3 Mike McCarthy Replacements Cowboys Should Already Circle After Week 2

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Parcells was 34-30 in Dallas.
He didn't just splash, he sunk.
How was the franchise looking before he showed up, vs after? 5-11 ×3 ring a bell? He rebuilt the roster from scratch and revamped the scouting department. Notice how the drafts started getting better around the time he showed up? We were one of, if not the worst drafting team from 94-03. Use his record as a negative if you like, but Bill Parcells turned this team around and built a strong foundation for it to thrive on. That was the job he was given, and he succeeded. Unfortunately JJ reverted back to his puppet show after Bill left and what was left behind never reached its full potential. That's why you bring in Belichick to finish the job.

StarLord

Reaction score
LOL...McCarthy's offense is the problem. It's literally as sophisticated as some HS D1 programs. If your slot receivers are running the same routes 10 times in a game....You got problems.

I hear you, but are you aware that we've been dumbing it down year after year for Dak?

StarLord

Reaction score
And? Parcells took one of the biggest joke rosters and built it to a #1 seed in the NFC in 4 years. Belichick would do wonders with the defense, my worry with him is who he would hire to run the offense.
I'm very curious what BB would do with Micah.

fairviewfarmer

Reaction score
How was the franchise looking before he showed up, vs after? 5-11 ×3 ring a bell? He rebuilt the roster from scratch and revamped the scouting department. Notice how the drafts started getting better around the time he showed up? We were one of, if not the worst drafting team from 94-03. Use his record as a negative if you like, but Bill Parcells turned this team around and built a strong foundation for it to thrive on. That was the job he was given, and he succeeded. Unfortunately JJ reverted back to his puppet show after Bill left and what was left behind never reached its full potential. That's why you bring in Belichick to finish the job.
Not disagreeing with you.
Parcells did improve the team.
But he didn't do as well as his expectations were.
But he also had to co exist with Jerruh, so maybe that is the reason.

DeaconMoss

Reaction score
Something else in Belichick's favor is he has shown he could salad out on nothing. He never had a bunch of high-priced Superstars. Of course, Brady had a lot to do with that offensively but still.....

Also, one young guy I would keep an eye on is the Saints QC, Klint Kubaich. Jerry has some history with his family. His brother Klein is a long-time national scout for the Cowboys. I think his dad Gary now lives in the Dallas area.
Besides the spelling you are spot on. Kubiak is looking like a guy primed for a HC job soon.

JonesBoys

Reaction score
The guy took a horrible roster that was 5-11 and the next year turned them into 10-6 with Quincy Carter at QB!! The following season was rough but they are were also a Romo fumbling field goal away from winning the Seattle game and who knows maybe they get to the NFC championship game. It kills me when people say Parcells was washed here. He brought a joke of a franchise from 2000-2003 to the playoffs 2 out of his 4 years here and left them with a hell of a roster including Romo at QB. What would have happened if Parcells didn't come to Dallas??

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
Not disagreeing with you.
Parcells did improve the team.
But he didn't do as well as his expectations were.
But he also had to co exist with Jerruh, so maybe that is the reason.
Jerry's ego killed the relationship I think. If I had to guess, bringing in TO and pushing for Romo to start severed that tie. Maybe a couple of decades of no championships has swayed his thinking. Hopeful thinking.

Whiskey Cowboy

Reaction score
The guy took a horrible roster that was 5-11 and the next year turned them into 10-6 with Quincy Carter at QB!! The following season was rough but they are were also a Romo fumbling field goal away from winning the Seattle game and who knows maybe they get to the NFC championship game. It kills me when people say Parcells was washed here. He brought a joke of a franchise from 2000-2003 to the playoffs 2 out of his 4 years here and left them with a hell of a roster including Romo at QB. What would have happened if Parcells didn't come to Dallas??
Exactly. Had Jerry hired another puppet, I can't imagine how much worse the product on the field would've been. We didn't see the desired end result, but we did see a correction of course, and nearly two decades of moderate success, as opposed to the disaster that was the Dallas Cowboys before he arrived.

cowboybish

Reaction score
Story by Devon Platana
9/16/2024

The Dallas Cowboys' 16-game home win streak ended with a devastating 44-19 loss to the New Orleans Saints at AT&T Stadium on Sunday. While several Cowboys can (and should) be blamed for the embarrassing defeat, a good chunk of fingers are being pointed toward head coach Mike McCarthy.

After all, the 2024 season is a crucial year for the team and head coach. The Cowboys are desperately trying to win their first Super Bowl in nearly 30 years while McCarthy is in the final year of his five-year contract and must do whatever he can to secure an extension.

However, based on Sunday's loss, McCarthy's outlook in Dallas is far from promising. Failing to turn the ship around could cost him his job before the season is even over.

With that in mind, here are three potential McCarthy candidates that the Cowboys must consider following Week 2.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Ben Johnson
3. Steve Spagnuolo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=766ba11bcfed4e7184f6022c79abe07d&ei=17
Belichick is the only one Jerry would step aside for and let be both GM and coach but still let Jerry act like he's the GM. Bill would only come here w complete control and it is truly the only way it could work.

beware_d-ware

Reaction score
Jerry was the general manager who, not so anonymously, informed a reporter that Vrabel's presence was too intimidating.

During “The Athletic Football Show” Russini recalled a conversation that she had with an unnamed NFL general manager, who suggested that Vrabel’s physical build may have turned teams off.

“Did you know I had a GM at the Senior Bowl who mentioned to me Vrabel’s physical build,” Russini said. “That he’s a very large human being and can be very intimidating to people in an organization that are going to be part of these decisions. That is a factor.”

