3 FA Targets at DT

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Not when you get molly whopped by the 7th seed.

In your own house.
That’s exactly why I said that loss was pathetic and disappointing. As bad as it was however it doesn’t discount the fact that the team is very good and has an opportunity to get to the next level if management makes the right decisions this off-season and our players can take ownership and grow from the failure of Green Bay.

Green Bay was also much better than you give them credit for…for they had San Fran on its heels and came into the game against us as one of the hotter teams in the league. Doesn’t make the loss to them any better but the cowboys were in the hunt and in position for a Lombardi this year.

StarBoyz83

Reaction score
Dallas will resign Hankins and I doubt any dts that are more than camp bodies are brought in.

Chasing6

Reaction score
You're moving the goal posts.

The Cowboys, under McCarthy have shown they cannot compete with the playoff teams. 12-20 against teams that were in the playoffs the season they played. Whether you want to blame it on Dak, Jerry, the refs, it falls on the head coach.

They are not a championship caliber team even though their roster is as talented as any in the league. Beating up on non-playoff teams does not make you a consistent championship contender. The more this keeps happening, the bigger the hurdle it becomes in overcoming it with their next opportunity.
KC was 11-6.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Then figure out how to stop the run.
That's not my intention, nor my job. I'm mainly concerned with being entertained by following the Cowboys' team. Is that okay with you? ;)

I'll be perfectly content with allowing the Cowboys' ownership and management with performing their tasks in a fairly workable manner. :)

Last edited:

conner01

Reaction score
What type of DT do you expect them to sign and where does a bigger name DT fit into the roster though? Would they cut Mazi after just one season? If its a true run first play I struggle to see them keeping 3 of those types on the roster. Is Osa headed to the bench if they bring in more of a 3T? Opinions on the guy are all over the place so it's possible, but personally I don't see a massive upgrade out there unless you're actually making a Chris Jones type of run.

I'd love to be wrong here, but I just dont see the roster spots available if they bring Hankins back....even though those roster spots may not be secure for the right reasons.
Cutting mazi would be silly. Get him back to his real playing weight, coach him how to get off the snap quicker. Osa is a really good player so he’s gonna be in the rotation. I’d bring back Hankins and add a FA run stuffer type. If you can get one that has some pass rush skills even better. I’d a vet LB in FA and draft one. I’d try to keep Gilmore if possible and draft a CB.
I’d draft or sign a center but I’d really look at the draft prospects. There are a couple of pretty good prospects in this draft. I’d add a vet RB. The idea being you don’t have to draft for need. Just draft the best players who fit a need now or next year. I’d bring Tyron back on a similar deal as last year. The more he plays the more he makes.

Chasing6

Reaction score
What type of DT do you expect them to sign and where does a bigger name DT fit into the roster though? Would they cut Mazi after just one season? If its a true run first play I struggle to see them keeping 3 of those types on the roster. Is Osa headed to the bench if they bring in more of a 3T? Opinions on the guy are all over the place so it's possible, but personally I don't see a massive upgrade out there unless you're actually making a Chris Jones type of run.

I'd love to be wrong here, but I just dont see the roster spots available if they bring Hankins back....even though those roster spots may not be secure for the right reasons.
I think this year we should do the opposite of last year. Lets draft a quick twitch, penetrating DT, that gets after the QB and ask him to gain 30+ pounds and become a run stuffer.

Then we can say he is a bust after year 1.

Big_D

Reaction score
I have faith that Zimmer will finally be able to find us a DT worth a dam. Finally a long term fix. Plus I'm hoping he can get the best out of Smith.

1942willys

Reaction score
I think this year we should do the opposite of last year. Lets draft a quick twitch, penetrating DT, that gets after the QB and ask him to gain 30+ pounds and become a run stuffer.

Then we can say he is a bust after year 1.
that whole weight loss thing boggles the mind

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Right now it is a new season and we are adding players to a number 2 team.
The Cowboys' power rating is 76.4, which is dead center of all the NFL teams in terms of their power rating.

It leaves much to be desired. Like most of us here, I'd like to see more. Rose-colored vision isn't the answer.

Chasing6

Reaction score
The Cowboys' power rating is 76.4, which is dead center of all the NFL teams in terms of their power rating.

It leaves much to be desired. Like most of us here, I'd like to see more. Rose-colored vision isn't the answer.
I could care less about power ratings.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
Cutting mazi would be silly. Get him back to his real playing weight, coach him how to get off the snap quicker. Osa is a really good player so he’s gonna be in the rotation. I’d bring back Hankins and add a FA run stuffer type. If you can get one that has some pass rush skills even better. I’d a vet LB in FA and draft one. I’d try to keep Gilmore if possible and draft a CB.
I’d draft or sign a center but I’d really look at the draft prospects. There are a couple of pretty good prospects in this draft. I’d add a vet RB. The idea being you don’t have to draft for need. Just draft the best players who fit a need now or next year. I’d bring Tyron back on a similar deal as last year. The more he plays the more he makes.
No major issues, I'm pretty much in favor with your plan, I just remain skeptical they'll use 3 roster spots on run first DTs in Hankins, Mazi, and another DT. I very well could be wrong though if that's the main point of emphasis for this defense this offseason.

Chasing6

Reaction score
No major issues, I'm pretty much in favor with your plan, I just remain skeptical they'll use 3 roster spots on run first DTs in Hankins, Mazi, and another DT. I very well could be wrong though if that's the main point of emphasis for this defense this offseason.
Should be to add an impact DT that can stop the run and push the pockets. That would be an all in type of move.

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
I could care less about power ratings.
If you could care less about them, you must be somewhat in favor of 'em!:thumbup:
It appears reasonably clear the English language is tricky for some of us. :muttley:

Last edited: