellis whine and say oh well I guess we go back to 4-3, NICE TRY - oops? Thats NOT what he's going to do. Demand players that get it or go get more new players that want and can get it. Parcells tirade at Ellis was that message SQUARED.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Tuna Helper said:
Not challenging you, but please provide links...

As far as I'm concerned, Fergy, Zimmer, and even Jones are all Tuna's puppets. I want a quote from the fat man himself.
who's the fat guy? Parcells - he's too smart to actually tell you. Watch his actions - thats telling.

Add Coakley and Glenn as 3-4 defense move quotes

Tuna Helper

Benched
Reaction score
Nors said:
who's the fat guy? Parcells - he's too smart to actually tell you. Watch his actions - thats telling.

Add Coakley and Glenn as 3-4 defense move quotes

Let me clarify my point...

What I said is that we will not be switching to a full-time 3-4, meaning that our base defense will still be 4-3.

Coakley and Glenn are merely 2 more of Tuna's puppets.

The30YardSlant

Benched
Reaction score

He's hit a new low.....

Nors, NO ONE IS A 4-3 HOMER!!!!! The rest of us just don't live and die by every breathe that mentions a new scheme. If anything, you are a 3-4 homer....

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:

the only homer for a "scheme" on here is you Nors...

most people couldnt care less what scheme we play, as long as we win..

but for the record, we've been to 8 super bowls and won 5 playing a 4-3 defense...the Steelers won 4 super bowls playing a 4-3 defense...Green Bay won 3 super bowls playing a 4-3 defense...Denver won 2 super bowls playing a 4-3...Commanders won 3 superbowls playing the 4-3

I know presendint facts to you is basically a waste of time, but the alot more teams have won championships using the 4-3 than the 3-4...

David

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Its 3-4 base defense now and its now 2005. We will play some 4-3 as we continue to stock 3-4 talent. Recent history has 3-4 winning 3 of last 4 Super Bowls. Parcells has won 2 in a 3-4.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
Nors said:
Its 3-4 base defense now and its now 2005. We will play some 4-3 as we continue to stock 3-4 talent. Recent history has 3-4 winning 3 of last 4 Super Bowls. Parcells has won 2 in a 3-4.

actually New England was using the 4-3 as a base defense in 2001 Nors...being Belechick fan I thought you would know that

and last yr against Philly, New England lined up alot more in even fronts than they did the 3-4

David

SuspectCorner

Still waiting...
Reaction score
Nors said:

we're "following the leader", aren't we Nors?

it strikes me as dang unimaginative to perceive that the lone avenue to ultimate success is the one most recently trodden.

that kinda thinking tends to prohibit any and all progress.

but lock on, bro. narrow up your sightline. the 3-4 is the "miracle cure" and those teams that don't "get it" are destined to fail.

i'll bet you 2-1 (name your price) that the ultimate champ in the upcoming season... runs from a base 4-3 defense.

i REALLY like my odds.

you can get back to me publicly or by PM. your preference.

blindzebra

Reaction score
The talk I have heard is NE is going 4-3 this year, too.

3 teams 5 Super Bowls championships, hardly earth shattering.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Thats bad management 101

Its time to DEMAND that they get it. Whats he going to do? Let Ellis whine and say oh well I guess we go back to 4-3, NICE TRY - oops? Thats NOT what he's going to do. Demand players that get it or go get more new players that want and can get it. Parcells tirade at Ellis was that message SQUARED.

No, its not. If Spears and Ware have rookie years like Rogers then you can't DEMAND the 3-4. It will fail miserably.

Its not about Ellis...if you could read you would see that...its about the rookies. Canty isn't even cleared. Ware/Spears/Burnett haven't played a down of NFL ball in their life and are from 4-3 backgrounds.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
junk said:
No, its not. If Spears and Ware have rookie years like Rogers then you can't DEMAND the 3-4. It will fail miserably.

Its not about Ellis...if you could read you would see that...its about the rookies. Canty isn't even cleared. Ware/Spears/Burnett haven't played a down of NFL ball in their life and are from 4-3 backgrounds.
Stop making sense.

DMX690

Reaction score
If we play the 3-4 base defence cool, if we elect to stay with the 4-3 defence that's cool too. Just as long as we create more turnover and improve our ablitity to rush the QB, from last season. All i know is, on paper , the defence has more talent then last year team. So hopefully, all the new players get a good sense of chemistry with each during the next month. All i care about is winning and everyone here should, care more about winning football games, then, argue about something we have no control of.