3-4 switch way overblown?

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
Nors said:
I know exactly what BELLICHECK did. He had a Base 4-3 and played 3-4 off that. He always mixes it up. In fact last year Pats only played 1 game out of Base 4-3. Eagles in Super Bowl!

We will play a Base 3-4 and play some 4-3 off that.

So this is your official prediction, eh?

Ok. But I agree with LTN that Parcells will not become a slave to his own system. If these rookies do a marginal to poor job picking up the scheme in TC and the pre-season, Parcells will go with a 4-3 base and play some 3-4 off that.

It's not an unreasonable proposition since these rookies were all 4-3 players in college (except "Patch" of course). Zimmer was told to learn the 3-4 because that defensive alignment, or some variation of it, will be in the mix.

Bottom Line: In a perfect world, BP would like to run the 3-4 as his base. But I guarantee Parcells doesn't know at this time if he's going to run a 3-4 base or a 4-3 base just yet. He will keep his options open. It's just too early to predict...like calling an election with less than 1% of the returns counted.

And if Parcells doesn't know yet, it's a sure bet Nors doesn't either.
wink.gif

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Waffle said:
So this is your official prediction, eh?

Ok. But I agree with LTN that Parcells will not become a slave to his own system. If these rookies do a marginal to poor job picking up the scheme in TC and the pre-season, Parcells will go with a 4-3 base and play some 3-4 off that.

It's not an unreasonable proposition since these rookies were all 4-3 players in college (except "Patch" of course). Zimmer was told to learn the 3-4 because that defensive alignment, or some variation of it, will be in the mix.

Bottom Line: In a perfect world, BP would like to run the 3-4 as his base. But I guarantee Parcells doesn't know at this time if he's going to run a 3-4 base or a 4-3 base just yet. He will keep his options open. It's just too early to predict...like calling an election with less than 1% of the returns counted.

And if Parcells doesn't know yet, it's a sure bet Nors doesn't either.
wink.gif

I'm looking forward to rubbing Nors nose (you like that! "Nors nose") in some of his predictions. :)

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I'm looking forward to rubbing Nors nose (you like that! "Nors nose") in some of his predictions. :)

and there will be plenty of opportunities for that

David

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
We're nothing more than jesters I'm afraid. :)
Well, we may be, But Bill ain't ;) ..and I am having touble fitting Parcells into a Coslet/Hackett rigid "my way or no way" systems approach.

Even a coach as 'supposedly' rigid and uncompromising as Schottenheimer proved last year that a new twist on "Marty Ball" is possible.

But one with the rep for flexibility that Tuna has is going to make it ALL 3-4 at ALL costs?

Surely, Bill would never have gotten the name he has for maxing the potential of no-names or stars by forcing them into schemes ill-suited for them. The team isn't so talent laden yet he can jettison players willy nilly because they don't 'fit'.

The way to max out talent is to play both schemes, and I still suspect this year it will go 60-40 'homer' 4-3.

PS Mike, I don't want to hijack this thread but last nite NFL tv ran the AFC East years in review half hour programs. Very interesting how Bledsoe was spun in the Buffalo program. Every TD to Evans and Moulds was a great 'reception", not pass. In fact, the voice over mentioned the name Bledsoe just ONCE that I heard. There were voice unders from play by plays that mentioned him twice. He was the Invisible Man.

Typical, perhaps, for how these shows manage to rewrite history without the central figures when they'e been traded or released, but if Bledsoe saw that program, it would have to light another major fire under him. I found it so insulting it pained me on his behalf. It's one thing minimizing Vinny in the Dallas Review...he was brought in as a back up, ended up a very clear short term fix, and he didn't get the job done, despite the other problems. But flat out ignoring Drew in a winning-record year was a stab thru the heart...his tenure in Buffalo was a very different situation than VT's here.

Anyway, hijack aborted... :p:

Waffle

Not Just For Breakfast Anymore
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:

I like it!

However, He'll probably want to change the spelling to "Nors Knows."

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:
Well, we may be, But Bill ain't ;) ..and I am having touble fitting Parcells into a Coslet/Hackett rigid "my way or no way" systems approach.

Even a coach as 'supposedly' rigid and uncompromising as Schottenheimer proved last year that a new twist on "Marty Ball" is possible.

But one with the rep for flexibility that Tuna has is going to make it ALL 3-4 at ALL costs?

Surely, Bill would never have gotten the name he has for maxing the potential of no-names or stars by forcing them into schemes ill-suited for them. The team isn't so talent laden yet he can jettison players willy nilly because they don't 'fit'.

The way to max out talent is to play both schemes, and I still suspect this year it will go 60-40 'homer' 4-3.

