31 other teams, lets discuss the draft

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
Hostile;3271711 said:
The Rams gave up 436 points in 2009. 31st in the NFL.

Defense is not a bad idea when the BPA is a difference maker.

I know they were bad but they spent a 2nd(LB),3rd(cb) and 4th (dt) on defense last year.
The year before that they took a DE first overall. The year before that they again took a DE first overall. As a matter of fact they have drafted 5 DLmen in the last 3 years. They can't afford to spend another pick their regardless of how good Suh is. They drafted Carriker to play DT anyways. He was out last year, but why draft a DT when you just took one in the first round in 08?

If you don't have a franchise QB you are better off picking one and taking the chance of missing then you are to just be horrible year after year and pray you eventually find one. Top QB's almost never get cut. Trading for one is difficult as well. If you think Clausen and Bradford are worth first round picks(regardless of if it's top 10-15) you have to go for it.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Even if the Rams loaded their defense and only allowed 14.8 points per game (best of 2009) their offense only scored 10.9 points per game.

As bad as the Rams' defense was allowing 436 points, the Giants only allowed 9 fewer points with 427 yet managed a 8-8 season because they scored 402 points compared to the Rams 175.

They started Danny Amendola for crying out loud!

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
If I were the Rams, I would trade down or take Suh. No in between on this one. It's just a matter of limited options IMO. I agree with most that there is no QB who rates the top overall pick.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3271673 said:
the smart thing to do.
Great idea, but very tough to trade out of #1 unless you hold the cards to a franchise QB.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3271989 said:
If I were the Rams, I would trade down or take Suh. No in between on this one. It's just a matter of limited options IMO. I agree with most that there is no QB who rates the top overall pick.

So if you were the Rams GM you would sign off on taking a DT in the first round for the 2nd time in 3 years?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
It's only tough if you hope to get 3000 points according to the trade value chart. If you're willing to move down very cheap there should be tons of teams lining up, otherwise it says alot about Suh and his contract.

The Realist

Reaction score
I would sign off on it no problem.

Little Suh Carriker Long

Would be a very solid DL with huge upside.

They already have a couple of good depth DL as well.

Suh is a very, very rare prospect.

When grading a prospect you not only have to grade him vs his draft class and people at his position in current draft........

You also have to grade him vs THE BEST or the Prototypes at his position.

If you do that you should know that Alex Smith doesn't compare and isn't a good value........unless you are clueless.

That way you don't just take a player at a need position, but you make sure you are getting a guy who's talent level warrants the selection.

DFWJC

Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3272102 said:
It's only tough if you hope to get 3000 points according to the trade value chart. If you're willing to move down very cheap there should be tons of teams lining up, otherwise it says alot about Suh and his contract.
I don't think it's that simple. The size of the contract for the top pick is very prohibitive and unless your absolute dream player is sitting there, the value is just not there--even if everyone used that 3000 point value (which they no longer do) as their measuring stick.

The exception is if there is a perceived "can't miss franchise QB" in the draft (Aikman, Manning), then teams are clammmering for that spot. But this season, believe it not, there is debate on who the best player actually is...though Suh usually gets the nod over Gerald McCoy or Okung or the QBs. And more importantly, the debate is wheter any single player deserves a number 1 overall grade with that pay.

Phrozen Phil

Reaction score
SDogo;3271663 said:
I'm in the same boat. No, I'm not sold on any of the QB prospects this year and the Rams are in a position that no team would like to have but I dont see how they can continue to ignore the QB position. The goal is not to be picking #1 overall year after year. I dont see a DT changing that.

Picking a QB at #1 this year would not be playing to the draft's strengths. The Rams have needs in a number of areas, and they, imho, should go for the best available talent. This draft has good strength along the D-Line and Suh has shown he can be dominant. If they continue to struggle this coming year, (and I think they will) then they can evaluate next year's crop of skill players. This is not a good year to be needing skill players (QB, WR, RB) in round one.
Like Hos has noted, Spags will look to build his Defense first. They will also need OG and LB talent as well. Even though they got Laurinaitas in the draft, they lost Witherspoon. They need to think long-term in the rebuilding process and taking a QB in the first round this year will not help them a lot. Find a seviceable FA QB and look to next year's draft. Rome wasn't built in a day and the Rams need help beyond this year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Hostile;3271711 said:
The Rams gave up 436 points in 2009. 31st in the NFL.

Defense is not a bad idea when the BPA is a difference maker.

I don't care how good or bad you are on offense or defense, it is my opinion that if you have a "Difference Maker" available to you at your pick and you can't trade out, you take that guy. I mean, what choice do you really have? If you take an inferior player, then you increase the risk of a wasted pick. It kinda reminds me of the Russell Maryland draft. Maryland was certainly a solid player for us but can anybody say that Maryland was what you would expect out of the #1 overall pick in the draft?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
The Realist;3272106 said:
I would sign off on it no problem.

