3/4- Who’s the pick?

cnuball21

Reaction score
Very well said. Unless someone reaches for an OT and someone really wants Lamar Jackson, we are picking a player with a 2nd round grade.

At 19? I doubt it...

Teams wills reach at QB and WR and a 1st round player will fall to us.

RandyOh

Reaction score
At 19? I doubt it...

Teams wills reach at QB and WR and a 1st round player will fall to us.
at 19 in some of the past drafts i agree. I'm not so confident this year. I really wish we would have not gone for the win in week 17. We would be in prime position to pickup someone like Ro smith or Derwin James.

ksg811

Reaction score
DJ Moore would be my pick. He’s the lone remaining player on my board with a first round grade (I have 16 1st round graded players).

DiResta

Reaction score
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Josh Allen
Baker Mayfield
Bradley Chubb
Saquan Barkley
Marcus Davenport
Vita Vea
DaRon Payne
Calvin Ridley
Quentin Nelson
Denzel Ward
Josh Jackson
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Tremaine Edmunds
Roquan Smith
Kolton Miller
Derwin James

These 18 are off the board. Who is your pick for the Cowboys? No trading.

good post

as said already I would strongly consider moving up maybe 4 spots for a couple of players
but no trading so
give me Wynn or Hernandez

i want Vander Esch but too early
i would move up in the 2nd or pick up another 2nd to get my lb and dt

unionjack8

Reaction score
CowboysZone LOYAL Fan
TE Dallas Goedert........taking the best TE off the table, forcing Witten snap reduction. Along with Beasley, this gives Dak another safety net that can get downfield. This pick can add just as much if not more offensive impact as WR ( still can pick round 3-4 ).

With four of the top five guards still on the table, one should still be 50.
I could be ok with this. Certainly over another OL

Hardline

Reaction score
TE Dallas Goedert........taking the best TE off the table, forcing Witten snap reduction. Along with Beasley, this gives Dak another safety net that can get downfield. This pick can add just as much if not more offensive impact as WR ( still can pick round 3-4 ).

With four of the top five guards still on the table, one should still be 50.
The Penn St. TE passed up Goedert on my list after the combine numbers.

Sydla

Reaction score
By the way, when you look at that list and see guys like James, Payne, Vea hovering around 15-18, that’s why beating the Eagles that last game was dumb.

Verdict

Reaction score
I feel pretty confident that Ridley, Jackson and Kolton Miller will not be gone by 19.

Yes, I said Ridley.

Ridley sort of reminds me of a Treadwell type of player. Highest rated receiver that should go in a later round.

DiResta

Reaction score
The reason for this is because our LG position has a pretty large hole in it. So, why not get one of the best guards in the draft? I'd go either Hernandez or Wynn, but I prefer Hernandez. The point is, he would fill the void of LG that we've had since Leary left (though, Cooper did fill in admirably). Hernandez gives us sheer power at the LG position which will allows our oline to sweep helpless dlinemen out of the way resulting in our running game becoming so lethal that we can run it any time and any where on the field that we like.
this is sorta the way i see it also

i get that these guards are a bit too early and i do believe that some of these guys like Landry or other de might end up being great
but i dont want to screw up this pick and this year at 19 theres no sure thing unless someone slides
i want to go defense the 1st 3 picks

but i believe Wynn will start day 1 and make the line much better
its just a safe pick i guess where as some are gambling that the talent they see will pan out

on the other hand what if Dallas loses one of their all pro interior linemen for a stretch? going guard early would look great then

Verdict

Reaction score
I was looking at Mayock's top 5 OGs. All 5 are fairly highly rated players. What are the chances that one or more will still be on the board when our second round pick comes around?

In most years you would say pretty good. Nelson, Daniels, Wynn, Hernandez will likely be gone. Will Price fall that far with his minor pectoral tear?

