3 fatal front office flaws

kskboys

Reaction score
I agree. Yea we’ve had some misses, what team hasn’t? But I think the draft has been a strength for us. Now free agency is a different story especially when it comes or over valuing our own.
Has it? Then why can't we stop the run or run the ball?

32BellyOption

Reaction score
Has it? Then why can't we stop the run or run the ball?

Can’t fix everything through the draft. That’s where free agency and player development come in. Rams don’t win the SB without the player acquisitions they made.

GMO415

Reaction score
#4 Dallas suffers from an entitled culture. Once a player arrives here, and wear that Star, they've accomplished the pinnacle of the NFL. Here lies the problem. They don't want to put in any more effort for the playoffs. They rather start their vacation.

NoFurtherQuestions

Reaction score
There is only one....

jerry-jones-gotime.jpg

Bullflop

Cowboys Diehard
Reaction score
You know video games have helped me and I started a new hobby of tropical fish aquariums. That's really helped with the grief of 26 years of doing things "Jerry's way".

Fish aquariums do tend to calm frayed nerves quite effectively! :grin:

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Overall good job, I have to disagree with draft evaluations though. This team has been far superior to most of the league in that area. Dak I’m the 4th, diggs in the 2nd, Collins was a UDFA, Gregory, Dlaw both 2nds. Gallup, Schultz, etc They’ve had plenty of mid round hits.
True, but creating a Team capable of winning the SB is a lot more than finding talent through the draft.

Blackrain

Reaction score
#4 Dallas suffers from an entitled culture. Once a player arrives here, and wear that Star, they've accomplished the pinnacle of the NFL. Here lies the problem. They don't want to put in any more effort for the playoffs. They rather start their vacation.

I will agree and expand on that to the point that after they're here for a little bit they adopt their owners mentality.

They realize that playing games in the postseason is a higher risk to their careers than it is a financial gain for their future.

When you're a star player here making between 500k and a million a game why are you going to kill yourself to try and get to a game that you make 150k at.

noshame

I'm not dead yet......
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Over paying shiny new toys. Same flaw Jerry's had since day 1 .
Jerry has spent the better part of 30 years hiring yes men as HC's in a effort to prove he's the walrus.
But he's just a toad.

atlantacowboy

Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I am not even getting into the root of the problem, who runs it.

1) Poor talent evaluation in free agency and the draft. You can have all of the McClay love you want, past the 1st round and in free agency, he is mediocre or they ignore him. OL 1st rounders? Nothing but net. After the 1st round? Airballs.

2) Satisfaction with just satisfactory results from coaching and players. They announce they are ready every season and how much they like their guys to the point of poor evaluation when rewarding them with a new contract and you can bet on it, they’re getting ready to do that again.

Real front offices, ones with jobs on the line, can never be satisfied. Both of the participants at the Big Dance continued to improve their teams and they both got meaningful contributions from those players and maybe if Beckham doesn’t get injured he is the MVP? The only other owner/GM in the league gave his people their assignment, fix that defense.

This front office only considers adding players when they have injuries or really poor playing and it has to be really poor. Upgrading never crosses their minds because they like their guys so much. What they are really saying is that they really like themselves so much.

3) Poor planning, if there really is any planning at all. This team continually gets caught off guard, with the cap, because of reason number 1. The Rams didn’t end up at the Big Dance by luck but by design and leaving no stone unturned and they were never satisfied. They traded for Stafford and Miller and added Beckham and do not make it without those moves.

There is a 4th fatal flaw. They see no reason to address 1-3 because true evaluation begins with self-evaluation. Good enough is good enough.

We all know they "like our guys" for 2 reasons. Personal ego (I picked that guy therefore I am personally invested in his success) and lack of familiarity with other teams around the league. We have the worst FO in the NFL and that's been the case for long long time. We have a few star players, but so does every team. Ours are just more famous b/c they get to be on TV more often.

Diehardblues

Reaction score
I think it’s time for Jethro to go all in. Let’s take some risk in free agency. Let’s mortgage our future.

What does Jethro have to lose?

Diehardblues

Reaction score
We have a core of talent . Enough to take us to the playoffs.

Let’s go out and bring in a few pieces in free agency or make some blockbuster trades to put us over the top.

What do we have to lose . Our VP and GM certainly don’t have to worry about their job.

If any team is in a position to take a risk it would seem like the Cowboys.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Overall good job, I have to disagree with draft evaluations though. This team has been far superior to most of the league in that area. Dak I’m the 4th, diggs in the 2nd, Collins was a UDFA, Gregory, Dlaw both 2nds. Gallup, Schultz, etc They’ve had plenty of mid round hits.
mid round is 3-5. This is where you get the depth of your team. The rotation guys. The folks who start 2-3 games bc of injury. The guys who work hard and become starters that team doesn't owe a fortune to.

thunderpimp91

Reaction score
True, but creating a Team capable of winning the SB is a lot more than finding talent through the draft.
Agreed, I just don’t think it’s fair to list that as a negative for the team. It’s actually the one thing they’ve done really well in recent history.

Big_D

Reaction score
They've done fairly well in the draft the past 2 years and last year FA was solid. But they have to continue to build on that. The issue is the GM never has the foresight to do it or a legit long term plan. You have to build towards a window, meanwhile the dope of a GM screams in his "win now" pillow. The guy is a complete clown who can't be taken seriously and that's the fatal flaw. This is the year he gets restless and trades some picks or trades up in the draft. You could bet there will be stupidity right around the corner. He's the master, watch and learn..

IrishAnto

Reaction score
Agreed, I just don’t think it’s fair to list that as a negative for the team. It’s actually the one thing they’ve done really well in recent history.
They have done pretty well in the draft however in this day and age you have to do as well in free agency, as you won't fill all your holes even in a very good draft. This has not been good with the exception of last year. We go for bargain basement players which more often that not are failures. In addition we usually only give them one year deals, so even if one does well we can't/won't re-sign them.
And then there is the issue of taking the talent and making it better that the sum of it's parts. Bigtime fail!

CouchCoach

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
I think it’s time for Jethro to go all in. Let’s take some risk in free agency. Let’s mortgage our future.

What does Jethro have to lose?
His image of himself. As long as I don’t try to climb this mountain and fail, I can call myself a mountain climber.

Kronke could tell Snead to go all in because he had a fall guy. What GM has been running a franchise for this long with such poor results?

Mike Brown had to do something. The Bengals are not ratings and revenue darlings and his fans were getting fed up with their team, especially when the Browns started making noise.

The Cowboys were the cutest puppy in an ugly litter in the East and as long as that holds he doesn’t feel the need to do anything out of character that might make him ego vulnerable.

This stopped being about money a long time ago, it’s all about one old man’s ego now.

IrishAnto

Reaction score
The first is not true, you can't pick and choose what year they aren't good. Most if not all players acquired this year played a big factor in this team. Besides a handful of people I would take the Cowboys roster 9ver the Bengals AND Rams.
Yes by you would be crazy to take the Cowboys TEAM over the Bengals and Rams.
TEAMS win games not individual talents.
Jerry can't build good teams.