3-4 switch way overblown?

billknows

Reaction score
Nors said:
You 4-3 homers are in denial

Zimmer spent all offseason working 3-4
Many players have said its 3-4 (Ferguson of recent)
We drafted 3-4 type players
Jones said 3-4 this week actually

Parcells is a 3-4 coach and pissed off with defensive 4-3 suckage last year.

See Ellis tirade as further proof. And it wasn't a *** coach ELLIS RANT OF WHAT IS MY ROLE IN THE 4-3 THIS YEAR.!

3-4 move is in place and happening. What has the Ellis 4-3 ever really done for us? Glover will be a playa still in 3-4 and some 4-3.

Well there you go again nors. Bill will say anything just to have the first team we play underprepare in hopes of winning our first ,and most important game. 4-3 baby and the cat will be out of the bag by the second qtr of game 1...4-3 Holmes

Alexander

What's it going to be then, eh?
Reaction score
It is completely overblown.

I find it particularly amusing when some people try to take the personnel and state that Coach Parcells is forcing bad fits because he is obsessed with the defense.

Not every 3-4 is the same.

Moreover, this is not an either/or concept.

We-will-play-both-alignments.

As we have every season.

It is just this year, we will play it more because we have more of the types that fit it. It will not be until 2006 that you see the alignment as a pure base defense on every down.

But the hysteria that we are going to march out there with this defense with undersized players who are going to get dominated is simply the by-product of either ignorance or dementia.

Alexander

Reaction score
Nors said:
Add Coakley and Glenn as 3-4 defense move quotes

Glenn?

A cornerback signing signals a move to the 3-4?

That is a new one to me.:lmao2:

burmafrd

Reaction score
At best the 3-4 will be used half the time- AT BEST. BP in TC will observe how well we play it and will adjust his tactics in response. The better we are in it the more it will be played; the worse we are the less it will be played. Really very simple.
My personal belief is that we will play it somewhere between 25% and 33%. The rest of the time we will be in the 4-3 or some other variant.

Alexander

Reaction score
burmafrd said:
At best the 3-4 will be used half the time- AT BEST. BP in TC will observe how well we play it and will adjust his tactics in response. The better we are in it the more it will be played; the worse we are the less it will be played. Really very simple.
My personal belief is that we will play it somewhere between 25% and 33%. The rest of the time we will be in the 4-3 or some other variant.

Logically speaking, there is no other alternative.

The Patriots did not play it every down and took successive drafts until they got the pieces in place.

They had the LBers to begin with and had to wait for the right NT (Wilfork).

We are doing it the opposite. We got one or possibly two LBers and the NT, and if fortunate, the RDE in Canty. Now, next April, we will go LBer hunting.

But to imply that we take what we have and run the defense every down is really a bit insulting to Coach Parcells.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
dbair1967 said:
actually New England was using the 4-3 as a base defense in 2001 Nors...being Belechick fan I thought you would know that

and last yr against Philly, New England lined up alot more in even fronts than they did the 3-4

David

I know exactly what BELLICHECK did. He had a Base 4-3 and played 3-4 off that. He always mixes it up. In fact last year Pats only played 1 game out of Base 4-3. Eagles in Super Bowl!

We will play a Base 3-4 and play some 4-3 off that. Causes teams preparation problems. Where did Groz go? Keep defending that cheesy 4-3 cover 2.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Logically speaking, there is no other alternative.

The Patriots did not play it every down and took successive drafts until they got the pieces in place.

They had the LBers to begin with and had to wait for the right NT (Wilfork).

We are doing it the opposite. We got one or possibly two LBers and the NT, and if fortunate, the RDE in Canty. Now, next April, we will go LBer hunting.

But to imply that we take what we have and run the defense every down is really a bit insulting to Coach Parcells.

Actually Ted Washington was brought in before Wilfork and Traylor helped man it last year. Parcells has been gearing to this. HIS BIGGEST MISTAKE WAS NOT DOING IT FASTER.