Little Suh Carriker Long

Would be a very solid DL with huge upside.

They already have a couple of good depth DL as well.

Suh is a very, very rare prospect.

When grading a prospect you not only have to grade him vs his draft class and people at his position in current draft........

You also have to grade him vs THE BEST or the Prototypes at his position.

If you do that you should know that Alex Smith doesn't compare and isn't a good value........unless you are clueless.

That way you don't just take a player at a need position, but you make sure you are getting a guy who's talent level warrants the selection.

That is exactly what people said about Dorsey. Dorsey was a "cant miss" prospect, and he has yet to make a play. People fall in love with players every year and call them rare prospects. It's just selective memory. The fact of the matter is you can get pretty good DT's in the 2nd and 3rd this year. Why take one #1 overall? Haynesworth was supposed to be the best DT in the league, and he sure didn't help Washingtons win totals. You have to go QB if your the rams. Whether that is trading your first round pick for a qb or drafting one. You can't afford to take a DLmen for the 3rd time in 4 years in the first round.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Muhast;3272146 said:
That is exactly what people said about Dorsey. Dorsey was a "cant miss" prospect, and he has yet to make a play. People fall in love with players every year and call them rare prospects.

I remember just a few years back when the Rams selected Jimmy Kennedy, whom many thought was a can't miss DT prospect....

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3272151 said:
I remember just a few years back when the Rams selected Jimmy Kennedy, whom many thought was a can't miss DT prospect....

To me, Kennedy was not a can't miss prospect at all. To me, Kennedy was a destined to fail prospect.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
dallasfaniac;3272151 said:
I remember just a few years back when the Rams selected Jimmy Kennedy, whom many thought was a can't miss prospect....

yep and now Kennedy is 3rd or 4th string for Minnesota.

Obviously if they pick a QB and they miss it will hurt them.. But you can't keep having top 10 picks and not coming away with a QB for 4 straight years. Eventually you have to take a chance on a guy.

In 2006 they traded their first rounder and Denver selected Cutler.
In 2007 they go DT missed out on Brady Quinn and Kevin Kolb
In 2008 they go DE and miss out on Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco
In 2009 they go OT and miss out on Mark Sanchez and Josh Freeman.

Over the last 4 years, they have failed to address QB, and for 4 straight years they miss out on a good QB prospects to strengthen their Dline. You can't do that for a 5th straight year.

ABQCOWBOY

Regular Joe....
Reaction score
Muhast;3272146 said:
That is exactly what people said about Dorsey. Dorsey was a "cant miss" prospect, and he has yet to make a play. People fall in love with players every year and call them rare prospects. It's just selective memory. The fact of the matter is you can get pretty good DT's in the 2nd and 3rd this year. Why take one #1 overall? Haynesworth was supposed to be the best DT in the league, and he sure didn't help Washingtons win totals. You have to go QB if your the rams. Whether that is trading your first round pick for a qb or drafting one. You can't afford to take a DLmen for the 3rd time in 4 years in the first round.

I agree with you on the point about Dorsey but I fail to see how this arguement endorses the point of taking a QB. QB is probably the biggest miss position in the draft. If your point is that the Rams missed with Dorsey, why then would you take an even bigger reach at QB?

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3272159 said:
I agree with you on the point about Dorsey but I fail to see how this arguement endorses the point of taking a QB. QB is probably the biggest miss position in the draft. If your point is that the Rams missed with Dorsey, why then would you take an even bigger reach at QB?

B/c they have wasted 4 straight years of high draft picks. They have to eventually take a chance on a QB. Look at my last post about the Player they chose over players like: Matt Ryan, Joe Flacco, Mark Sanchez, Kevin Kolb, Jay Cutler, Brady Quinn, Josh Freeman. All of those would be much better then the situation they are stuck in now.

If they had been smart any of the last 4 drafts, they would have had a QB to build around and could take Suh. But they havn't been. I just don't think they can afford to not take one for a 5th straight year. Take Bradford, take Clausen. If you miss, you miss. But you have to at least address it, especially when you have addressed Dline early and often 3 straight drafts.

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
ABQCOWBOY;3272156 said:
To me, Kennedy was not a can't miss prospect at all. To me, Kennedy was a destined to fail prospect.

I didn't rave over him either, but I know people that did on the old cowboyszone site. That year, 4 DTs were taken in the first 13 picks and only one (Kevin Williams) amounted to anything.

DFWJC

Reaction score
The Realist;3272200 said:
They could Go Suh 1, McCoy 2.
That is a real possiblity that I mentioned earlier. The value may be to addrees QB later unless Bradford or Clausen blow everyone away at the combine.