3 FA Targets at DT

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
I doubt that. I do think they bring back Hankins but I expect them to also sign a dt
What type of DT do you expect them to sign and where does a bigger name DT fit into the roster though? Would they cut Mazi after just one season? If its a true run first play I struggle to see them keeping 3 of those types on the roster. Is Osa headed to the bench if they bring in more of a 3T? Opinions on the guy are all over the place so it's possible, but personally I don't see a massive upgrade out there unless you're actually making a Chris Jones type of run.

I'd love to be wrong here, but I just dont see the roster spots available if they bring Hankins back....even though those roster spots may not be secure for the right reasons.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
1 and 2 over the last 2. Hopefully, turns into 4 and 2 after next year.
It just seems like many here want the credit of winning 37 games over the last 3 years but don't want the accountability of falling short in the playoffs. Your post was comparing them to the Chiefs as some sort of validation.

The Chiefs are 9-1 in the playoffs over that same period. The Cowboys are 1-3.

These things are not the same.

rambo2

Reaction score
It just seems like many here want the credit of winning 37 games over the last 3 years but don't want the accountability of falling short in the playoffs. Your post was comparing them to the Chiefs as some sort of validation.

The Chiefs are 9-1 in the playoffs over that same period. The Cowboys are 1-3.

These things are not the same.
They could be close to the same if Dallas gets over the hump next year. Regardless of all the doom and gloom and bitterness out there, the Cowboys are still at the top of the hill in the NFC. It isn't a given that they will get beat again. They have one last shot with McCarthy.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Now do playoffs...
They have to translate the regular season success to post season success we all know that and get that. It doesn’t mean however you disregard the fact that the team has won a lot of regular seasons wins and put themselves in position to compete for a Lombardi.

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
Sky Steele looks at 3 possible DT FA signings, a good show. I'll link it here for ya to watch but of these 3 who would you like?

Raekwon Davis
A'Shawn Robinson
Daquan Jones

Keep in mind they likely will not be spending what it takes to get a Chris Jones or DJ Reader.

I like A'Shawn. Had a career year last year with Giants. Davis is interesting too at 26, if he comes in gets coached up and shows out he could be a good longer piece addition to the rotation.

I wanted Robinson to be drafted by Dallas. Over the last 3 years he's averaged about 60 tackles. Has only about 1 sack per year but has had 5 forced fumbles over his 8 years, not bad.

Davis looks to be a classic underachiever. Poor stats, even for a NT. Also, he's 6-6 (per his NFL draft profile, 6-7 per PFR), that's too tall for a DT. and a 5.12 forty is obviously not near fast enough for DE. 4 years in the league, to me he's a bust, and the Cowboys don't have the luxury of taking a "maybe we can turn him around" player.

Jones is 32. HIs stats are mediocre, does average a bit over 1 sack a year, but not really that much better than Robinson. Less tackles per year than Hankins, though.

If it was up to me, providing the Cowboys can pay it, I'd go with Robinson, to get the consistent tackling and the bit younger age than either of the other 2 above, and Hankins as well. But he may want too much $$, in which case I'd just stick with Hankins if he'll sign reasonably. IF Mazi can improve, Hankins can go to backup/parttime, and he's already familiar with the scheme and the other players.

Just don't see he's worse enough, if at all, than the 3 above to justify paying more money and taking a risk on a new player..

LACowboysFan1

Reaction score
I’ll pass on those 3 on that list. None of those guys would do much of anything to change this defense. We need true difference makers.
Don't think Dallas can afford what any "true difference maker" would cost.

But if they can, yeah, we don't need more JAGS, we have enough of those....

Chasing6

Reaction score
I feel like he's going to get paid to stay in Miami. I'd love it though.
Most likely, but was reading they can't afford him, since they tagged him last year. Although the extra cap money probably changed all of that.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
1-3 in the playoffs is NOT competing for a Lombardi.
2 of the losses were to the 49ers- a team that is the class of the conference and were coin flip games. Secondly, You can’t compete for a Lombardi if you’re not in the playoffs for starters, being a 2 seed with 2 home games in the playoffs before a championship game is putting yourself in position to compete for a Lombardi. Being in position for a 1 seed in the conference every year with home field advantage throughout is positioning yourself to compete for a Lombardi.