PS Mike, I don't want to hijack this thread but last nite NFL tv ran the AFC East years in review half hour programs. Very interesting how Bledsoe was spun in the Buffalo program. Every TD to Evans and Moulds was a great 'reception", not pass. In fact, the voice over mentioned the name Bledsoe just ONCE that I heard. There were voice unders from play by plays that mentioned him twice. He was the Invisible Man.

Typical, perhaps, for how these shows manage to rewrite history without the central figures when they'e been traded or released, but if Bledsoe saw that program, it would have to light another major fire under him. I found it so insulting it pained me on his behalf. It's one thing minimizing Vinny in the Dallas Review...he was brought in as a back up, ended up a very clear short term fix, and he didn't get the job done, despite the other problems. But flat out ignoring Drew in a winning-record year was a stab thru the heart...his tenure in Buffalo was a very different situation than VT's here.

I agree all the way around.

Obviously Parcells isn't the inflexible buffoon Nors makes him out to be.

And Bledsoe does deserve some credit for the success Evans had last year. Bledsoe showed a lot of faith in Evans... and Bledsoe deserves credit for that. Not many vet QB's would do that. Aikman wasn't known for his trust of rookies.

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Yeah, NFL Films will do that when a player is no longer with the team. I guess the film is made for the fans of the team, and as we know well from around here, once a player don's another teams uniform... we don't want to know anything about him. The abandoned fans just don't care.

I can see them focusing on who caught the ball and who took the handoff.

Still, like you said... that couldn't help but be more salt in Bledsoe's considerable wounds.

You know he wants to succeed, if for no other reason that to show Buffalo they made a mistake going with Losman.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
AsthmaField said:
Yeah, NFL Films will do that when a player is no longer with the team. I guess the film is made for the fans of the team, and as we know well from around here, once a player don's another teams uniform... we don't want to know anything about him. The abandoned fans just don't care.

I can see them focusing on who caught the ball and who took the handoff.

Still, like you said... that couldn't help but be more salt in Bledsoe's considerable wounds.

You know he wants to succeed, if for no other reason that to show Buffalo they made a mistake going with Losman.

And Buffalo, particularly Losman want to prove the Bills are better without Bledsoe.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
And Buffalo, particularly Losman want to prove the Bills are better without Bledsoe.

2005 Bills...5-11 or worse IMO

David

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
:D
AsthmaField said:

Hijack attempt 2, ;)

I'm getting on his bandwagon now, AsthmaField.....which is hard for me as I never cared for him, and it has zero to do with the fact he was a divisional rival of the Jets. He's just always epitomized unrealized potential to me...elite talent diminished by refusal or inability to step up his game, (be it via improved footwork, study of defenses, commitment to improving timing, or just listening to his coaches when they tell him to look underneath), out of some overweening pride he was already a finished product.

But the fact he is the team's starter and offensive leader, therefore meriting support, coupled with the sympathy that is aroused by the kind of dissing I saw last night..it's giving me the base empathy for the player I need to fully get in his corner.

I want to see Henson sooner than later (and have FULL trust Bill will play him the second he becomes the most viable option), but I also want to see Bledsoe rubbing those noses in it (chief of whose is Tom Donahoe's ugly schnoz) BIG TIME.

A Bledsoe signature pic may be imminent. LOL

(sorry Mikey :D )

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
I agree all the way around.

Obviously Parcells isn't the inflexible buffoon Nors makes him out to be.

And Bledsoe does deserve some credit for the success Evans had last year. Bledsoe showed a lot of faith in Evans... and Bledsoe deserves credit for that. Not many vet QB's would do that. Aikman wasn't known for his trust of rookies.

Cut the BS - I've done nothing but acknowledge what a great coach Parcells is. Stop making stuff up. You wearing your jester outfit today you kidder you.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Nors said:
Cut the BS - I've done nothing but acknowledge what a great coach Parcells is. Stop making stuff up. You wearing your jester outfit today you kidder you.

Nors why don't you start another Trevor Pryce thread. :)

AsthmaField

Outta bounds
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Hijack attempt 2, ;)

I'm getting on his bandwagon now, AsthmaField.....which is hard for me as I never cared for him, and it has zero to do with the fact he was a divisional rival of the Jets. He's just always epitomized unrealized potential to me...elite talent diminished by refusal or inability to step up his game, (be it via improved footwork, study of defenses, commitment to improving timing, or just listening to his coaches when they tell him to look underneath), out of some overweening pride he was already a finished product.

But the fact he is the team's starter and offensive leader, therefore meriting support, coupled with the sympathy that is aroused by the kind of dissing I saw last night..it's giving me the base empathy for the player I need to fully get in his corner.

