31 other teams, lets discuss the draft

SDogo

Not as good as I once was but as good once as I ev
Reaction score
Lets get some draft discussion going. Every few days we can break down the rest of the draft in order starting out with the Rams.

Rd 1 Pick 1 St. Louis Rams:

There is no doubt DT Ndamukong Suh from Nebraska is the consensus top player in this draft and has been pegged to the Rams by most draft sites but we have all heard about the financial difficulties for any team that has the #1 picks in the draft. Especially a team that has taken a DE #2 overall just 2 years ago.

Also, the Rams are a team that has a glaring need at QB. If the money is going to be spent on a #1 would it not be more financially wise to invest it into a QB?

There is no doubt the Rams would love to find a dance partner and move down. If they can't, is Suh really the lock he seems to be right now.

Opinions, thoughts, comments?

dallasfaniac

Reaction score
Well since 2006, the Rams have gotten progressively worse from 8-8, 3-13, 2-14 and 1-15. In the last few drafts they have spent a bunch of picks in the defense (Hill, Carriker, Long, Laurinaitis etc.) and while the defense hasn't done them any favors, it's really the offense that held them back. Only one player threw more TDs than INTs last year and that was their kicker. Atlanta was in the perfect spot to grab Dorsey but took Matt Ryan instead and it's paid off for them. However, Atlanta's roster wasn't in the same shape the the Rams is, so it could take awhile before the roster is ready for a rookie QB.

reddyuta

Reaction score
i wouldnt draft any of the quarterbacks in this draft with a top 10 pick.the rams would be foolish not to draft a sure thing like Suh.

HoosierCowboy

Put Pearson in the HOF
Reaction score
I live in south Bend and hate Notre Dame but would probably take Claussen

DFWJC

Reaction score
I'm not sure what to think of Bradford or Clausen....guess the combines will help answer a few questions. Obviously, if either one was as a stong a prospect as Matt Ryan was, I'd say go for it.

Right now, I'm leaning toward Suh if I'm the St Loius GM. He makes Long and and the rest of that D better right away.

Also, I think they'll have a shot at QB with thier second or even third pick. And if one they likes drops to the late 1st round, they may even move up to get him....not that would be much better value, imo.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
reddyuta;3271125 said:
i wouldnt draft any of the quarterbacks in this draft with a top 10 pick.the rams would be foolish not to draft a sure thing like Suh.
I wouldn't take any of these QBs in round 1, much less the top 10.

Spagnuola is a Defensive minded HC and he needs to stick with what he knows and that means taking the best Defensive player in the race. They should go ahead and offer Suh a contract now and get it over with. Any other decision they make that does not involve bevy of Draft picks would be monumentally stupid.

I might think differently if Locker had come out. He might have been worth the roll of the dice.

The Rams should try and make a trade for Kevin Kolb or even Brady Quinn now that his value is way down. Anything but go QB #1 overall.

Focus on DL, OL, and LB. With the DL they can run out there if they add Suh they can compete. Control the LOS and you have a shot to win.

DFWJC

Reaction score
Hostile;3271239 said:
I might think differently if Locker had come out. He might have been worth the roll of the dice.
Hate to say a guy should not stay in school, but I think it was a mistake for Locker to do so. He may have been the top pick this year. I think the new union contract may involve a more balanced rookie pay scale (vs the crazy #s that top 10 guys currently get)...so this too could hurt him.

Chocolate Lab

Run-loving Dino
Reaction score
Suh is one of the best college defensive linemen, or defensive players at any position, I've ever seen.

This one is simple: Turn the card in now.

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Chocolate Lab;3271271 said:
Suh is one of the best college defensive linemen, or defensive players at any position, I've ever seen.

This one is simple: Turn the card in now.
I really don't know how they could really even dwell on it. The minute the Lions won their 2nd game I would have been working the numbers.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
This is just like when Atlanta had the 3rd pick overall and had to choose between Glen Dorsey(who was a "sure thing") and Matt Ryan.

You have to take a chance on a QB here. You can't settle for a DT with the first pick overall. You just can't.

lkelly

Reaction score
Locker at the top of round 1 would have been a huge gamble. I think only Todd McShay had him rated as a high first rounder. The draft advisory board gave him a much lower grade and as a result he stayed in school.

If I'm the Rams, I find the team that wants Suh the most and try to fleece them for as many picks as possible. Not that he wouldn't be a great choice, but they have holes to fill everywhere. A great DT won't turn it around for them. Odds are the guy will play so many snaps as a rookie on that team that he'll be ready to quit.

big dog cowboy

THE BIG DOG
Staff member
Reaction score
CowboysZone ULTIMATE Fan
Why isn't Suh under contract yet? If I were the Rams GM that would be done ASAP. Then Suh would be at the team facilities every day until camp starts. As was already mentioned Spagnuola is a defensive coach so let him build up the D. A dominate defense will keep you in games until the offense finally comes around.

Muhast

Newo
Reaction score
big dog cowboy;3271574 said:
Why isn't Suh under contract yet? If I were the Rams GM that would be done ASAP. Then Suh would be at the team facilities every day until camp starts. As was already mentioned Spagnuola is a defensive coach so let him build up the D. A dominate defense will keep you in games until the offense finally comes around.

They have been drafting defense for years now. They need to address the offense, and you just can't afford to take a DT first overall when your biggest need is offense.

SDogo

Reaction score
Muhast;3271644 said:
They have been drafting defense for years now. They need to address the offense, and you just can't afford to take a DT first overall when your biggest need is offense.

I'm in the same boat. No, I'm not sold on any of the QB prospects this year and the Rams are in a position that no team would like to have but I dont see how they can continue to ignore the QB position. The goal is not to be picking #1 overall year after year. I dont see a DT changing that.

dadymat

I'm kind of a Big Deal
Reaction score
Muhast;3271400 said:
This is just like when Atlanta had the 3rd pick overall and had to choose between Glen Dorsey(who was a "sure thing") and Matt Ryan.

You have to take a chance on a QB here. You can't settle for a DT with the first pick overall. You just can't.

Suh > Dorsey ....i get what you say about the offensive struggles but you cant leave a unique beast like Suh sitting there no matter what your needs are.....every team needs a player like Suh

SDogo

Reaction score
Romo 2 Austin;3271673 said:
the smart thing to do.

yes it is, problem is, it takes two

Hostile

The Duke
Reaction score
Muhast;3271644 said:
The Rams gave up 436 points in 2009. 31st in the NFL.

Defense is not a bad idea when the BPA is a difference maker.