The packers loss was a massive failure and disappointment but the cowboys have been in the hunt for the last 3 years. Now they need to do whatever’s possible to get over the hump both players and management but being a consistent playoff contender who wins double digit games every year absolutely matters.

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
2 of the losses were to the 49ers- a team that is the class of the conference and were coin flip games. Secondly, You can’t compete for a Lombardi if you’re not in the playoffs for starters, being a 2 seed with 2 home games in the playoffs before a championship game is putting yourself in position to compete for a Lombardi. Being in position for a 1 seed in the conference every year with home field advantage throughout is positioning yourself to compete for a Lombardi.

The packers loss was a massive failure and disappointment but the cowboys have been in the hunt for the last 3 years. Now they need to do whatever’s possible to get over the hump both players and management but being a consistent playoff contender who wins double digit games every year absolutely matters.
You're moving the goal posts.

The Cowboys, under McCarthy have shown they cannot compete with the playoff teams. 12-20 against teams that were in the playoffs the season they played. Whether you want to blame it on Dak, Jerry, the refs, it falls on the head coach.

They are not a championship caliber team even though their roster is as talented as any in the league. Beating up on non-playoff teams does not make you a consistent championship contender. The more this keeps happening, the bigger the hurdle it becomes in overcoming it with their next opportunity.

1942willys

Reaction score

the losses to the 49rs were not coin flip games
No Dallas HAS NOT BEEN IN THE HUNT because we fail in the playoffs
Being in the hunt would be making it to the Championship game
Bottom line is the current situation needs a lot more then we have now to actually CONTEND and not PRETEND
BUT it seems we are going to have to be content with small steps

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
the losses to the 49rs were not coin flip games
No Dallas HAS NOT BEEN IN THE HUNT because we fail in the playoffs
Being in the hunt would be making it to the Championship game
Bottom line is the current situation needs a lot more then we have now to actually CONTEND and not PRETEND
BUT it seems we are going to have to be content with small steps
If the losses to the 49ers weren’t coin flip games then you’re proving my point even more so thank you- which is that the only real disappointing loss in the playoffs in the McCarthy era was the packer game.

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
You're moving the goal posts.

The Cowboys, under McCarthy have shown they cannot compete with the playoff teams. 12-20 against teams that were in the playoffs the season they played. Whether you want to blame it on Dak, Jerry, the refs, it falls on the head coach.

They are not a championship caliber team even though their roster is as talented as any in the league. Beating up on non-playoff teams does not make you a consistent championship contender. The more this keeps happening, the bigger the hurdle it becomes in overcoming it with their next opportunity.
They beat 3 playoff teams last year including the lions who made the championship game but I’m sure you’ll find a way to dismiss that to fit your perspective. I also never said they were. A championship team yet I actually said in my other post they aren’t on the tier of a San Fran, kc or Baltimore.

I said they have been in the hunt and have been a contender. If you’re the 2 seed in the conference you are a contender.

1942willys

Reaction score
If the losses to the 49ers weren’t coin flip games then you’re proving my point even more so thank you- which is that the only real disappointing loss in the playoffs in the McCarthy era was the packer game.
Your definition of coin flip games is rather bad

1942willys

Reaction score
When you have as poor a record in the playoffs as we have had the last three years then boasting about winning regular season games is pathetic
basically that is someone that is proud of participation trophies

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
Your definition of coin flip games is rather bad
It was in the context of the perception here that the cowboys playoffs losses in this era under McCarthy have been disappointments in games they should have won. They haven’t. The San Fran game was a coin flip game at best and that’s being generous as San Fran was the better team and still is. We weren’t supposed to just run them over. The only disappointment has been Green Bay.

Try following along if you’re gonna play. That’s 2x you’ve tried to catch me and have failed

CTcowboy203

Reaction score
When you have as poor a record in the playoffs as we have had the last three years then boasting about winning regular season games is pathetic
basically that is someone that is proud of participation trophies
No one is boasting about them we are using that as a basis for other people to understand that while we haven’t had the playoff success we have wanted the team is still good and competitive and with the right roster moves can get over the hump and it doesn’t mean they suck or are so far away.

Pretty simple stuff