I want to see Henson sooner than later (and have FULL trust Bill will play him the second he becomes the most viable option), but I also want to see Bledsoe rubbing those noses in it (chief of whose is Tom Donahoe's ugly schnoz) BIG TIME.

I'm glad you're getting on.

I'm on there too... and not just because he's the QB of my favorite team either (although that plays a significant part).

No, the reason I'm in Bledsoe's corner can be summed up in twelve words:

Anthony Wright
Tony Banks
Quincy Carter
Chad Hutchinson
Ryan Leaf
Vinny Testaverde

Now, doesn't the words Drew Bledsoe look suddenly better?

He's the best we've had since Troy. I must admit that I'd be less excited about the prospect of Bledsoe running the offense if Parcells wasn't the coach. I think Big Bill will keep Bledsoe in line and keep him running the offense the way Parcells wants it ran.

We'll see... but I think he's going to do just fine.

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:

Hijack attempt 2, ;)

Bledsoe doesn't need support... he needs to play well.

Buffalo would have erected a statue to the SOB if he had pulled out the Pittsburgh game last year--- the fact is he came up small and was rode out of town on a rail.

I hope our season doesn't end up the same way.

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
and Bledsoe deserves credit for that. Not many vet QB's would do that. Aikman wasn't known for his trust of rookies.

Harper got opportunities didnt he? and I was at camp in 1992, Aikman had no problems throwing in Jimmy Smith's direction then (he was a rookie)...unfortunately he got hurt...

Evans was a high 1st rd pick, other than Harper, we never invested any high picks at WR...Kevin Williams was a mid 2nd rd pick but wasnt a very good NFL WR, in fact I still have vivid memories of Aikman and Irvin loudly chewing K-W out in the 1993 playoff game vs Green Bay for running a wrong route that resulted in a pick...Jimmy Smith never got a chance here due to injury, but if he had its safe to say he probably would have got some chances...

when your rookie options are guys like Cory Fleming, Stepfret Williams or Ed Hervey, how much trust do you expect a QB to have in them?

David

dbair1967

Arch Defender
Reaction score
AsthmaField said:
I'm glad you're getting on.

I'm on there too... and not just because he's the QB of my favorite team either (although that plays a significant part).

No, the reason I'm in Bledsoe's corner can be summed up in twelve words:

Anthony Wright
Tony Banks
Quincy Carter
Chad Hutchinson
Ryan Leaf
Vinny Testaverde

Now, doesn't the words Drew Bledsoe look suddenly better?

is that a truly pathetic list of previous starters or what?

** is right

David

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
dbair1967 said:
Harper got opportunities didnt he? and I was at camp in 1992, Aikman had no problems throwing in Jimmy Smith's direction then (he was a rookie)...unfortunately he got hurt...

Evans was a high 1st rd pick, other than Harper, we never invested any high picks at WR...Kevin Williams was a mid 2nd rd pick but wasnt a very good NFL WR, in fact I still have vivid memories of Aikman and Irvin loudly chewing K-W out in the 1993 playoff game vs Green Bay for running a wrong route that resulted in a pick...Jimmy Smith never got a chance here due to injury, but if he had its safe to say he probably would have got some chances...

when your rookie options are guys like Cory Fleming, Stepfret Williams or Ed Hervey, how much trust do you expect a QB to have in them?

David

I agree on Harper somewhat but he only had 20 catches for 1 TD his first year and 35 catches for 4 TD's his second. Evans I think had 48 catches for almost 1,000 yards and 9TD's. That is one nice rookie season.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Bledsoe doesn't need support... he needs to play well.

Buffalo would have erected a statue to the SOB if he had pulled out the Pittsburgh game last year--- the fact is he came up small and was rode out of town on a rail.

I hope our season doesn't end up the same way.
LMAO!
Anytime my feet start leaving Mother Earth, I can always count on you, Mike, to remind me of the laws of gravity.

Ok, let me rephrase.

I have confidence that TUNA will do enough bus building, and badger Drew sufficiently, that enough of the eight years of DB rust/obstinancy/lethargy can be removed to, if not resurrect the 1996 Drew Bledsoe, create a reasonable illusion of him.

Even if Tuna has to go back to 1993 rookie coaching mode, which means setting himself behind Drew in every practice, screaming, "throw it, throw it you stupid son-of-a-b" until the fear of Parcells offsets the ego-ridden desire to make a kill in the end zone resurfaces.

I doubt this season Bledsoe engages in anywhere near the ballpatting he did in recent years, even if Bill has to not just half the field for him, but quarter it.

I also have confidence Marco Rivera and Larry Allen aren't gonna take looking foolish lightly if Drew takes all day back there so he can look like the man on high light reels.

Uh uh, oh no.

Hijack...accomplished. :)