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Alexander said:
Glenn?

A cornerback signing signals a move to the 3-4?

That is a new one to me.:lmao2:

Cornerbacks can talk, Glenn has been quoted about the 3-4 move Dallas is implementing.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Alexander said:

It most certainly IS insulting to him. A man who has made his career rep on adapting scheme to players, not vice versa. The most pragmatic of coaches all of a sudden a slave to his system?

Of course he wants the versatility, the schematic creativity playing both schemes, and multiple fronts, give you. It is irrelevant what D eventually becomes the base, as it is irrelevent in NE. Both are played well there, and with many variations.

But asking an Ellis to try and see what he can do in a 3-4 front certainly doesn't indicate a career of matching scheme to personnel, NOT forcing square pegs into round holes, is over.

Tuna will remain a pragmatist. The degree of 3-4 we see will depend on the personnel "getting it".

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Glad to hear that Ware, Burnett and Spears were "classic 3-4" players...

Nice "spin" Nors. :rolleyes:

Nors

Benched
Reaction score
Canty for sure
Go read up on Ware and Spears both projected as 3-4 Hybrids.
Parcells likes Burnett a lot. Said he can play both schemes I believe.

Is this your "last" and only 3-4 post? :LOL:

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
I know exactly what BELLICHECK did. He had a Base 4-3 and played 3-4 off that. He always mixes it up. In fact last year Pats only played 1 game out of Base 4-3. Eagles in Super Bowl!

We will play a Base 3-4 and play some 4-3 off that. Causes teams preparation problems. Where did Groz go? Keep defending that cheesy 4-3 cover 2.

Don't question him! He is the pats #1 fan!

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:
Tuna will remain a pragmatist. The degree of 3-4 we see will depend on the personnel "getting it".

That is exactly what will happen.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
MichaelWinicki said:
Glad to hear that Ware, Burnett and Spears were "classic 3-4" players...

Nice "spin" Nors. :rolleyes:
The thing that completely discredits him is that he fails to even admit these players could play in the 4-3.

That and the constant chest thumping is why he is ridiculed by so many. Sad.

junk

I've got moxie
Reaction score
Nors said:
Canty for sure
Go read up on Ware and Spears both projected as 3-4 Hybrids.
Parcells likes Burnett a lot. Said he can play both schemes I believe.

Is this your "last" and only 3-4 post? :LOL:

What the heck is a 3-4 hybrid? They were both 3-4 players that scouts thought might be able to play 3-4.

Until they do, they are 3-4 projects. Same for Burnett.

As much as you want to tout the draft as 3-4 players, other than Canty, this was a draft of versatile players.

If, down the road, the team is short LBers or a big NT, they can still play 4-3. That is what I like about the draft picks. Versatility.

Alexander

Reaction score
Hostile said:
The thing that completely discredits him is that he fails to even admit these players could play in the 4-3.

You mean Kevin Burnett is not Lavon Kirkland-esque?

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Hostile said:

And I ask, "How could that be?" since all these players excelled in the 4-3.

Nors is indeed the master of ignoring the obvious.

LaTunaNostra

He Made the Difference
Reaction score
Hostile said:

Spoken like the true 4-3 homer you are, TH. :laugh2:

Surely you know going back even as far as the gleam in their father's eyes, the master plan was to conceive, bear, raise, train, and present to Bill Parcells perfect specimens for the 3-4.

A whole master race of 3-4 supermen are walking amongst us.

But you 4-3 homers are too blind or dense to see it.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
LaTunaNostra said:

Surely you know going back even as far as the gleam in their father's eyes, the master plan was to conceive, bear, raise, train, and present to Bill Parcells perfect specimens for the 3-4.

:whip:

Oh beat me, whip me, make me feel cheap mistress of pain.

:grin:

MichaelWinicki

"You want some?"
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
LaTunaNostra said:

We're nothing more than jesters I'm afraid. :)