I mean, Vrabel's a huge guy. He was a Pro Bowl NFL linebacker. But McCarthy might have the edge on him weight wise...

Pipelayer72

Reaction score
I think staying the course will be as beneficial as anything. A little early to be considering firing McCarthy. Let's let the season pan out before we get carried away contemplating who should be fired. Good Lord.

MikeT22

Reaction score
I think staying the course will be as beneficial as anything. A little early to be considering firing McCarthy. Let's let the season pan out before we get carried away contemplating who should be fired. Good Lord.
McCarthy should've been fired last January. If it continues to go south then I'd just let Jerry and MM wallow in it, they'd be nothing to gain or salvage by then.

Bobhaze

Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Spagnuolo? No.

Ben Johnson would be great but I'd be concerned Jerry will force assistants on him.

Belichick is essentially a lock. Here's why:

1. Jerry is lazy. His two interviews for the last job were Mike McCarthy and Marvin Lewis. McCarthy has the imagination of mayonaise and here's the titles Marvin Lewis has held since the interview:
  • Co-defensve Coordinator, Arizona State
  • Special Advisor, Arizona State
  • Assistant Head Coach, Las Vegas Raiders
Very inspired choices Jerry.

2. Belichick is a big name. Jerry wins the off-season.

3. At 72, Belichick is eyeing Shula's victory record, and Dallas may offer the best opportunity to secure the 26 wins needed over the next three years. He might be open to relinquishing full roster control, allowing Jerry to maintain the facade of being the General Manager.
Belechick is washed. Even great coaches like Bill B, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll all have an expiration date. Eventually the game passes even the greatest of coaches.

I think hiring Belechick would be a complete disaster because it would not move us closer to the modern NFL. The problem with Big Mac and also Bill B is their systems are antiquated.

We are currently in desperate need of an offense AND defense that are not 20 years old. Our current HC is is basically running the West Coast offense of the 80s and 90s with route trees that are easy to cover and run schemes that are as old as the one bar face mask.

This team needs a young, modern HC who is smart, tough and capable of commanding the culture. Which is why it won’t happen because JJ would rather hire a name has been HC because it would make the team “relevant” in the short term but it won’t work here because of Jerry anyway.

We could hire the ghost of Vince Lombardi but as long as Jerry and Giggles are running this thing the HC is a Christmas ornament they can blame for their mistakes.

Mr Cowboy

Reaction score
Jerry will bring in a coach who still runs the Norv Turner offense, and or is a familiar face to him. Forget the Shanahan coaching tree!

KingintheNorth

Chris in Arizona
Reaction score
Belechick is washed. Even great coaches like Bill B, Don Shula, Tom Landry, Chuck Noll all have an expiration date. Eventually the game passes even the greatest of coaches.

I think hiring Belechick would be a complete disaster because it would not move us closer to the modern NFL. The problem with Big Mac and also Bill B is their systems are antiquated.

We are currently in desperate need of an offense AND defense that are not 20 years old. Our current HC is is basically running the West Coast offense of the 80s and 90s with route trees that are easy to cover and run schemes that are as old as the one bar face mask.

This team needs a young, modern HC who is smart, tough and capable of commanding the culture. Which is why it won’t happen because JJ would rather hire a name has been HC because it would make the team “relevant” in the short term but it won’t work here because of Jerry anyway.

We could hire the ghost of Vince Lombardi but as long as Jerry and Giggles are running this thing the HC is a Christmas ornament they can blame for their mistakes.
Nothing you said was inaccurate including the part about Jerry not brining in a
young, modern HC who is smart, tough and capable of commanding the culture.
But want you didn’t mention is Jerry has no chance of identifying that coach either. He can’t get out of his own way with his archaic football opinions.

Chasing6

Reaction score
Yes.. coaches make the decisisons. Those of you who think jerry has a red phone direct line to the coaches need to take off the tin foil hat.
So our "GM"' did not want Trance to get 98% of the preseason snaps???

Rayman70

Reaction score
I think I might change my mind on Vrabel as HC. As DC? I like this idea. I like Ben Johnson or Clint Kubiak as HC. We need youth from a HC, someone that is in the know and can connect with the new generation of players. Leadership and discipline from a HC is top priority. Bill Belichick has those 2 qualities, but I don't want someone who's going to be here MAYBE 2 years then ride off into the sunset. We need a HC and DC that can grow along with the players. DO NOT rule out how much Dallas LOVES Cliff Kingsbury, the OC over in Washington. Thats a name to watch for 2025 as our new HC. Im not a big fan of him but Jerry is. Aikman loves the guy as he proclaimed during the broadcast the other night.

Hadenough

Reaction score
Story by Devon Platana
9/16/2024

The Dallas Cowboys' 16-game home win streak ended with a devastating 44-19 loss to the New Orleans Saints at AT&T Stadium on Sunday. While several Cowboys can (and should) be blamed for the embarrassing defeat, a good chunk of fingers are being pointed toward head coach Mike McCarthy.

After all, the 2024 season is a crucial year for the team and head coach. The Cowboys are desperately trying to win their first Super Bowl in nearly 30 years while McCarthy is in the final year of his five-year contract and must do whatever he can to secure an extension.

However, based on Sunday's loss, McCarthy's outlook in Dallas is far from promising. Failing to turn the ship around could cost him his job before the season is even over.

With that in mind, here are three potential McCarthy candidates that the Cowboys must consider following Week 2.

1. Bill Belichick
2. Ben Johnson
3. Steve Spagnuolo

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nf...r&cvid=766ba11bcfed4e7184f6022c79abe07d&ei=17
None of them will be any good unless Jerry gives them full control to hire their own coaching staff and make decisions on player personnel.