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score

i get that these guards are a bit too early and i do believe that some of these guys like Landry or other de might end up being great
but i dont want to screw up this pick and this year at 19 theres no sure thing unless someone slides

its just a safe pick i guess where as some are gambling that the talent they see will pan out

on the other hand what if Dallas loses one of their all pro interior linemen for a stretch? going guard early would look great then

That's part of my take on it. Wynn and Hernandez are the safe picks. Remember back in 2014 when we picked Martin despite a plethora of other options? Remember when it was confusing because a guard may not have been necessary at that time? Well, look how that turned out for us. Same goes for Frederick the year before. Would 19 be early for a guard? Maybe. But, while draft picks are hardly a guarantee, I like our chances of success better with a guard like Wynn or Hernandez. Not to mention that, as we've seen, that sets the tone for the entire team. Not to mention that our LG position is thin. Cooper's a FA, and Chaz Green sucks. So, let's do this right and get a LG which would give us 2 insanely good guards.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
Preach it!!

I agree. Had we lost the game to Philly, we'd have better options available on defense. However, that's water under the bridge at this point. Let's do what we can with what we have available. What I see that we have available is an opportunity to have an offensive line looking like this:

LT: Tyron Smith
LG: Hernandez or Wynn
C: Frederick
RG: Martin
RT: Collins

That's a very formidable front, if you ask me. This sort of line allows us to absolutely gash other teams. It benefits our defense in 2 ways. Firstly, it obviously helps us in TOP which is critical. Dominate Time of Possession, and your defense benefits significantly. Secondly, it helps break the rhythm of opposing offenses. As we gash their defense and dominate control of the ball, their offense, obviously, has less time with the ball. This prevents them from sparking an ingame rhythym. Thus, our defense is at an advantage here.

Offensively, we know and have seen what such an offensive line can do for us. So, while, again, I understand our need for defense, Hernandez or Wynn would benefit our entire team. We can address the defense and Wide Receiver later in the draft, but we need to maintain our powerful offensive line. It's the engine of our team. Furthermore, drafting Hernandez or Wynn at 19 gives us the 5th year option. It gives us 5 years of maintaining the LG position.

RandyOh

Reaction score

I don’t see taking another interior lineman in the 1st having a big impact on the wins column. Is it the safe way to go? Sure Wynn or Hernandez will do their job at a high level and neither look like busts. Its why I see them as prospects im not pounding the table for but wouldn’t be mad if we took them either but, you can’t play it safe all the time. We are already going to play it safe during free agency. Playing it completely safe in the draft as well is not going to lead to anything better then a 2nd round exit in the playoffs.

RustyBourneHorse

Reaction score
I don’t see taking another interior lineman in the 1st having a big impact on the wins column. Is it the safe way to go? Sure Wynn or Hernandez will do their job at a high level and neither look like busts. Its why I see them as prospects im not pounding the table for but wouldn’t be mad if we took them either but, you can’t play it safe all the time. We are already going to play it safe during free agency. Playing it completely safe in the draft as well is not going to lead to anything better then a 2nd round exit in the playoffs.

I agree to an extent about what you're saying, but, who do we have at LG that's worth anything?

RandyOh

Reaction score
I agree to an extent about what you're saying, but, who do we have at LG that's worth anything?
Just like everyone is saying their are good day 2 WRs or their are good day 2 DTs just take them in the 2nd rounder 3rd rounds, same can be said for interior linemen. If Green is a waste of a roster spot like most say(which I agree he is) and Cooper is not that much more of an upgrade (which I think people have been playing it up a bit to justify their love of Wynn or Hernandez) then a 2nd or 3rd round OG is still very much an upgrade to what we have at Guard right?

Also we will not be going into the draft without someone who can start at LG. Either Cooper or a vet like Josh Sitton who is a starter quality guard will be signed. Our FO does some questionable things but they are not total morons

DFWJC

Reaction score
Why not Moore?
You know how I feel about that one brother.
Massive and unecessary reach
Imo

I get that the pickings are a bit slim value-wise, so a trade down make sense.
Since thats not an option, Im leaning towards Landry.
Hell, you might be able to get Moore at 50:muttley: