3/4- Who’s the pick?

Johnny23

Reaction score
As per the exercize I am taking Evans the Linebacker from Alabama. I don't care what anyone says, I'm taking a chance on this kid and playing him seeing how it plays out at Mike. He is what Schlreteh calls a Football Playin' Jessie. I think that would be a good player for us. I have no issue taking him. I think people are infatuated with WRs like more and skill position players. We need to improve defensively and DJ Moore, Ridley, or everyone's flavor of the week WR who they would take round one is going to chance the fact that when teams get ready to run on us they can not be stopped. Screw Goedert, Moore, or any offensive lineman, give me a LB like Evans, Edmunds, or Smith round one and a DT like Settle in round two. Call it a day. Let''s get down and dirty on defense.

Johnny23

Reaction score
What you are posting by doesn't make a lot of sense. The team who wanted to lose more lost. We are drafting three spots lower as a result. We couldn't even lose right. That win cost us 3 draft spots ----in seven rounds.
Dude... What lost prime draft slots was trying to right the ship before the last game. When ya'll wanted to throw in the towel when Zeke was out. THAT is the issue. Not the easy scapegoat Philly game.

Verdict

Reaction score
Dude... What lost prime draft slots was trying to right the ship before the last game. When ya'll wanted to throw in the towel when Zeke was out. THAT is the issue. Not the easy scapegoat Philly game.

I don't know who "y'all" is or even what you are trying to say. I was not in the camp of those who wanted to throw in the towel when Zeke went out, although I do understand that if we knew we were not going to get in the playoffs it would be best for draft position to lose every game after you know you are not getting in.

I am talking about the last game specifically. We knew we were not getting in so I would have found a way to lose that game. I would have used the explanation we were using the game to "evaluate" young players. Hell I might would have even "tried" Dez at defensive tackle just to give him the business for sucking g so badly for 3 full years.

Johnny23

Reaction score
I don't know who "y'all" is or even what you are trying to say. I was not in the camp of those who wanted to throw in the towel when Zeke went out, although I do understand that if we knew we were not going to get in the playoffs it would be best for draft position to lose every game after you know you are not getting in.

I am talking about the last game specifically. We knew we were not getting in so I would have found a way to lose that game. I would have used the explanation we were using the game to "evaluate" young players. Hell I might would have even "tried" Dez at defensive tackle just to give him the business for sucking g so badly for 3 full years.
Fair enough. I lumped you in with a group of people I would see on the official message board who said similiar things that wanted the team to go full on tank after the Chargers game. It was hard to see us trying to win more as much as sucking less. It was just a horrible game, I feel like the biggest mistake was exposing Zeke and playing him in that game.

Verdict

Reaction score
Fair enough. I lumped you in with a group of people I would see on the official message board who said similiar things that wanted the team to go full on tank after the Chargers game. It was hard to see us trying to win more as much as sucking less. It was just a horrible game, I feel like the biggest mistake was exposing Zeke and playing him in that game.

It was idiotic for any of the key Cowboys to play in that game and risk being injured for 2018 for literally nothing. In fact it was better for us to lose that game.

The only thing I can see is that Jones needed to be better than 8 and 8 because of the need to "sell" that we are getting better and Garrett isn't an 8 and 8 coach.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
In this scenario, I'm going BPA and getting Leighton Vander Esch. Great tape, unreal athleticism, he's the rare breed of Mike you need to play in a Tampa 2 style scheme.

Other players in consideration would be Harold Landry, Isiah Wynn, and Taven Bryan if we let Irving go. I'd think about Sam Hubbard too if we didn't already have two LE types on the roster.

Sydla

Reaction score
In this scenario, I'm going BPA and getting Leighton Vander Esch. Great tape, unreal athleticism, he's the rare breed of Mike you need to play in a Tampa 2 style scheme.

Other players in consideration would be Harold Landry, Isiah Wynn, and Taven Bryan if we let Irving go. I'd think about Sam Hubbard too if we didn't already have two LE types on the roster.

One, we don't play nearly as much Tampa 2 as people think.

Two, I don't see how Vander Esch is BPA at 19.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
By the way, when you look at that list and see guys like James, Payne, Vea hovering around 15-18, that’s why beating the Eagles that last game was dumb.

So you're suggesting they should have intentionally loss the game for ONE player we THINK may be an impact player? Think about what you are saying? You'd be hard press to find any player that cares about an April draft during the regular season. Especially enough to quit on each other and throw a couple a game.Guessing you're not serious.......

Sydla

Reaction score
So you're suggesting they should have intentionally loss the game for ONE player we THINK may be an impact player? Think about what you are saying? You'd be hard press to find any player that cares about an April draft during the regular season. Especially enough to quit on each other and throw a couple a game.Guessing you're not serious.......

I am saying that winning the game might screw us. That's just reality. Whatever you want to make of it, have at it.

Parcells4Life

Reaction score
Hernandez. He’s Vita Vea on offense.

I want no part of Ridley. He’s 24 and tested in the 7th percentile of his peers. That’s awful.

He’s JAG to me. I’d rather have Moore, Brown, Sutton or Washington before him.

Also unless Tyron says he’s not coming back, no thank you a swing OT in 1st.

As a G Wynn seems light at 311. Plus he had shoulder surgery after the senior bowl. Can his body hold up?

Sydla

Reaction score

I want no part of Ridley. He’s 24 and tested in the 7th percentile of his peers. That’s awful.

As a G Wynn seems light at 311. Plus he had shoulder surgery after the senior bowl. Can his body hold up?

Zach Martin weighed in at 308 at the combine. Wynn's weight is not an issue.

McKDaddy

Reaction score

Hernandez would be a good (maybe great) G, but he wouldn't give you flexibility at any other position. Wynn does. He helps solve more than one issue with a single pick. That is the deciding point for me.

Ridley - I was surprised & disappointed by how he tested. However, tape rules. I have no idea why anyone cares about his age. 3 years older than most of his peers means 3 yrs more mature. If you draft in the first, you have rights to his services til he's 29. Signing a new 3-4 year extension isn't that big an issue for a receiver at that age.

Hawkeye0202

Reaction score
Good to see........like I said in earlier post if a couple other targets are gone, the best value may be taking the best and first TE.
Jason is year-to-year and now would be a good time to get his replacement. He gets to sit behind Witten for a minute and we can start seriously reducing his snaps. Hell, even Jason said he wouldn't have a problem with drafting a top TE.

https://247sports.com/nfl/dallas-co...with-top-TE-prospect-Dallas-Goedert-115757613
Report: Cowboys met with top TE prospect Dallas Goedert
This makes it clear the team is still in the hunt for a true successor to Jason Witten.
6_5039904.jpg

(Photo: SDSU Athletics)

Dallas meets Dallas.

It's no secret the Cowboys are and should be in the market for a tight end in the 2018 NFL Draft, even if Jason Witten continues to wind up and punch Father Time right in the face. With the future Hall of Famer entering his 16th season, the reality is he can't (right?) play forever and after multiple attempts to identify his successor over the years, the team still sits at square one. Veterans James Hanna and Geoff Swaim are both entering contract years and rookie Blake Jarwin is unproven at the NFL level as is Rico Gathers, the long-shot sixth-round pick now entering his third year without having played a single regular season snap.

**Follow @VoiceOfTheStar on Twitter for up-to-the-second news and analysis!**

This all in mind, the team reportedly met with South Dakota State standout Dallas Goedert(now you get the opening line, yes?) at the NFL Combine, who says it'd be his pleasure to learn behind Witten.

“Being a No. 2 tight end behind a future Hall of Famer like [Jason Witten] would be an incredible experience," said the former Jackrabbit, via Jon Machota of The Dallas Morning News. "Learning behind one of the best ever, that would be really cool.”

Goedert was redshirted as a freshman and worked his way up to a breakout season in 2016 that saw him reel in 1,293 yards and 11 touchdowns, his production dipping only slightly in 2017 while still putting up a very respectable 1,111 yards receiving alongside seven touchdowns. And while his physical measurables are far from that of the specimen known as Gathers, they're right on par with the 6-foot-6, 263 lb. Witten.

waving monkey

Reaction score
Isaiah Wynn,OG-Georgia.----------
DJ Moore
Leighton Vander Esch

I have my doubts that FO will use a 1st on OL. But that's my first wish or Hernandez.
Since I'm of the school that the biggest reason for last years troubles was offense then
WR is my consolation first round pick.
If LVE keeps impressing between now and the draft I'd consider him 1st because it's a good
middle 2nd and 3rd round draft for guards and WR.
OK ,Leighton Vander Esch it is in the first.

Last edited:

Dalmations202

Reaction score
If Collins is resigned then I am leaning towards Harrison Phillips or Tim Settle.
If Poe is signed and not Collins, then I lean towards Hernandez or Wynn.
If Collins and Poe are signed via FA, then I lean towards LVE or Evans.

If not, then I lean towards Moore.

Major consideration on what they do via FA.

ferrispata

Reaction score
Pat Kirwan mentioned DJ Chark the other day as a good option to replace Dez at the X receiver. He didn't think Christian Kirk fit the #1 role. For Chark, at 6-3 and with his performance at combine, it could have pushed him into the first. Would like him in the 2nd though.

bpfred

Reaction score
Sam Darnold
Josh Rosen
Josh Allen
Baker Mayfield
Bradley Chubb
Saquan Barkley
Marcus Davenport
Vita Vea
DaRon Payne
Calvin Ridley
Quentin Nelson
Denzel Ward
Josh Jackson
Minkah Fitzpatrick
Tremaine Edmunds
Roquan Smith
Kolton Miller
Derwin James

These 18 are off the board. Who is your pick for the Cowboys? No trading.
For me it comes down to Isiah Wynn, Will Hernandez, and Taven Bryan. I go with Bryan. DL is a harder position to fill, and Bryan's upside is too much to pass. I try to get a guard later. And I really like Wynn and Hernandez. I don't think there is that much of a physical difference between Nelson and Hernandez. There may be a difference in technique, and level of competition, but not that much physical difference.

Tristan

Reaction score
Hernandez or Wynn whomever our fo grades higher as theyve been great at picking ol high lately so Id give them the benefit of the doubt.

I prefer Hernandez although I like Wynns versitity and robot like technique.

It comes down to this with me, which player would I least like to see the Eagles, Giants or Wash draft? They guy you least want to play against is the guy I want! Last year I felt that way about Hooker, as much as I hated seeing or rivals get Allen and Barnett, Hooker was the guy I feared the most best ball hawk ive seen since Sanders.'
This year the guy is Hernandez

Plankton

Reaction score
Clearly the Cowboys will pass, because there are no players left at 19.

All kidding aside, I look at the following (considering that there are no trade downs allowed):
  1. Isaiah Wynn - can play both guard and tackle in a pinch, despite not being the desired height.
  2. James Daniels - can play both guard and center. Would be a very solid left guard who can cover if Frederick is injured.
  3. Mike McGlinchey - can play RT, and Collins goes back to LG.
  4. Rashaan Evans - won't impress the physical testing crowd, but adds attitude and hitting ability to the LB corps.