3 fatal front office flaws

links18

Reaction score
I am not even getting into the root of the problem, who runs it.

There is a 4th fatal flaw. They see no reason to address 1-3 because true evaluation begins with self-evaluation. Good enough is good enough.

You could have started at 4 and left it there...

Jake

Beyond tired of Jerry
Reaction score
This front office only considers adding players when they have injuries or really poor playing and it has to be really poor. Upgrading never crosses their minds because they like their guys so much. What they are really saying is that they really like themselves so much.

giphy.gif

Loso86

Reaction score

1) Poor talent evaluation in free agency and the draft. You can have all of the McClay love you want, past the 1st round and in free agency, he is mediocre or they ignore him. OL 1st rounders? Nothing but net. After the 1st round? Airballs.

2) Satisfaction with just satisfactory results from coaching and players. They announce they are ready every season and how much they like their guys to the point of poor evaluation when rewarding them with a new contract and you can bet on it, they’re getting ready to do that again.

Real front offices, ones with jobs on the line, can never be satisfied. Both of the participants at the Big Dance continued to improve their teams and they both got meaningful contributions from those players and maybe if Beckham doesn’t get injured he is the MVP? The only other owner/GM in the league gave his people their assignment, fix that defense.

This front office only considers adding players when they have injuries or really poor playing and it has to be really poor. Upgrading never crosses their minds because they like their guys so much. What they are really saying is that they really like themselves so much.

3) Poor planning, if there really is any planning at all. This team continually gets caught off guard, with the cap, because of reason number 1. The Rams didn’t end up at the Big Dance by luck but by design and leaving no stone unturned and they were never satisfied. They traded for Stafford and Miller and added Beckham and do not make it without those moves.

There is a 4th fatal flaw. They see no reason to address 1-3 because true evaluation begins with self-evaluation. Good enough is good enough.
The first is not true, you can't pick and choose what year they aren't good. Most if not all players acquired this year played a big factor in this team. Besides a handful of people I would take the Cowboys roster 9ver the Bengals AND Rams.

Loso86

Reaction score

1) Poor talent evaluation in free agency and the draft. You can have all of the McClay love you want, past the 1st round and in free agency, he is mediocre or they ignore him. OL 1st rounders? Nothing but net. After the 1st round? Airballs.

2) Satisfaction with just satisfactory results from coaching and players. They announce they are ready every season and how much they like their guys to the point of poor evaluation when rewarding them with a new contract and you can bet on it, they’re getting ready to do that again.

Real front offices, ones with jobs on the line, can never be satisfied. Both of the participants at the Big Dance continued to improve their teams and they both got meaningful contributions from those players and maybe if Beckham doesn’t get injured he is the MVP? The only other owner/GM in the league gave his people their assignment, fix that defense.

3) Poor planning, if there really is any planning at all. This team continually gets caught off guard, with the cap, because of reason number 1. The Rams didn’t end up at the Big Dance by luck but by design and leaving no stone unturned and they were never satisfied. They traded for Stafford and Miller and added Beckham and do not make it without those moves.

And 3 it's not a planning issue. It use to be WAY worse. Honestly number 1 is effected by number 3 and SJ mindset when it comes to FA and beyond and not wanting to spend money. Because if it doesn't work as well as the Rams did you will end up like Philly a few years back or looking like the Saints AND Packers now

CapnCook

Reaction score
…..make the results of Cowboys games about .0007% of things you consider important in your life.

I treat the results or importance of a cowboys game much like buying a watermelon. Sometimes you cut it open and it’s a winner and sometimes it’s a loser……either way, I don’t ask for my money back or lose sleep over it.
I open a bad watermelon and I lose my mind. ;)

Good approach.

morat1959

Reaction score
…..make the results of Cowboys games about .0007% of things you consider important in your life.

I treat the results or importance of a cowboys game much like buying a watermelon. Sometimes you cut it open and it’s a winner and sometimes it’s a loser……either way, I don’t ask for my money back or lose sleep over it.
Nailed it!

john van brocklin

Captain Comeback
Reaction score

Yes Sir,
It's so ironic that most serious fans see this , but the upper management of the Cowboys does not.
You have to wonder if the Jones have anybody they trust speaking truth to them???

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
The entire Cowboys' organization is governed by the watchful whims of Jerry and Stephen Jones.
That's all that should be needed to explain the difficulties present to pinpoint our problems. :muttley:

Last edited:

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
Yes Sir,
It's so ironic that most serious fans see this , but the upper management of the Cowboys does not.
You have to wonder if the Jones have anybody they trust speaking truth to them???

I have a hunch that the employees of the Joneses know they won't be around long if they question their judgment. Big egos forbid it.

Last edited:

Kingofholland

Reaction score

1) I think there are some blind spots at certain positions and misevaluating the worth of some of their inhouse talent. However, I think most of the drafts the last 6 years they've found some very good players. 4 out of the last 6 drafts have been atleast good, while 2 I would call terrible with a couple of players as exceptions. Can't say anything about their free agent acquisitions because they've been bargain shopping and haven't been players handing out bad contracts.

2) I think they did that with the Jaylon Smith contract. The other most recent bigger contracts were difficult because at the time they were high performers. Zeke and Lawrence cashed in at the right time. Dak had to be retained, but we way overpaid a good QB, elite money. We could have been smarter on the timing of these contracts or got trade value for the players we felt were declining.

3) I disagree there is definitely planning and talent here, but I question a lot of their coaching hires and the accountability.

bigE79

Reaction score
Yeah I got there a few years back but it refused to take permanently.

I'll get there one day.

Few more decades of "just missing."
Some of us don't have that luxury, unfortunately,but on the bright side we got to see the cowboys at their greatest,thank God.

NumOneQB

Reaction score
1) I think there are some blind spots at certain positions and misevaluating the worth of some of their inhouse talent. However, I think most of the drafts the last 6 years they've found some very good players. 4 out of the last 6 drafts have been atleast good, while 2 I would call terrible with a couple of players as exceptions. Can't say anything about their free agent acquisitions because they've been bargain shopping and haven't been players handing out bad contracts.

2) I think they did that with the Jaylon Smith contract. The other most recent bigger contracts were difficult because at the time they were high performers. Zeke and Lawrence cashed in at the right time. Dak had to be retained, but we way overpaid a good QB, elite money. We could have been smarter on the timing of these contracts or got trade value for the players we felt were declining.

3) I disagree there is definitely planning and talent here, but I question a lot of their coaching hires and the accountability.

In general, things have been better the last few years but look at the huge mistakes. The timing of Dak’s contract is just one of them. The retaining of Garrett-top well beyond his shelf life is another. GMs in a normal organization would’ve been canned years ago with Garrett and then a new coaching staff would’ve been turned over with a new GM hiring. Thus, why Jerruh and his royal family are the biggest problem in Dallas.

kskboys

Reaction score
I have a feeling JJ listens to what Mclay says but maybe don’t go further than that. JJ used to use the 2nd round to experiment.
Well, we did choose a project CB in the 2nd.....................